have you been bullied on neurotypical forums?

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

are you intimidated/bullied in nt forums?
i've been bullied and/or feel insecure in nt forums 55%  55%  [ 11 ]
never been bullied and never felt insecure in nt forums 45%  45%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 20

felinesaresuperior
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2014, 4:57 am

are you intimidated by nt forums? i am. have you been bullied and just feel unpopular in nt forums? i do.

i feel much more comfortable in aspie forums. what about you? do you prefer aspie forums?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2014, 11:09 am

I feel insecure on most forums.
I don't think I've ever been bullied on one though. There's a few I don't fit into well. Not liking muscle cars will make you an outcast on forums dedicated to little toy cars.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in capitalistic police state called USA

30 Oct 2014, 11:12 am

I've been bullied on some but my personality on them was depressed they didn't like me complaining all the time.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2014, 11:15 am

No.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

wisenupjanetweiss
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Oct 2014, 3:34 pm

On sites with less restrictive rules against harassment/bullying, or ones that are geared towards adults (Gaia, Facebook, Deviantart, etc.) I've been the target (or, at very least, partial recipient) of "bullying", because well, you'll have members who are trolls and will do that to anyone they can.

On teen or kid based sites and forums, it's been significantly less of a problem- if anything I've been more at risk to get kicked because people have a tendency to read the way I come off sometimes as "harsh and belittling".

It's not that I really try to be, that's just sort of my defense mode. I don't like being vulnerable to those who are already known to take advantage of vulnerability; sue me for it. :roll:

TheTigress
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Oct 2014, 11:55 pm

wisenupjanetweiss wrote:
On sites with less restrictive rules against harassment/bullying, or ones that are geared towards adults (Gaia, Facebook, Deviantart, etc.) I've been the target (or, at very least, partial recipient) of "bullying", because well, you'll have members who are trolls and will do that to anyone they can.

The DeviantART forums are full of really nasty people. It actually makes me sick reading some of the replies. I stopped posting there years ago because of it. What's even scarier is it's actually toned down a bit compaired to how it used to be in the early to mid 2000's.

ReticentJaeger
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2014, 12:05 am

nick007 wrote:
I've been bullied on some but my personality on them was depressed they didn't like me complaining all the time.

I've been banned (temporarily) from a forum for a similar reason. And then I got banned permanently a year later because I was a part of a huge flame war. The American Girl Fan Message Board. It's since been taken down because the site owner couldn't pay for it, so I guess that dark time in my life is behind me.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2014, 3:40 am

I have in the past. I have been through a similar issue like Nick007 has and ReticentJaeger has. I got involved in a flame war in August 2003 on a message board because two teens started to insult me so I fought back instead of ignoring them. The someone on the board created a board so people can get away from our war and I wasn't seen as the victim but instead I was seen as one of them. He didn't want either of us posting there instead of making a rule we are not to bring the drama there. But yet he allowed one of them to post there. But I reacted to how it was handled and started spamming the board and sending my online friends there to do it and I have lost new and old friends because I felt they were against me when I would see them participating on the board. I was hurting and not getting any understanding made me feel worse and worse. Then someone decided to impersonate me on the board where the drama occurred and it was pretty obvious it wasn't me. I never found out who it was. But I had been banned from the new board and then it crashed. Not all mods like members standing up for themselves.

I have gotten rudeness at other places but I am not sure if i would consider it bullying. I find aspie forums no different because I have gotten both on them as well including here. The first time I got rudeness in an aspie forum was actually back in spring of 2003 and it was in a yahoo group for people on the spectrum. Back then I just thought it was NT behavior. Now I know brain wiring has nothing to do with it and anyone is capable of being a bullying and anyone can be rude or unfriendly.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses. Possibly OCD. Is very private about herself.

felinesaresuperior
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2014, 4:11 am

League_Girl wrote:
I have in the past. I have been through a similar issue like Nick007 has and ReticentJaeger has. I got involved in a flame war in August 2003 on a message board because two teens started to insult me so I fought back instead of ignoring them. The someone on the board created a board so people can get away from our war and I wasn't seen as the victim but instead I was seen as one of them. He didn't want either of us posting there instead of making a rule we are not to bring the drama there. But yet he allowed one of them to post there. But I reacted to how it was handled and started spamming the board and sending my online friends there to do it and I have lost new and old friends because I felt they were against me when I would see them participating on the board. I was hurting and not getting any understanding made me feel worse and worse. Then someone decided to impersonate me on the board where the drama occurred and it was pretty obvious it wasn't me. I never found out who it was. But I had been banned from the new board and then it crashed. Not all mods like members standing up for themselves.

I have gotten rudeness at other places but I am not sure if i would consider it bullying. I find aspie forums no different because I have gotten both on them as well including here. The first time I got rudeness in an aspie forum was actually back in spring of 2003 and it was in a yahoo group for people on the spectrum. Back then I just thought it was NT behavior. Now I know brain wiring has nothing to do with it and anyone is capable of being a bullying and anyone can be rude or unfriendly.

people on the internet can be nasty because they have nothing to lose. people on the job are afraid of losing their jobs. your neighbors have to live in the same building with you, and therefore it's in their best interest not to be TOO nasty, more than their nature forces them to be, lol.

but people on the net can pretty much do whatever they want. the worse that can happen is they'll be banned from a forum, and even that doesnt always happen. i mean, they can bully and be rude and not be banned in many forums. if they do get banned, however, they can always get back on the forum with a new identity. there's nothing to it.

in one forum, someone wrote he's been banned so many times he forgot how many, and just made a new name and came back, that's all.

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2014, 3:43 pm

I have had problems on all NT ones that had social or off-topic sections that I participated in. At some point there would always be clashes. I think mainly it was because we just didn't 'get' one another and its easy for misunderstandings to arise. Also I have a very low tolerance level for bullying, and would react very strongly against it whenever I thought I saw it. It was almost always directed at someone else and I would jump in. But I could very easily over-react and cause a blow up. I was kind of on a hair trigger for it.

If they were very technical special interest orientated ones, I did ok by just sticking to the subject matter and not getting involved in off-topic.

tetris
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2014, 4:14 pm

On a forum about 2 months ago, someone started trying to argue and slightly attack me because I treat my dog as a dog and not a child. Apparently because my dog isn't allowed upstairs or on the couch or in certain rooms unsupervised that I'm a bad person and don't love my dog. But that is about it.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

01 Nov 2014, 5:24 pm

Yes, I have been bullied on NT forums. I will state one example. I was on a roller coaster and theme park forum years ago. I had voiced my opinion about not liking the Son of Beast roller coaster at Kings Island for several reasons. I was then bullied by a forum member over this opinion. I then stated that I believed the coaster would be torn down, and it was. My opinions for the reason why I felt the coaster was not good were then justified.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2014, 7:40 pm

tetris wrote:
On a forum about 2 months ago, someone started trying to argue and slightly attack me because I treat my dog as a dog and not a child. Apparently because my dog isn't allowed upstairs or on the couch or in certain rooms unsupervised that I'm a bad person and don't love my dog. But that is about it.

There's no shame in being disliked by people who use the term 'fur babies' for their pets. In fact, it's a badge of honour. :)

"Many of us like to ask ourselves, What would I do if I was alive during slavery? Or the Jim Crow South? Or apartheid? What would I do if my country was committing genocide?' The answer is, you're doing it. Right now." —Former U.S. Airman (Air Force) Aaron Bushnell

BlueOrchid

02 Nov 2014, 9:58 am

Not exactly bullied, but i have been trolled by people a few times on Cracked.com :lol: Many people who seem to have high thoughts about themselves on that page i find, so people getting trolled/picked on by Schadenfreude addict's is not a rarity there :roll:

"Without deviation from the norm progress is not possible" | Frank Zappa

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2014, 2:43 pm

was basically flamed away from the sound and vision website forum. art snobs can be vicious.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2014, 3:37 pm

This is the only aspergers/autism forum I really know of....I also did not know there where specific NT forums. But yes I have had instances of being people being jerks to me on forums, not certain but I think there's even been a couple times on here might be thinking of something else though. Not really intimidated by forums that aren't designed for autistic people, sometimes interesting discussion comes up.