Mental condition characterised by obsession

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

smaug
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Jan 2008, 7:38 pm

Quote:
Hey peepz. I've spent a while looking for the name of this Syndrome in which a person is idiotically loyal to their boss, will listen to anything they say, and will obey any order given. They would kill to please this person, and when alone with them have vivid sexual fantasies, or just "fantasies" about this person.

A friend of mine is looking for the name of this syndrome to use in a piece of writing, and I was wondering whether anyone here would know the name of it - if it even exists. I know there's plenty of people here more immersed in psychology than either of us, so that's why I'm asking, as we're both coming up empty in our wikipedia prowls. One of the notes he's made is that the character doesn't believe the object of his affections to return the emotion.

Thanks in advance.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2008, 7:40 pm

Well, if the object of his affections doesn't return the sentiment, it's called "unrequited love".

Also, try looking up "Limerence" on Wikipedia. It describes being in love with someone to the point of obsession.

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2008, 8:17 pm

smaug wrote:
Quote:
Hey peepz. I've spent a while looking for the name of this Syndrome in which a person is idiotically loyal to their boss, will listen to anything they say, and will obey any order given. They would kill to please this person, and when alone with them have vivid sexual fantasies, or just "fantasies" about this person.

Sounds like Waylon Smithers from the Simpsons... the producers describe him as 'Burns-sexual', but I somehow doubt that's a technical term...

AdvenaIngenium
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Jan 2008, 8:51 pm

smaug wrote:
Quote:

A friend of mine is looking for the name of this syndrome to use in a piece of writing, and I was wondering whether anyone here would know the name of it - if it even exists. I know there's plenty of people here more immersed in psychology than either of us, so that's why I'm asking, as we're both coming up empty in our wikipedia prowls. One of the notes he's made is that the character doesn't believe the object of his affections to return the emotion.

Thanks in advance.

I think it's called "Middle Management."

mel01
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Jan 2008, 4:38 pm

how about just very low self esteem, feeling so repulsive to think someone else will love you