This product is not food. It is a children's play product.

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2024, 11:12 pm

Today at Walmart I bought a toy called Big Feelings Pineapple. It's a plastic pineapple with many different pieces you can attach to it to give it many different facial expressions. It's supposed to help teach children social-emotional and fine motor skills, but it's basically a glorified Mr. Potato Head. I thought it was really cute though, so I bought it.

Anyway... there is a warning on the on the box it came in saying "This product is not food. It is a children's play product"
That should be obvious. But apparently we are dumb enough to think this plastic cartoony yellow pineapple with eyes, arms and a mouth is real and try to eat it. That would be one very crunchy and flavorless pineapple.

Of course the lawyers very likely told them them put that warning on the box. Whoever "they" are. But it's got to be the silliest disclaimer I've seen since the adult-sized Superman costume warning that wearing it does not enable flight.

modernmax
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2024, 12:16 am

Weird Al said he sued Panasonic for not telling him to not use their microwave to dry off his cat. Apparently this turned out to be a real disclaimer.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

20 Jul 2024, 11:15 am

Yep... :roll:

PineappleLobster
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2024, 11:17 am

^remember: don’t eat peanut butter if you’re allergic to peanuts

He/him they/them
~~~~~~~~~~

Feel free to send me a PM! :)

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

20 Jul 2024, 11:20 am

:lol: Incredible that someone thought it needed to be stated.

utterly absurd
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2024, 3:01 pm

Hmm... my shoes don't have a warning that they don't allow me to walk on the surface of water. That sounds fun. I should go down to the lake this afternoon and try it.
I'm sure it'll work, otherwise they really should put a warning on it. I mean, what else could "New Balance" mean besides "it uses a New technology that lets you Balance on top of a lake"?
And on that topic, spoons should really specify they aren't Small Portable harpOONs. If we'd known, why would anyone even buy them?

Feel free to PM me--I like to talk about most things other than sports.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2024, 6:57 pm

It should be obvious that it's not food. I guess some people can't tell the difference.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2024, 7:27 pm

I guess some people lawyers can't tell the difference.

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2024, 8:13 pm

Cornflake wrote:
Yep... :roll:

In all fairness, that comes about because some peanut allergies are life threatening, so the rule is more or less if there's any peanut in there as an ingredient, it has to be listed. It can be a bit silly in terms of literal peanut butter being included, but it beats the alternative of having rules where there are peanuts known to be in the product, but for technical reasons it doesn't need to be listed.

Basically all food products these days are required to have a listing of the allergens in there.

Then again, there are products like ginger ale that may contain 0% ginger, so it's does kind of make sense, at some point somebody may make a peanut-free peanut butter.

ElmersTrueLove
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2024, 8:29 pm

Why did I think this was Miniverse related due to the Controversy?

Elmer's wife since 2022

.。*゚+.*.。 ゚+..。*゚+

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2024, 7:24 am

A peanut is not a nut.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2024, 7:32 am

Decades ago, a household products company promoted a new lemon-scented dishwasher detergent by hanging little sample bottles on people's doorknobs. A not insignificant number of people then became ill because they ingested it. The little bottles did superficially resemble actual bottles of lemon juice.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2024, 8:19 pm

I didn't think this post was going to get any comments. :)

I've seen some non-food products that look very similar to the real thing, like scented candles that resemble scoops of ice cream. But this plastic pineapple looks less real than Spongebob's house.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2024, 7:25 am

I expect it's just legal back-covering. Like when my wife had a severe spider bite they asked us if it was the result of domestic abuse, as if they thought I'd been chasing her round the house flinging dangerous spiders at her. They knew it was just a spider bite, but they didn't dare not ask.

I heard that a lot of silly product disclaimers are a result of Californian law - they wanted disclosures about lead content etc., and the marketers responded all over the USA by putting them on everything regardless, so that people would reject them as meaningless.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in capitalistic police state called USA

23 Jul 2024, 11:06 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
I heard that a lot of silly product disclaimers are a result of Californian law - they wanted disclosures about lead content etc., and the marketers responded all over the USA by putting them on everything regardless, so that people would reject them as meaningless.
I find it funny when I read something like "Known to cause cancer in the state of California" like something can only case cancer in that one US state but not others or only people in one US state know it cases cancer :lol:

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition