Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

roygerdodger
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2015, 10:39 am

My favorite shows are "A Prairie Home Companion" and "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me!"

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2015, 2:51 pm

Oh, I've always wanted to listen to NPR! I really need to look-up the channel, for my area. I liked the movie "Prairie Home Companion"!

Basso53
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2015, 12:27 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
Oh, I've always wanted to listen to NPR! I really need to look-up the channel, for my area. I liked the movie "Prairie Home Companion"!

They're usually at the lower end of the FM dial. 87-93 mhz.

You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2015, 2:02 pm

Cool!! THANKS!!

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2015, 2:06 pm

I used to listen to it a lot when they had more weekends shows that I liked, and I used to listen to the music the rest of the time whenever I was in the car.

My husband started listening to it as well about 10 years ago because it was a preset station in the car and he was looking for news. He started keeping it on there while driving, but only when the talk shows were on, he doesn't care for classical music. He brings a portable radio to the jobsite with him and keeps it on NPR during the talk shows and changes it to the sports talk radio when they play the music. He's gotten some strange looks for listening to NPR talk on a construction jobsite he says, and honestly he doesn't look or seem like somebody who would listen to it at all. He's an electrician and he works mainly in construction and remodel, and he's a 50 year old, conservative (except in things that involve rights like gay marriage and race or sexual discrimination, and in those cases he agrees with me, the liberal) Republican, white, Christian, Southern (after 30 years in the South) Good Ole Boy. Nobody looks at him funny when he listens to sports talk, because thats exactly what he looks like he should listen to, or maybe country which he doesn't like and neither do I but it's a popular jobsite background music. Luckily, since it's his radio he gets to pick whats on it, and since he's usually the oldest guy there, other guys who have radios for work just defer to him and leave them in the truck, cause more than one in an area is impossible to hear on top of the power tools and the guys yelling over the power tools.

I loved Prarie Home Companion and I discovered it after reading several of Keillor's books. I'd make it a point to listen every week while I did a ton of ironing for six people for the entire week. They also had Thistle and Shamrock, Echoes, and a bluegrass show I would sometimes listen to. I also liked Sunday Baroque but I haven't played the radio anywhere but in the car in years so I don't even know when or if any of those shows are still on. I'd like a program of World Music as well, and also music from different, specific eras.

I haven't really heard the music shows on there in years. I've heard the talk when riding with him in the car, but now I'm curious about what music programming they have. I can pick up two public radio stations in this part of the county and they are both NPR but sometimes have different programming on at the same time. I'm glad you made this thread because now I'm going to Google the stations and find out what they have on and when and listen to it.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2015, 3:29 pm

that is the ONLY thing I listen to 99% of the time, on FM. other than "coast to coast" that is. but living out in the sticks the reception is iffy, most NPR stations are in cities and meant for city listeners, and us hicks in the sticks are strictly an afterthought as far as NPR is concerned, rather like "flyover country."