Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2009, 4:52 pm

My mother's family were boring; they just tilled the fields. My father's family came from Celtic countries and got into brawls in the bar and about 10 of his relatives were in the military, and a lot of them fought in wars. Then they lived in a close-knit Irish neighborhood in Montreal in the poor people's projects.

Dee_
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Apr 2009, 5:15 pm

My dads family is from the Scandanavian area of northern europe, big in stature, probally celtic/vikings centries ago... moved to the states in the 1930's.
My moms family, some were cherokees, others were chippewas, some more were canuks who first came to montreal in 1646. Others were from germany.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

28 Apr 2009, 8:04 pm

On my father's side of the family was a lineage of Dutch immigrants to the Staten Island area of New York (in the 1600s). They married Mohawk Indians. Hmmm---blond-headed Indians 8O .

My mother's side of the family has the autism gene. Gee---what a family. I had a cousin in the Athens, Ohio Psychiatric Hospital back in the mid part of the 20th century. I met him once---whoa!---Rainman. He had all these dates memorized with the weather conditons. He had to live with his brother when the hospital funding was cut. There are about 8 in my mother's family that have the autistic traits. And the one lineage traces itself back to Thomas Jefferson. My great great grandmother, who was 1/16 black, was descended from a slave on the Jefferson plantation (the slave had a child by either Thomas Jefferson's father, or his uncle, Field Jefferson).

Well...my father's side of the family is also interesting. There are several there that have been under psychiatric care. My father can multiply four digit numbers in his head faster that one can do it on a calculator. Maybe I got my autism from both sides of my family. I believe my father's math skills could be a savant-like skill.

McTell
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2009, 8:16 pm

My mum's family come from Fife in Scotland, which is on the East side. My dad's family come from Ayrshire, on the West side of Scotland. They were all (as far back as I know) farmers and tradesmen. Nothing about either family is particularly interesting.

dougn
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2009, 2:24 am

My ancestors all emigrated to New York from Europe between about 1880 and 1910.

My mother is of pure Italian ancestry. (I am entitled to Italian citizenship in addition to my US citizenship.) My great-great-uncle was Oronzio Maldarelli, a renowned sculptor and professor at Columbia University.

My father's family is of Ashkenazi Jewish ethnicity.

My ancestors have been tradespeople, professionals, merchants, artisans and such. Basically urban skilled laborers and professionals. I guess it is no surprise I do not like the country.

Henriksson
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2009, 3:57 am

My great grandparents' generation were peasants, my grandparents' generation were factory workers, my parents' generation are middle class, and this generation are procrastinators. :wink:

vibratetogether
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

29 Apr 2009, 1:01 pm

On my mother's side, I'm not sure about my maternal grandmother tbh, but my maternal grandfather is a direct descendant of the Wallace clan (made famous by the movie Braveheart), my middle name is Wallace.

On my father's side, my paternal great-grandfather came to the US from Italy when he was 12. My last name, Iovanne, is the American bastardized version of Giovanni. Also, my paternal grandmother was Acadian. The Acadians were French that intermarried with First Nation in the Nova Scotia area.

Dee_
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Apr 2009, 7:59 pm

My mother's mothers side of the family are of Ashkenazi Jewish ethnicity....

dougn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2009, 4:37 am

Henriksson wrote:
My great grandparents' generation were peasants, my grandparents' generation were factory workers, my parents' generation are middle class, and this generation are procrastinators. :wink:

I sort of feel that way too ... like I'm sort of crashing the trajectory of my family.

But then, maybe it's just that I'm more pessimistic - and I live in a different world. In their world you went to school, worked hard and got good grades, got a good job, worked hard, got a good pension and retired, at which point you could stop working hard. Along the way you acquired a nice house, a new car every soft often, a nice holiday every so often, and some nice kids (and eventually, grandkids) who repeated the same cycle you did. And generally, each generation got a little richer and more successful.

It was never really and truly that way but for their time (though I guess my parents' time is still now) there was at least some truth to it.

But in 2009?

Zonder
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2009, 6:21 am

Father's side
Coal miners from Belgium, France, and Saarland
Hessian tradespeople
All came to US in 1860s-1880s

Mother's side
English farmers/plantation owners who settled in Virginia and Rhode Island in 1600s
Welsh farmers who came to Pennsylvania in 1600s
Scots-Irish farmers who lived in Virginia/Kentucky in 1700s
Württemberg and Rhineland farmers who came to Illinois in 1860s
Some Native American although haven't identified the tribal group

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

02 May 2009, 3:28 pm

i dont know half my family, because my mom never met her dad. he bounced when she was born. i guess my family is ok, although ive always felt out of place in a family. like i dont need to be in one or something

Biene
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 May 2009, 9:13 pm

What does Ashkenazi stand for, I never heard of it?

dougn
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2009, 4:17 pm

Biene wrote:
What does Ashkenazi stand for, I never heard of it?

From Wikipedia:

Quote:
Ashkenazi Jews ... are the Jews descended from the medieval Jewish communities of the Rhineland in the west of Germany. ... Many Ashkenazi Jews later migrated, largely eastward, forming communities in non German-speaking areas, including Hungary, Poland, Lithuania, Russia, Eastern Europe, and elsewhere between the 10th and 19th centuries. With them, they took and diversified Yiddish, a Germanic Jewish language that had since medieval times been the lingua franca among Ashkenazi Jews. ... Most Jewish communities with extended histories in Europe are Ashkenazim, with the exception of those associated with the Mediterranean region.

Neuromancer
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2009, 4:37 pm

Mother side from Portugal, father side Italy.

Learning2Survive
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2009, 10:24 pm

on my mom's side - they were traditional Jewish people and some of them were very educated and well mannered (engineers and managers)

on my dad's side - my grandpa had like 10 brothers and sisters who grew up during WWII (played with bombshells, collected rifles and ammunition as a hobby, then buried it in the ground for later), one or two might have been executed by the Nazis or the communists. Most of them lived in a village and some managed to move closer to Moscow.

BelindatheNobody
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2009, 7:46 am

I don't know much about my family's history and such. Only enough to know that I'm a "mutt".
I know we have some Cherokee, and a little Irish.... and that's all I know.

Flavors of: Nobody. Slytherin. Autistic.