Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

WinterRose
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Jan 2008, 1:32 pm

Does anyone have a quick fix for period cramps? I used to get them really bad when i was younger, but the last few years haven't been too bad. now today i woke up in the worst pain i've been in in years. I don't have any midol or pamprin or anything and regular pain killers don't seem to help. *grits teeth*

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

21 Jan 2008, 2:20 pm

haven't had them since teens, but remember a seriously hot hot water bottle worked.

8)

Azharia
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Jan 2008, 2:39 pm

Didn't start getting cramps till pregnant, but they driving me mad now.
Hot works though. Heat your lower back or abdomen.
My sister swears by leaning over a stool and resting her weight on her tummy. No idea if that works.

thyme
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2008, 3:00 pm

You should put a heating pad on your stomach. I think chamomile tea is good for cramps.

Paula
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2008, 3:15 pm

Anaprox is what the Doctor gave me, a miracle drug without knocking you out.However it wasn't untill I was older that I found out cramps were not normal and no woman should have to put up with them, so anaprox should never have been necessary. I had endometriosis and two tumors...non cancerous. They could be as small as your fingernail and still reak havic. I was placed on dupon lupron therapy and then the doctor was only suppose to do lazer to get rid of the tumors and endometriosis. At least thats what they were suppose to do. Both tumors where large and solid and the endometriosis ate up my left filliopian tube so it had to be removed. Had I had this taken care of years ago the lazer would have been enough. The doctor did not see the endometriosis on the ultra sound, but he saw the tumors, it wasn't till he went in with the oh I guess it's called a laproscopy....I spelled that wrong that he saw the endometriosis and lazered it all out. I'm now on Birth control to keep it away. But had I had this taken care of years earlier, I only would have needed the lazer. why women's issues aren't addressed like they should be is beyond me. My Doctor asked why I put up with all this, I told him I'd been to gynogolgists before, just given anaprox but he said when your body is in pain that means something is wrong. So my advice...Find out why the pain, then get help for it.Oh I might add, my first period after surgery I thought I was spotting, the Doctor said no thats a regular period. I am no longer low on iron like I use to be.

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2008, 3:35 pm

http://www.ehow.com/how_2091457_relieve ... herbs.html

I heard basil tea is an ancient remedy...

I gotta run and hide now.

WinterRose
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Jan 2008, 3:51 pm

Thanks for the tips. I do have both pepermint tea and camimeal tea on hand so i'll have to try one of those. I had a heating pad on before and it didn't seem to be helping, but a while ago i went and crawled into bed and found if i laid a certain way it eased the pain, now that i'm up and about it hurts a little, but not nearly as bad.

I mentioned it to the doctor once years ago when they used to be bad like this and he didn't seem concerned (he was a gp not a gyno though) he said that if they kept being a problem or got worse i should talk to a gyno or try birth control to ease them, but they got better after that so i didn't.

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2008, 6:11 pm

Ok, two things:

1) Evening Primrose Oil. Every woman - repeat, EVERY Woman - should have this stuff in their cupboard and take it daily. It will not only solve the cramp problem, but stop any sign or form of PMS and leave you calm, and with awesome skin.

2) Cramps can be a sign of magnesium deficiency (which most women in the western world have). Try supplementing (you may want to get a blood test first to make sure) and watch the cramps disappear.

If those don't work, perhaps there's something more serious wrong? But really, those two are amazing, you don't need any drugs or silly things to cure it when you've those on hand!!

(Have to take the Evening Primrose Oil daily though for it to have any effect, not just during PMS time).

zee
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2008, 6:18 pm

Exercise is the best thing for cramps - seriously. I know it's the last thing you want to do, but once you get going (a long walk usually works for me), you'll feel better. I don't use heat, but it would probably have a similar effect - you want to increase circulation basically. Also, cutting back on caffeine, salt, etc.

Rjaye
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2008, 2:52 am

Exercise, stretching, hot water bottles, all helped.

One other thing that helped and it depends on how comfortable you are doing it is to orgasm. The contractions help the cramping and up your endorphins. Sometimes, it can be painful, but it helped me.

Kegels also helped me. I had/have fibroids and PCOS, and just doing Kegels helped ease the cramping.

A little motrin helps too, along with a cozy blanky, and a hot water bottle when trying to get some sleep.

Along with Magnesium, Potassium is good, too. Don't expect miracles with supplements--the effects are subtle, but every little bit helps. You can try some other things, but I would check with the doc.

And talk to your doc. Only you know how bad they are, and maybe there is something going on. Maybe the doc will have some suggestions.

Good luck, Rjaye.

Semi_Lost_Serenity
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Jan 2008, 10:45 am

I started myself on a gluten free diet and my cramps are a lot less severe. At the same time, I also started eat a lot more fruits and veggies, and less sugar/salt (no processed foods, basically). When I am PMSing, I do give into my craving of chocolate. I've just cut out the chips and, if I must have them, I buy the "No salt added" kind. So, boring and bland - but cures my craving to crunch.

At any rate, I would just check your diet and make sure you're getting all the nutrients you need.

heyyoujess
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Jan 2008, 1:09 pm

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - our modern, over-processed diet has a tendency to throw our hormones out of whack. The chamomile helps immensely, and the evening primrose is great, but I have to recommend Vitex (chasteberry) to every woman I know who has any hormonal problems - it will raise estrogen if it's low, and lower it if it's high. If you drink a cup of Vitex tea twice a week, it's good-bye PMS, cramps, and abnormal periods.

gwenevyn
l'esprit de l'escalier
l'esprit de l'escalier

22 Jan 2008, 1:43 pm

Semi_Lost_Serenity wrote:
I started myself on a gluten free diet and my cramps are a lot less severe. At the same time, I also started eat a lot more fruits and veggies, and less sugar/salt (no processed foods, basically). When I am PMSing, I do give into my craving of chocolate. I've just cut out the chips and, if I must have them, I buy the "No salt added" kind. So, boring and bland - but cures my craving to crunch.

At any rate, I would just check your diet and make sure you're getting all the nutrients you need.

I notice a big difference with diet, too. When I eat like the average person in the Western world, my periods have sometimes been painful enough to keep me curled up in a ball, and the pain did not respond to any OTC medication. When the majority of my diet is made up of fruits, vegetables, fish, and meat, my period is nearly painless. Avoiding grains seems to make the biggest difference.

Goche21
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Jan 2008, 3:57 pm

I only had cramps on the first day of my period, and an over the counter pain reliever would be my remedy. One side effect of my hysterectemy is no more periods, so that's a plus.

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2008, 11:54 pm

Bayer.

Also drinking lots of water. One of the reasons for cramps is fluid retention but the more you drink the less water your body retains (remember the old commercial with the lady holding a large pitcher of water)

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2008, 2:56 pm

men enter at your own risk? Funny you should mention that because while I haven't had premenstrual pain I've had gastroenteritis before.

Read this article:
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/media/library/heatandpain

Pretty much no pain killer over the counter is going to do a better job than heat with any tissue damage. You options are often limited in the abdomen anyway.

You can get those microwavable heat pads. For extra duration you can use one of the chemical heat pad for pets then nuke it to molten lava.

Of course this is subject to finding the heat more desirable. I love the feeling of heat on the skin. It beats pain any day!