I didn't think "binders full of women" was so funn

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

ehymw
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2014, 1:51 pm

So many people thought Romney's talking about "binders full of women" was hilarious a/o insane.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binders_full_of_women

I understand that it doesn't sound right but I don't think it's that amusing.

Was is just part of the Obama campaign's effort to win or is there something I'm not getting?

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2014, 10:02 pm

Moved from GAD to Random.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

ajpd1989
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2014, 3:11 am

I never got it either. I knew what he meant, but I think he could have worded it better.
Definitely didn't think it was funny or ridiculous though, and I don't know why people made such a big deal about it.

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2014, 8:33 am

The discussion, if I remember correctly, was during accusations including the claim Republicans had little respect for women's rights and the reduced level of women in the Republican party.

To show his respect and admiration for women M.R. offered his statement as proof the accusers were wrong.

He somehow thought having a binder with women's photos and statistics in it would prove history wrong and he wound-up looking foolish.

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2014, 4:17 am

It is not about being "funny." It was about a grown man running for President of the United States being stupid enough to make such an idiotic statement, especially during televised debate watched by tens of millions of people. Romney was, and is, a clown, in more ways than one, despite his ability to manage corporations into bankruptcy intentionally to make himself rich. America does not need a businessperson to be President. We need a President who has some degree of common sense. Obama may not be the greatest choice, but considering the options available, a man who would use the term "binders full of women" does not rate on the common sense scale. At least choose someone who is halfway skillful in the use of language.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2014, 7:21 am

One would hope that anyone with his experience and knowledge of so many companies would already know many competent women he could employ, rather than having to get a male member of his staff to research them. He had certainly met such women, but it seems he wasn't paying attention.

His business practices were truly disgusting, though. I'd imagine few people in the companies he bought and looted would return his calls.