Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Have you read Pollyanna by Eleanor H. Porter?
Yes 43%  43%  [ 6 ]
No 57%  57%  [ 8 ]
Don't remember 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 14

JosetteJoy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Sep 2024, 3:49 am

Just curious. I've been thinking about it lately.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2024, 6:27 am

I think they read it to us at school. Glancing now at the plot, it sounds familiar.

Interesting that it taps into "positive thinking" as a mood-management thing. I'm not sure that it works very well in real life, except on people who have been seeing things in a jaundiced light. To me, there's simply an upside and a downside to most things.

I prefer The Secret Garden because it seems a tad more authentic to real life. The protagonist is a spoiled brat who inadvertantly improves a boy because she's even worse than he is.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2024, 6:38 am

I have this book on my shelf, I got it as a preteen girl and of course I read it several times. In my teens, I read also the second volume - because I believe there are two volumes of the adventures of Pollyanna, am I right?

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2024, 6:48 am

OMG, I just checked it - there are so maaaaaany sequels 8O 8O 8O But I believe it's just the two first books that got published in Poland.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2024, 6:58 am

I read Pollyanna when I was about 10 and I liked it. I didn't find out until a few years later that I was supposed to find it cloying and annoying because she was too positive and unrealistic. I don't remember it now so I'm not sure what I would think of it, but I'm guessing it might make me feel cynical and annoyed.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2024, 7:25 am

Mum has I think.

We have it on video. My Grandmother loved it so bought the tape so we have it after she died. We still watch it on rare occasions.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2024, 7:47 am

I've read to e book and watched the movie when I was in Grade 5. It's a very good book. I like Pollyanna. I find her very relatable even though she's a girl. She moved to America as an orphan from I think England. I don't remember the entire story but I remember bits and pieces of it.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2024, 11:29 am

I haven't read the book nor watched the movie, but Pollyanna has to be, for me, one the least relatable characters ever. In fact "Pollyanna" is one of my favorite words for a person full of unrealistic and toxic positivity.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2024, 9:17 am

No. It was never assigned reading and I had no interest.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2024, 9:31 am

I really liked the book and movie when I was a kid. I found it entertaining, funny, and comforting. Sure, I suppose it could be pushing more of a toxic positivity message now that I think about it, but as a kid, I desperately needed some positivity. I tended to catastrophize a lot. My mom modeled that behavior on a regular basis, not that I’m blaming her for it. It was soothing for me to look for the silver lining in things - not the big things but everyday life. Despite what my mom says, no, our day won’t be “ruined” if it rains, so I don’t need to worry about it. That sort of stuff. I was a very anxious kid.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2024, 10:26 am

Now you're making me curious. I wonder if I can find the text online?

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2024, 10:39 am

Maybe. I don’t think I ever read it as a full-fledged adult, so I’m not sure how it translates for adults. Sometimes I do read classics for kids/young adults that I missed when I was young, though, and have enjoyed them tremendously. One of these days, I want to read some Judy Blume.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2024, 10:44 am

TwilightPrincess wrote:
Maybe. I don’t think I ever read it as a full-fledged adult, so I’m not sure how it translates for adults. Sometimes I do read classics for kids/young adults that I missed when I was young, though, and have enjoyed them tremendously. One of these days, I want to read some Judy Blume.

Oh wow. Judy Blume for the win. I have everything she's ever written, minus one.

Is Pollyanna's personality kind of like Anne of Green Gables?

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2024, 10:58 am

Yeah, I’d say somewhat. Pollyanna is less fanciful, though.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2024, 2:22 pm

Someone called me Pollyanna one time. I asked, "Pardon me." It wasn't very gender affirming, that's why I responded the way I did.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2024, 5:32 pm

Full Text here:

POLLYANNA By Eleanor H. Porter

https://www.gutenberg.org/files/1450/1450-h/1450-h.htm

Read it?

No, but I like the Louis Prima version of That Darn Cat (From the film, which stared Hayley Mills who also played Pollyanna)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/That_Darn_Cat%21

That Darn Cat! was Hayley Mills' last film of the six she appeared in for the Walt Disney Productions, until she returned in 1986 for three Parent Trap films. Mills later said it was a mistake to leave Disney

http://wikipedia.org/wiki/Pollyanna_%281960_film%29

Pollyanna was Hayley Mills' first of six films for Disney, and the directorial debut of David Swift.

https://www.salon.com/2021/12/04/hayley ... ver-young/

Hayley Mills opens up about Walt Disney, her date with George Harrison and staying “Forever Young”