Veteran

31 Oct 2016, 7:12 pm

Do you have to vote?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2016, 7:20 pm

Are you kidding?

In the US forty percent of eligeble voters usually dont bother to vote. Some countries have compulsory voting. But not the USA. So no. You dont "have to" vote in a US election.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in capitalistic police state called USA

31 Oct 2016, 7:21 pm

Nobody is forced to vote in the US but some feel like they have to because of how important & how close the election is.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2016, 5:48 am

It isn't required, and if one doesn't vote, I can't say I blame them, considering the candidates we have running.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2016, 8:04 am

I wonder if I'll ever vote. Waiting in line with a big crowd to go into a booth and make a bunch of decisions, doesn't sound like my cup of tea.

Are there any restrictions against mentally disabled people voting?

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2016, 1:44 pm

I'm Canadian, so I can't vote. I don't even vote in my own country. And we're all royally screwed anyway. :(

I was once told that I should vote because it's something women were not always allowed to do. Yeah, but most politicians are still male, and all of them are the cancer of the earth. :evil:

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2016, 2:23 pm

EzraS wrote:
I wonder if I'll ever vote. Waiting in line with a big crowd to go into a booth and make a bunch of decisions, doesn't sound like my cup of tea.

That's why it's best, IMO, NOT to wait 'til you get to the "booth", to make your decisions----I work, DILIGENTLY (research candidates / issues), to fill-out my paper at HOME; so that when I get there, all I have to do is copy everything over to my official ballot.

Also, alot of states have gone-back to paper ballots; so, there are no "booths", as such----just a waist-high desk, with a 3-sided partition (almost EXACTLY like the middle person in the final round of Jeopardy----except with a partition in the FRONT, as well).

The crowds can be a bit daunting----but, I can deal with them much better than I can deal with the standing; I usually take my toolbox to sit down on, when I've heard about long lines (I have a bad back from a car accident, and can't stand for long periods of time).

Who knows, though, Ezra----you just might make it, someday. Never give-up!!

Last edited by Campin_Cat on 01 Nov 2016, 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2016, 2:24 pm

No you don't have to...though it is at least a good idea to vote on the issues for your state.

Brainfre3ze_93
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2016, 3:16 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
It isn't required, and if one doesn't vote, I can't say I blame them, considering the candidates we have running.

^ This

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2016, 5:16 pm

EzraS wrote:

Are there any restrictions against mentally disabled people voting?

Presumably most voters know how they are voting long before they stand in line at the poll. you're not supposed to wait until the current closes behind you in the booth to "make your decisions". Though on down ballot stuff (who you want as dog catcher, or how you vote on the local Smoking in Public Places Referendum) I suspect that most folks havent a clue until they enter the booth.

You cant vote if you are a convicted felon serving time in the big house. But I am embarrassed to say I dont really know for sure the answer to your question about mental illness, but I seriously doubt that there are any restrictions on that for voting (it would be too easy for vested interest to abuse it to surpress voting). You being autistic wouldnt affect your voting rights.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2016, 8:43 pm

People with mental illness can vote unless they aren't considered an adult cuz of their illness like if their parents are considered their guardians & make legal desisions for them. Parents would have to go to court or something to have it done thou. You can vote by mail in some states like Vermont. That's how I voted. You cant vote by mail in Louisiana thou & it may be too late to register to vote by mail in the states that allow it. The lines aren't as bad if you vote early but the lines for early voting are worse this year cuz some people are worried about Trump supporters stopping African Americans from voting or 2nd amenendement advocates will shoot up the polling places on election day.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2016, 4:06 am

nick007 wrote:
People with mental illness can vote unless they aren't considered an adult cuz of their illness like if their parents are considered their guardians & make legal desisions for them. Parents would have to go to court or something to have it done thou. You can vote by mail in some states like Vermont. That's how I voted. You cant vote by mail in Louisiana thou & it may be too late to register to vote by mail in the states that allow it. The lines aren't as bad if you vote early but the lines for early voting are worse this year cuz some people are worried about Trump supporters stopping African Americans from voting or 2nd amenendement advocates will shoot up the polling places on election day.

I wonder why online voting isn't an option.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2016, 4:10 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
I'm Canadian, so I can't vote. I don't even vote in my own country. And we're all royally screwed anyway. :(

I was once told that I should vote because it's something women were not always allowed to do. Yeah, but most politicians are still male, and all of them are the cancer of the earth. :evil:

Whatever happened to Kim Campbell?

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2016, 5:55 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
nick007 wrote:

I wonder why online voting isn't an option.
They had online voting in an ep of Dilbert. Someone who worked on the site to create it put the fake name on the ballot, Harry Ass McGee. People had voting parties where they got drunk & voted & Harry Ass McGee won.