Anybody with even remotely famous relatives

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2015, 1:39 am

I am a first cousin through marriage, once removed on my mother's side of Jack Youngblood, the Hall of Fame defensive end for the Los Angeles Rams in the 70s and 80s.

My father's mother's father's mother's (great great grandmother's) older sister, Laura J. Mauk, was a Protestant missionary to Japan who taught English. Most information I've been able to get about her came from this Japanese language book:

http://books.google.com/books/about/Ano ... fAtgAACAAJ

I first found out about her when I was looking through our old family records and came to a list of relatives and their status and found that Laura Mauk lived in Tokyo, Japan. I was able to trace my lineage to her younger sister Lulu Biles (nee Mauk), who gave birth to my great grandfather Biles. From the book, Another splendor of God, I found out that Lulu was born as a twin, but her twin sister died not long after birth. From the book, I also found out the family was Pennsylvania Dutch (a group of ethnic Germans that settled in North America in the 18th century).

She lived in Tokyo, capital of the Japanese Empire, from 1914 until 1946, all the while retaining her U.S. citizen status and not becoming a Japanese citizen; as a consequence, when Japan responded to the U.S. interning Japanese citizens and U.S. citizens of Japanese descent, she was sent to an internment camp, where she stayed from September 1942 until August 1945. During this time, she was offered a trip back home to the United States, but she refused to leave Japan over the course of the war. She had a very positive impact on the internment camp director, whose wife and he became Christians under her influence. When the firebombing of Tokyo was in full force, she was known to pray, to ask that she die instead of the tens or hundreds of thousands of Japanese civilians who were dying the air raids.

After Japan's surrender, she stayed in Japan for about a year and helped increase understanding between the Japanese and the American troops. She left in 1946 for a yearlong tour of the United States, but returned to Japan in 1947 and continued to minister and help with the rebuilding, etc. She finally left Japan in 1952 or 1953 for good, but not before receiving the the award of 5th class, Order of the Sacred Treasure, which was presented to her by the Empress of Japan. She died in Oklahoma in 1962.

Anyone else?

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2015, 2:24 am

My Father in law invented a very important piece of military equipment for the government. He also met every president since the 70's while he was alive and knew some famous people who sent letters and cards when he died.

My father was in Who's Who.

My husbands cousin was a state supreme court justice.

My oldest son was on the news and in the paper in second grade when he held an event against racism.

My husband and I were on a talk show.

I used to write an op-ed column for a newspaper in Bham and have published a few articles in some magazines.

My cousin's baby was on the cover of a baby magazine.

That's pretty much it. Nobody that's for real famous.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2015, 8:07 am

My cousin wrote a song for Eddie Rabbit (I THINK it was "Just You and I"----but, I couldn't swear to it).

I've been published a few times----newspaper (included my picture), and magazines. When I was living in Britain, I met, shook hands with, and talked to Prince Charles, for about a whole 2 seconds----and have a Polaroid picture of him, somewhere. We exchanged a few comments, each, about a Royal Navy base, and I asked him how Princess Diana was. He was visiting a Royal Air Force base, at which I just happened to be. Also, I've met a few celebrities in my many travels to New York City, and Country Music Festivals----no "A-listers", though----and, I have a few books, signed by their authors, including Maureen McCormick ("Marsha, Marsha, Marsha!"). I was also on a TV show, just because I happened to be the secretary for the company where the person, they were doing a segment on, worked, and I was in a shot.

I have another cousin, who is currently serving a prison sentence for running a Meth lab, who got his name, story, and picture in the the local newspaper. Apparently, he was some kind of, like, "ring leader" for a HUGE "operation". LOL

Lightligurua
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Jan 2015, 11:37 pm

My cousins a semi pro darts player I guess

MrBoddy2005
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Jan 2015, 9:11 am

George Washington, Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Elizabeth II Of England & Her Descendants

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2015, 9:17 am

I had a great uncle who got $100,000, in 1919, for a song he composed. I would say he was "semi-famous" in his time. He didnt' write the lyrics, though--only the music. He's "famous" within the context of ragtime/piano roll music.

I have a third cousin who was a semi-famous visual artist.

In the 19th century, my father's side of the family was locally famous in Grand Rapids, Michigan; they were "leading citizens."

Zajie
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2015, 9:42 am

From where my family originally comes from my family were a famous clan, there were many with important positions, I found out about my family/clan on google and a whole wikipedia article about them so I guess they are famous lol

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2015, 9:49 am

My Great Grand-fathers brother was an artist commissioned by Queen Victoria to paint events such as her Diamond Jubilee, the BBC made a whole programme about one of his paintings a few years back.

Here is one of my favourites.

He was more famous for his military work.