Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2024, 4:33 pm

Mine is pretty big. Both of my parents had 4 siblings. Most of my aunts and uncles had 2 kids.

When I was a kid, I liked having a big family much of the time. There was always someone to play with. Of course, there was always stressful family drama going on, too.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2024, 4:41 pm

Just mom and me - it's my immediate family. My mom was the youngest child out of four - she had two brothers, Stanisław and Jan and a sister whose name was Elżbieta :) Uncle Stanisław died when I was eight, he never started a family on his own, I guess it's because he was disabled - he was almost completely blind. Uncle Jan in turn has a daughter who is a lesbian so she will never have children on her own either. Aunt Elżbieta had three children and one of them died when he was just 4 days old. Her two remaining kids though started families and each of them had two own children too. One of her granddaughters already has two young children. But I have also a large extended family, many distant cousins, uncles and aunts whom I don't know though.

utterly absurd
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2024, 4:46 pm

My dad's family is relatively big. He has 4 siblings and I have 8 cousins. That family's also awesome cause there's practically no stressful drama.
My mom's immediate family is smaller (2 aunts/uncles, 2 cousins) but beyond that it balloons to include almost everyone in the midwest (/hyperbole). I don't know any of those people though.
One reason I wish I had siblings is if I ever have kids I want them to have cousins.

Feel free to PM me--I like to talk about most things other than sports.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2024, 5:46 pm

There's only 2-3 of us in the household.
Usually just me and my mom, my sister goes back home nowadays and work abroad.
My dad has been in abroad for most of my life.

Immediate family is below average.
Just 4 of us.

Past that, I have 1 paternal uncle I've never met, 3 paternal aunts I've been close to at one point or another, 5 maternal aunts and 6 maternal uncles scattered around the world.

Most of them have kids.
While I'm sure I have at least 6 paternal first cousins and then met and played with all but one, I don't know how many maternal first cousins I have maybe more than 20 and only met some of them at least twice or never.

Nevermind my grandparents and their siblings.

Paternal side, grandpa has 4 other siblings and with possibly more half siblings, grandma have at least 3 or 4 other siblings I rarely ever meet...
Most of them have a kid, thus my dad's cousins and the second cousins that came out of there... I met at least half of them.
And are scattered around few nearby regions.

Maternal side, grandpa has at least 13 siblings and most of them are sisters, grandma has at least 7 siblings that I don't remember meeting.
The same can be said with her cousins and the second cousins that came with it.
Some of her aunts are younger than my mom, therefore she has cousins that are younger than me.
Most of them are in my mom's birth town, which is an island hours plane ride or a day on a ship away.

Don't get me started with my great grandparents.
My paternal and my maternal grandpas' respective moms outlived both my grandpas.
I met and lived with my paternal grandpa's parents at my earliest years.

Yes, my great grandpa through my paternal's side and through my grandpa is a huge mischief thus paternal grandpa having at least more than 6 or so half siblings. And his wife lived the longest, old enough to meet her own great-great grandchild.
Met my maternal grandpas' mom at least once.
Never met any of my either grandma's parents. Nevermind their aunts and uncles, their cousins and so on...

And spreading down along, some of my paternal cousins have some kids.
First cousins have 2 in total. One each, only 2 of my paternal first cousins are married.
Paternal second cousins I'm sure they're either too young or too busy to have that yet. Don't know if any of them is even married.

I don't know about my maternal cousins, but I counted at least 5. Some of them are already married.
Age range of my maternal second cousins is vast that some are as old as my mom to someone too young to marry yet. I don't know much about them.

That's as far as I can tell for now.

Not that we're able to have a reunion on either sides. We're kinda scattered all around.

My youngest paternal aunt lives across the street along with only 4 of my cousins with the two of them are her's, occasionally my second youngest paternal aunt goes back and forth living across the street to working abroad.

Next nearest would be my paternal grand aunt through my grandpa is 20+ mins walk to my old home, other paternal grand aunt through my grandpa is either 30+ mins walk from home or is in the states abroad...

Anyone else could be anywhere outside the city, really.
I cannot simply and exactly tell who's all dead and who's all alive yet.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2024, 6:17 pm

Depends on how I define it.

"Many of us like to ask ourselves, What would I do if I was alive during slavery? Or the Jim Crow South? Or apartheid? What would I do if my country was committing genocide?' The answer is, you're doing it. Right now." —Former U.S. Airman (Air Force) Aaron Bushnell

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2024, 6:31 pm

I have three cousins on my father's side and one cousin left on my mother's side, but they live in another country and I haven't seen them in a very long time. Everyone in my parents' generation is gone except for one aunt, also in another country.

I only have my sister and my nephew, who are wonderful but it breaks my heart to have so few people in my corner.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2024, 6:40 pm

For me, it’s a bit difficult knowing that I have lots of family out there, but they don’t want a relationship with me on account of religion, especially since many of them are decent people apart from that. It doesn’t bother me as much as it used to because I’ve gotten used to it. I do miss some of them sometimes, though.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2024, 6:40 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Depends on how I define it.

You can define it however you want to.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2024, 6:43 pm

I have my kids, my mother and my brother as immediate family.

My dad's side of the family is all passed except for two adopted cousins. The family surname ends with my brother because his son is also adopted with a different surname.

I have lots of cousins on my mum's side but they're all over UK, USA, and even in Spain. I don't see or talk to any of them anymore. Mum has two sisters still living in California but they're both rather gaslighty and I avoid them.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2024, 6:56 pm

While my biological family is big and all have their issues...

:twisted: I stay out of their dramas and don't choose a side.

I'm aware of it, usually it's about money, but far away from the situation itself.
It's not like I can do anything about it at all, really. And it's not like anyone actually can pull me into such situations that easily.

I have the power to approach them fearlessly in a neutral state and not play games or fall into stupid relational and obligation based traps.

If they happened to have stupid attitudes with my differences, my 'lack of typical milestones' like having kids and marriage (or/and judge my parents for it), it's more of a them problem and everyone else will see it since I'm not even being obnoxious about it. :P

So yeah.
It's more like they have to appeal to me to get close to me than the other way around. It's also my choice if I ever choose to approach them without any pressure; I can choose to be as 'unreliable'...

The main reason why I'm not so easily targeted because I don't need something from them and they won't get something from me. :lol:
Except time spent if there's ever a chance.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2024, 7:47 pm

My original 4 is my mum, dad, kid sister and I. My sister is married and I have a niece. That adds my brother in law, mother and father in law. I have two cousins who are the sons of my dad's deceased sister-my aunt. My niece has 2 uncles and 2 aunts that I know of. I have 6 uncles on my mum's side who are still alive. My aunt who was my mum's only sister passed away earlier this year. I have a step grandma who's got dementia, but I love her dearly.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2024, 1:45 am

Medium-size in reality I suppose, but I don't feel like I have a big family anymore. My mum has a sister and she had two kids so I have an aunt and uncle and two cousins on that side. Haven't seen them in decades though.

My dad has two brothers and I have 5 cousins on that side. When we were young that whole side of the family got together at Christmas and I loved that so much. Then my dad fell out with his dad and we didn't see them again. I've recently reconnected with some of the cousins and my aunt and uncle but my dad still doesn't talk to any of them.

I used to get quite upset that my sisters and parents weren't interested in doing the big family christmas thing that I enjoyed so much as a kid, particularly when we had our own kids. My daughter barely knows her cousins or aunts. She only sees her grandparents in my side a few times a year even though they're close geographically. I've accepted that now, I don't expect anything different but it still disappoints me.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in capitalistic police state called USA

08 Aug 2024, 6:54 pm

I'm an only child. My parents had enough problems raising me with my various disabilities & health issues growing up & both my parents worked hard.

My mom's parents had four kids, three daughters & one son. My mom's brother was in the navy & died as a young adult due to drowning before he had his own family. One of my aunts is still married & they had three kids, two daughters & one son. Those cousins are all married & have kids of their own. My other aunt died a few years ago due to cancer. She had been married & divorced a couple times. She had two kids, one daughter & one son. The daughter took after her mom & has also been married & divorced a couple times & also has two kids, one daughter & one son. She had a stepson as well but divorced the dad once her kids were out of school. My aunt's son has been living with a girlfriend & has at least one kid. My grandpa died like 9 years ago after having Alzheimer's for a long time & very shortly after he was put in nursing home. My grandma is still alive & has been in a nursing home after the last major hurricane f#cked-up the roof on her house since she was having problems getting around. The house cant be sold for Medicaid reasons so my parents & extended family are letting the house rot & keeping the grass cut so the neighbors & the city will not complain or anything.

Both my grandparents on my dad's side died a long time ago. Grandpa died when I was in 4th grade due to heart problems & my grandma died about 20 years ago after fighting cancer a few years. They had four kids, three sons & one daughter. One of my uncle's has been single most of life & never had any kids probably due to lack of desire. My other uncle got divorced when I was little & got remarried like a decade later & is still married. He had one daughter with his first wife. His second wife didn't have any kids. My cousin got married like 10 years ago & may have kids but not sure. My aunt got divorced when I was little & got remarried a little over 20 years ago. She had two kids with her first husband, one daughter & one son. Both of of my cousins are married & have their own kids. My aunt's second husband didn't have any kids.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2024, 8:49 pm

DuckHairback wrote:

I used to get quite upset that my sisters and parents weren't interested in doing the big family christmas thing that I enjoyed so much as a kid, particularly when we had our own kids. My daughter barely knows her cousins or aunts. She only sees her grandparents in my side a few times a year even though they're close geographically. I've accepted that now, I don't expect anything different but it still disappoints me.
I feel for you. That's quite sad and unfortunate. I wish I could have family gatherings myself but I don't have any kids and my only family in this country is my sister and nephew. We do get together for Christmas. We used to have the big family gatherings when I was a kid.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2024, 2:25 am

my family is pretty big, my grandmother from my mom's side, she had 7 children, 5 from her first husband, my grandfather died before I was born, she got married again 20 years later to her second husband, she had 2 kids with him, I have a uncle who is my age LOL, his 54th birthday was in June or July, I think June, his sister, my aunt is younger than me. I have 2 cousins, really 3, my aunt didn't want her, she was young, so my cousin got adopted, I never knew this until much later, when my cousin was an adult, she went looking for her, her older sister, she found her too. My aunt & uncle from my grandmother second marriage, they have 2 children, their children have children, I never met. I met 2 uncles on my dad side, I never met his parents & my other family from his side, my dad was from Iran, I have ALOT of cousins from my dad side I never met.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2024, 3:41 pm

My mom, my NT sister and I are immediate family, therefore three people.