Would you kill someone out of self-defense?

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Yes 86%  86%  [ 24 ]
No 14%  14%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 28

patrick6
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2008, 11:23 am

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2008, 12:52 pm

If my life depends on it, yes. But after that, I know I'd feel really guilty about it.

ImTheGuyThatDidThat
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2008, 12:58 pm

If there was no other way out, I would have to when we
are talking about family and such. I`m not getting killed
by someone trying to rob me in the middle of the night or anything. But
I`m peaceful, not violent. This is self defense. I have not
been in the army, I refused so long that they wouldn`t have
me in the end. I am not going to be broken down and built up again
after a "army recipe" when I am 17 years old. That is what they
tried to do, no way. Count me out on that one. If someone is
gonna break me down and build me up again, its gonna be me, not
a fighting force.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Added a little later):

Dont get me wrong on one thing here, I have a deep respect
for anyone whos fighting for their country/themselves. I will
fight for the country I live in if necesary (this should not be
necesary). But point me in the right direction and I`ll do my
best. I just dont need to be broken down in the way they do it here,
that I am against.

Last edited by ImTheGuyThatDidThat on 05 Jun 2008, 1:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Social_Fantom
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2008, 1:03 pm

I voted no because I would try my best not to. I would only try to incapacitate them by breaking their arms, legs, back, etc. But if the was no other way, then......

rekoil
Raven
Raven

05 Jun 2008, 1:06 pm

um... I'm not entirely sure I haven't

ImTheGuyThatDidThat
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2008, 1:07 pm

Social_Fantom wrote:
I voted no because I would try my best not to. I would only try to incapacitate them by breaking their arms, legs, back, etc. But if the was no other way, then......

Yes of course, me too, to kill someone would be absolute last resort.
There are many ways to incapacitate people without hurting them.
Good you brought it up.

crackedpleasures
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2008, 1:19 pm

I miss the option "only when my own life is at stake". In any other situation, such as being robbed of material goods or even physical violence without risk of dying myself, I would refuse to use violence myself. I would try to run away or escape but I would not want to harm the other person unless my life depends on it.

(excerpt from The Book of the Law - Aleister Crowley)

"Od lo avda tikvateinu" (excerpt from the Israeli hymn)

ImTheGuyThatDidThat
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2008, 1:52 pm

crackedpleasures wrote:
I miss the option "only when my own life is at stake". In any other situation, such as being robbed of material goods or even physical violence without risk of dying myself, I would refuse to use violence myself. I would try to run away or escape but I would not want to harm the other person unless my life depends on it.

That I agree on, if someone robbed me and just that, and there was no way
to get out of it, then he would get what he wanted, a fast as possible. Some things
are not worth it, and wouldn`t risk it over material things. Neither killing someone
or doing jailtime.

Last edited by ImTheGuyThatDidThat on 05 Jun 2008, 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2008, 1:55 pm

to kill takes more effort than would be spent on disabling someone. You kill someone and you're arrested, the'll charge you with murder or manslaughter because you could have incapacitated them and gotten away.

But, you touch my daugter, I'll be doing time.

ImTheGuyThatDidThat
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2008, 1:56 pm

digger1 wrote:
to kill takes more effort than would be spent on disabling someone. You kill someone and you're arrested, the'll charge you with murder or manslaughter because you could have incapacitated them and gotten away.

But, you touch my daugter, I'll be doing time.

Could not agree more. Theres a lot of insticts here, that can clash
with modern society.

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2008, 2:29 pm

Someone tried to break into my house a couple months ago, when I wasn't home. They were heroin addicts after my pills.(one of my prescriptions has a $2,000 street value when full) It left me feeling violated, and I vowed that if anyone breaks into my house while I am there, I would kill them without thinking twice. Especially after the chief of police told me that it was completely legal to do so, as long as they die on my property.

If we are talking about a regular fist-fight, I will do my best to incapacitate them quickly, without killing them. If they have a weapon, I interpret that as a threat to my life, and will do whatever is necessary to eliminate that threat. If they die, they die. Don't ever attack me with a weapon. :twisted:

Just so everyone doesn't think I'm some kind of psycho, I haven't been in a fight for more than 10 years, and never physically injured anyone futher than a black eye. I'm not a fighter, but will fight if necessary. :wink:

Those who know, don't speak.

t0
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2008, 2:39 pm

jawbrodt wrote:
If we are talking about a regular fist-fight, I will do my best to incapacitate them quickly, without killing them. If they have a weapon, I interpret that as a threat to my life, and will do whatever is necessary to eliminate that threat.

I agree with this. If someone broke into my house while I was there, my closest weapon would be a firearm. I don't believe in shooting to injure - if you're pointing a firearm at someone, your intent should be to kill.

Not that I worry about this. We have three dogs. They get noisy when people come to the house. That usually keeps strangers away.

ImTheGuyThatDidThat
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2008, 2:47 pm

jawbrodt wrote:
Someone tried to break into my house a couple months ago, when I wasn't home. They were heroin addicts after my pills.(one of my prescriptions has a $2,000 street value when full) It left me feeling violated, and I vowed that if anyone breaks into my house while I am there, I would kill them without thinking twice. Especially after the chief of police told me that it was completely legal to do so, as long as they die on my property.

If we are talking about a regular fist-fight, I will do my best to incapacitate them quickly, without killing them. If they have a weapon, I interpret that as a threat to my life, and will do whatever is necessary to eliminate that threat. If they die, they die. Don't ever attack me with a weapon. :twisted:

Just so everyone doesn't think I'm some kind of psycho, I haven't been in a fight for more than 10 years, and never physically injured anyone futher than a black eye. I'm not a fighter, but will fight if necessary. :wink:

Recgnize alot here, especially about weapons, I will get mad if someone points a knife
in my face, I dont like weapons used like that. I am no fighter either, but push me long
enough or give me a very good reason, and I will fight, without hesitasion. But I do
everything I can to be nice and avoid things like this. I dont jump on people if they call
me names or something. I want peace, who needs violence.

ImTheGuyThatDidThat
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2008, 2:57 pm

We have a saying here;

You should`nt be mean to others,
You should be kind and nice,

--and besides that, you can do whatever you want :)

..written by Torbjørn Egner many years ago. (a big writer here).

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2008, 3:00 pm

If I had to, but I would prefer to permanently injure them, like a baseball bat to the knee, or groin area

mikebw
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2008, 3:08 pm

Killing someone attacking me would not be my intention, but if they die, they die.

http://www.imdb.com/user/ur3140151/ratings = My Movie Vote History