Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

How strict were your parents on a scale of 1-10?
1-2 20%  20%  [ 2 ]
3-4 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
5-6 40%  40%  [ 4 ]
7-8 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
9-10 30%  30%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 10

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2016, 9:23 pm

On a scale of 1-10, how strict were your parents?

Mine were sort of strict, I'd say maybe a 5/10. Part of the reason is they didn't need to be strict with me as I was naturally "good", but they did have a few rules:

-I wasn't allowed to get my ears pierced until middle school

-No make-up until high school

-No friends that did drugs

-No violent movies

-No violent rated video games (I wasn't allowed to play The Sims 2 as a preteen because it said it had "violence" in it)

-I wasn't allowed to anywhere alone until I was 15

-I wasn't allowed to use the computer after 11:00 PM

Other than that, my parents didn't have many other rules, except for rules that involving acting appropriately such as not running around a restaurant and being polite and respectful towards others. They were quite big on that.

How about you?

Canadian, young adult, student demisexual-heteroromantic, cisgender female, autistic

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in capitalistic police state called USA

02 Jun 2016, 10:07 pm

I would guess a 5 or a 6. They did NOT understand my Aspergers or my other disabilities & were very critical of some of my quirks. School was a huge struggle for me because of my issues & my parents pushing me to do my homework & study more caused me to have lots of meltdowns. When I had meltdowns & tantrums with my parents which were very often cuz of them being on my back & my other issues; I would yell/scream & curse them out. My mom threatened to send me to military school, put me up for adoption, have me arrested, or kick me out of the house. They never did any of those things thou & I was living with them in my mid 20s & still having meltdowns & tantrums with them cuz they were on my back about me being unemployed because of my disabilities despite the fact I was doing my best to find a job. The main punishment I received was having my TV taken away which they didn't do till I had a meltdown/tantrum where I cursed them out & they quit doing that 1ce I graduated high-school. They never had a lot of rules I thought were stupid or anything thou. I was a loner who loved being home & I couldn't drive due to bad vision & I lived in a rural town without public transportation so I could never really go out anywhere on my own. There was no where I really wanted to go except places to eat so I spent must of my time in my room. They did complain that it was unhealthy for me to spend too much time by myself & they complained about my lack of friends but they never really did anything about it.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2016, 10:55 pm

I just typed up a nice long reply and then I lost it because the website went down. :x

Anyway, I put 5-6. It's an average between my parents, my dad is about a 2 and my mom is usually about a 5 although she also jumped up to 7-8 for a while and that was the single wort time in my life so far. I could explain it in more detail if anyone cares, I just don't feel like typing that all up again at the moment.

Diagnosed with Asperger's, ADD, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder in 2004.
In denial that it was a problem until early 2016.

Deviant Art

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2016, 2:48 pm

My parents weren't really strict at all. They didn't really need to be with me as I barely ever wanted to leave the house and I never really got into trouble. My dad was very rebellious growing up due to his parents having a lot of strict rules, so I think he was afraid the same would happen to me if I had too many rules. I was basically allowed to watch whatever I wanted on TV and listen to whatever music I wanted. My mom's only rules were when it came to what I wore. I wasn't allowed to wear two piece bathing suits, strapless shirts, halter tops, excessive makeup or crop tops and my mom didn't let me wear pants with words on the seat, but I never really wanted to wear those things anyway, so it was never a big deal.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2016, 7:21 pm

I'd say my parents were pretty average when it came to rules. I wasn't usually poorly behaved although my performance at school was a concern. My mom, however, was constantly pressuring me to diet and exercise and lose weight even as a little kid. I couldn't seem to do enough physical activity for her. One time she told me I had to play outside between breakfast and lunch, then again afterwards until supper (except when I was in school). I'd be cold and bored and it felt like she never let up on me. If I touched food both my parents' were like, "What're you eatin'? You just ate a ___." Even though they didn't keep a lot of junk food and encouraged my brother and me to eat fruit or vegetables as snacks. Just about everything else - cheese, bread, crackers - was forbidden. My brother was thin so he could eat pretty much whatever he wanted, and didn't he let me know it. I My mother used to weigh 120 lbs and said she felt fat even at that weight. My dad, on the other hand, has always been overweight and has a huge belly. Guess which parent I take after the most? :(

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2016, 7:24 pm

My parents aren't strict at all, thankfully.

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII