Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2016, 8:25 am

Anyone ever had an epiphany, good or bad, that changed your whole outlook or perspective, possibly shifted the proverbial wheel of your whole life? What was it, how did you come by it?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2016, 8:49 am

The epiphany that most affected my life came to me in the late 1980s. That's when I finally realized that my parents and siblings could not have cared less about me, and that it would not matter to them if I was gone from their lives forever. This led to me relocate about 2000 miles away from them and achieve success (career, home, family, friends, et cetera) on my own, and without their involvement.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2016, 9:05 am

Fnord wrote:
The epiphany that most affected my life came to me in the late 1980s. That's when I finally realized that my parents and siblings could not have cared less about me, and that it would not matter to them if I was gone from their lives forever. This led to me relocate about 2000 miles away from them and achieve success (career, home, family, friends, et cetera) on my own, and without their involvement.

How did you build up the courage to do it? How did you achieve success in your career and friendships? Perhaps that could be in one of your last posts - I'm genuinely curious to know.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2016, 2:22 pm

I had a major epiphany last year during my awakening.
For the first time I was able to watch my own thoughts and realise 99% of what I thought was BS.
I realised everyone was the same, just they had more or less control of their BS than I did.
Everyone makes up their own BS and then they believe it.
And it's all BS, basically.
Your thoughts make your identity.
And you have complete control over your thoughts.
But you think you don't.

Doesn't really make it any clearer, does it? :P

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2016, 2:36 pm

I just had another epiphany.
Fnord has only one post left.

:(

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2016, 6:00 am

Quote:

From what, or to what, did you awaken?

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2016, 12:55 pm

I had an epiphany when B19 was posting a whole lot of articles on narcissism, and reading them, nearly WRECKED me, because I came-to the realization that I had grown-up with THREE narcissists and they had played me, my ENTIRE life (as a kid----and, still WOULD be)----and, that's NEVER a good feeling (finding-out you've been played).

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2016, 2:53 pm

C2V wrote:
Quote:

From what, or to what, did you awaken?

From sleepwalking.

tanq
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Sep 2016, 3:01 pm

Several years ago when my therapist said I had accomplished all that I could hope to regarding my emotional problems, and that I have to accept everything that is still wrong with my life.

I felt like I'd been set free. I had worked long and hard on the cognitive therapy exercises, and had made great improvement. To stop striving and just learn to accept life as it happened was wonderful.

anagram
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2016, 2:14 am

i think my biggest epiphany was the realization that there's no prize at the end of the rat race. because it has no end. it's only a thing that gives people some purpose in life, but it wouldn't have given me any. and i realized that if "the way there" isn't rewarding in any way, then there's no point in pursuing anything. so-called success means nothing

it was the absolute end of my life as i knew it (all in all not a bad thing), and the beginning of a life that is still only beginning. i was 25 or so. i was an almost completely different person back then. what caused the "epiphany" was a combination of things eventually culminating in mental exhaustion and depression. but i guess what triggered it was that i was finally forced to look beyond college, and all i saw was even more of the things i had been trying to run from all my life. pitch-black darkness. i would only be another cog in the machine that only made my life so miserable and that i hated so much

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2016, 3:33 am

I had 2:

When I realized that it's not aspergers that held me back, it was anxiety. The wanting for comfort. The needs of predictably...

And

Everyone is a human. NTs are no exceptions, whether under the influence of their own illusions or not. So does anyone from whichever neurology.
While I will never be proud to be one, I could at least learn how to forgive myself and try to be responsible.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.