Page 1 of 5 [ 80 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

PlicketyCat
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Jan 2009, 5:10 pm

The jewelry & make-up topics got me thinking about other weird "obsessions" (NT) women seem to have... and SHOES immediately came to mind.

I mean, really, what is the deal?! First, most of the shoes these women covet look and feel like medieval torture devices. Second, you could run a small country with the money they cost. Third, why do you need so many, why hoard them? Fourth, there are better uses for available storage space!

I only have a few of pairs of shoes. They're all comfortable and function-specific. Cheap Keds for everyday. Sport shoes for walking and exercising. Work boots for summer and winter. And one pair of classic dress boots with a low heel for the rare occasions I'm forced to dress up. If I'm not going outside, I'm barefoot or in socks (if it's cold).

It does go beyond shoes in my case, my wardrobe is entirely functional and comfortable as well. I can't help wondering if this is because of my AS? Not only can I not get jazzed about shoes (or clothes) but I can't even understand why anyone would. It makes it very difficult to have conversations or go shopping with other women (esp. my mother who keeps trying to turn me into a girl!).

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 5:14 pm

I don't know why women like shoes so much, but I admit I am one of those women. I don't have that many shoes, but I would if I had the money!

However, some people have multiple pairs of shoes that look just like each other, and when confronted will argue that "this pair has a slightly different shaped heel". I think that's just going a bit mad.

y es como un semestre"

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 5:17 pm

I have no idea!! ! 8O

I find it very, very wierd. I actually have more shoes now than I've ever had and I've got about... 5 pairs. Most are functional (a pair of winter boots, a pair of sneakers, a pair of highheels for dresses) but I'll admit there have been a couple of pairs of shoes that I did fall in love with, it really has nothing to do with them being shoes, though. One is a pair of clear plastic highheels that flash with multi colored lights in the heel with each step. I LOVE those pretty much because I just love flashing lights. The other pair I wanted but didn't get were like a purple/green/grey depending-on-the-angle shiny and that was awesome.

But that's really just because I like wierd and cool things, in general. I have no special feelings towards shoes. In fact, I just bought new highheels because my old ones have been falling apart for over a year and I had been wearing them like that :lol:

Last edited by mitharatowen on 09 Jan 2009, 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sillyputty
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 5:31 pm

I don't know what it is about shoes either. I have 2 pair. One pair of all purpose athletic shoes, and a pair of heels for church. I'd have more pairs, but I really hate shopping.

Brook-lynn20
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Jan 2009, 5:35 pm

Wow, am I the only one who is not that way? I mean, I like shoes, but not to the point of obsession. I only have a few pairs and usually just wear my sneakers/tennis shoes.

Greyhound
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 5:38 pm

It is most odd. I have a variety of shoes for precific purposes, for example strong army boots to do heavy manual work in, but I do not have a variety of styles for the sake of it.

I have a heterosexual male friend who loves buying new shoes, not for a fetish - he simply likes them.

Dodgy circuitry! Diagnosed: Tourette syndrome. Suspected: auditory processing disorder, synaesthesia. Also: social and organisation problems. Heteroromantic asexual (though still exploring)

PlicketyCat
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Jan 2009, 5:39 pm

I hate shopping, too, and shoes are one thing I absolutely must try on in a store before buying unless I'm replacing exactly the same brand and style.

I have seen some pretty funky shoes that would be cool to look at (like the flashing heels!) but never feel a compulsion to buy them :)

Heck, I think my husband is nuts because he has ten pairs of cowboy boots... sure they're all different colors and leather types, but they're still the same in my book!

PlicketyCat
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Jan 2009, 5:46 pm

gina-ghettoprincess wrote:
I don't know why women like shoes so much, but I admit I am one of those women. I don't have that many shoes, but I would if I had the money!

Are you interested in shoes as architectural or art objects? Or would you really plan to wear them? See, I sometimes like the look of a shoe from a design standpoint or some neat feature, but I wouldn't buy them or wear them. I guess I could understand collecting them, like as collectible objects, because I used to collect watches and wineglasses even though I didn't use them. But to shell out hundreds of dollars for a pair of painful shoes you only wear once then keep in a box in the closet? Nope, doesn't make sense.

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 5:48 pm

PlicketyCat wrote:

Are you interested in shoes as architectural or art objects? Or would you really plan to wear them? See, I sometimes like the look of a shoe from a design standpoint or some neat feature, but I wouldn't buy them or wear them. I guess I could understand collecting them, like as collectible objects, because I used to collect watches and wineglasses even though I didn't use them. But to shell out hundreds of dollars for a pair of painful shoes you only wear once then keep in a box in the closet? Nope, doesn't make sense.

I only buy shoes that I know I would actually wear at some point, not just for the hell of it.

y es como un semestre"

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 5:52 pm

I, too, hate shopping for a variety of reasons. 1. I'm pretty much fashion-challenged 2. I detest spending so much time a store as women do, looking at everything on the rack and trying it all on. If I go shopping, I generally go for something specific and all I do is walk through the store and scan for what I am looking for. 3. I'm a huge cheapskate and I hate spending money on something that isn't necissary for life (or flashy lights/sparkly :lol: ).

That does make it hard to converse with women as shopping seems to be their main interest/hobby. Fortunately, I have no interest in conversing with them :lol:

Last edited by mitharatowen on 09 Jan 2009, 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PlicketyCat
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Jan 2009, 5:53 pm

That makes sense. I guess since I don't really wear anything except jeans and T's, I only need one pair of shoes (sneakers) or boots for that outfit :D Maybe if I dressed more fashionably with different outfits, I might need more shoes to go with them... more matching, oy that makes my head hurt!

PlicketyCat
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Jan 2009, 5:58 pm

mitharatowen wrote:
I, too, hate shopping for a variety of reasons. 1. I'm pretty much fashion-challenged 2. I detest spending so much time a store as women do, looking at everything on the rack and trying it all on. If I go shopping, I generally go for something specific and all I do is walk through the store and scan for what I am looking for. 3. I'm a huge cheapskate and I hate spending money on something that isn't necissary for life (or flashy lights/sparkly :lol: ).

I hate stores as well. They are too loud and too bright and people just mill around dazed by the consumeristic materialism of it all. When I have to go to a store, I power-shop... get in, go directly to what I need, try it on (if mandatory), pay and exit the store as fast as possible. If I get stuck in a mall for some ungodly reason, I know I have about 30 minutes before I get overstimulated and meltdown. Sometimes I start having panic attacks just trying to find a parking space and end up just turning around and going home. Thank goodness for the Internet and online shopping!

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 6:03 pm

I can do fashion, but people tend to think I overdress for non-uniform day at school. This is because every half term I think, "Right, this is my chance to show I ain't a total geek," so then I TOTALLY overdo it while everyone else is in hoodies and jeans. This is why my life would improve if the school ditched uniforms altogether: I would dress how I normally do.

y es como un semestre"

PlicketyCat
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Jan 2009, 6:12 pm

I can do fashion, but people tend to think I overdress for non-uniform day at school. This is because every half term I think, "Right, this is my chance to show I ain't a total geek," so then I TOTALLY overdo it while everyone else is in hoodies and jeans. This is why my life would improve if the school ditched uniforms altogether: I would dress how I normally do.

See?!? And I would have been so much happier if my US public school had had a uniform... then I wouldn't have had to think or worry about not looking like everyone else or putting the right things together. I guess that's just another reason why I wear jeans and T's... it's my "uniform" and I don't have to think about whether it looks right or not, or whether I look like I was caught in an explosion at a clothes store :D

Kaysea
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 6:17 pm

Why does it matter? Honestly, who spends that much time looking at your feet, anyway? I own two pair: A pair of work boots (same brand/color/style as the pair they replaced, and the pair before them) and a pair of dress shoes that were given to me.

PlicketyCat
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Jan 2009, 6:18 pm

mitharatowen wrote:
That does make it hard to converse with women as shopping seems to be their main interest/hobby. Fortunately, I have no interest in conversing with them :lol:

I always have such a hard time finding topics of discussion with other women. I was once trapped in the kitchen with all the "women folk" at a family reunion and desperately wanted to escape... all they seemed to talk about was shopping/fashion, cooking, babies/kids, crafting, and how horrible their hubands were. EEEEEEEKK!