Page 5 of 8 [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Seanmw
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2010, 3:43 pm

anarchybovine wrote:
I'm 61" and 9 stone, a little smaller than average. Before age 11, I was really skinny. At age 10, I was 53" and 4 stone. But not so skinny I looked like a skeleton.

they use "stone" measurements in Wisconsin?

i'm not sure if i have this right, but does 1 stone = about 20 pounds?

RainSong
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2010, 4:00 pm

I'm not too consistent. As a child, I was always thin until I hit puberty; then I gained a good amount of weight. I lost that by the time I was 15, when stress had me eating very little. At 18 or so, I gained more weight. I recently lost some, so I'm not quite where I was at 16, but I'm not too far away from it.

I have a hard time viewing how I look. At 16, I thought I was overweight. In retrospect, looking over pictures from that time period, I was fairly thin. Even now, when I'm in the "normal" range for BMI (I know it's not all that accurate, but I have very little muscle, so it is for me), I'm not convinced. I think my problem is that I judge more based on the sizes I wear and the people around me. Thus, when I was in high school, I thought I was much larger than I really was because it was very common for the girls to be exceptionally thin. When I moved away, I thought I was closer to average because most of the women were larger. Now, I'm back to the same place as I was in high school, and everyone's thin. As for sizes, I have a problem finding ones that fit properly because my hips are wide, but my stomach is flatter than they apparently think it should be with my hips.

Three years!

aspie_girl
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Jun 2010, 6:26 pm

Well I have AS and ADHD , and I've had anorexia.
I've been doing some research, and - though i can't remember where i found it - then someone meant that about 20% of all girls with anorexia nervosa had diagnosed or undiagnosed autism.

While I'm also having ADHD, my eating disorder kinda ''compensated'' for my lack of ''structure, order and control''.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2010, 10:59 pm

I'm almost overweight. I hate my body so much. I was skinny when I was 9 and under, but after that I put on weight :( I want to be lower healthy, not upper healthy like I am now.

Bethie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: My World, Highview, Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Earth, The Milky Way, Local Group, Local Supercluster

27 Jul 2010, 9:57 pm

Your question sort of presents a false dichotomy-

As an overweight person who's suffered from anorexia almost my entire adult life,
I can assure you that the two are not exclusive.

Erisad
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2010, 1:34 pm

I'm a fat aspie girl. Granted, I gained a lot with anti-depressants and college food. >.<

I've been exercising and altered my diet and have lost 4 pounds over the past 2 weeks. I'll be a sexy aspie one day. Might take 2 years to lose the extra hundred pounds on me but I'll get there!

Tassie
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 Jul 2010, 1:34 am

Erisad, you can do it! -

I weighed 110 kg (that's about 230lbs) this time last year. I'm down to 70kg, and though I've done this before and regained the weight, this time I'm going to watch what I eat - every mouthful. It isn't fun having a crap metabolism, and most people don't believe that I have to live on 800cal a day to keep the weight off. But the gain is that now no one looks at me and thinks I'm a freak any more.

They change their minds when I open my mouth, of course...

Anyway, there's someone over here who knows how hard it is to lose and maintain weight, and you have all my sympathy and support for the effort you're making.

Erisad
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2010, 8:03 am

Tassie wrote:
Erisad, you can do it! -

I weighed 110 kg (that's about 230lbs) this time last year. I'm down to 70kg, and though I've done this before and regained the weight, this time I'm going to watch what I eat - every mouthful. It isn't fun having a crap metabolism, and most people don't believe that I have to live on 800cal a day to keep the weight off. But the gain is that now no one looks at me and thinks I'm a freak any more.

They change their minds when I open my mouth, of course...

Anyway, there's someone over here who knows how hard it is to lose and maintain weight, and you have all my sympathy and support for the effort you're making.

Yeah, I hate my metabolism. Especially when my brother eats twice what I do and never gains a single pound. :/

Thanks for the support! ^_^

Ixchel
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Jul 2010, 6:05 pm

I was the skinniest kid in my elementary school. My mother would beg me to eat but I was extremely picky. That changed when adolescence hit and I started to eat for comfort. Eventually, I got fat. I've been fat for a long time, now, despite multiple diets that let me lose some weight for a short time, only to rebound even heavier than before.

I thought I would just live out the rest of my life being fat, but a bout with peritonitis that could have killed me wound up requiring two extremely unpleasant surgeries to fix. For the rest of my life, I've got to be very careful about what I eat - including a lot of fiber, every day - and I'll eat it because I'm not willing to risk the choice of dying or needing another gut surgery! Since I'm counting nutritional data, I may as well count calories. I'm going to lose enough weight to get back to a US size 12 or 14. At that size, I had an hourglass figure and looked GOOD - my boobs matched my wide hips and I had a nice waistline. In the last four months, I've dropped from a US size 28 to a US size 24, I think - I'm not sure because I can't stand to wear a snug waistband (yet) over the surgical scars, so I'm still wearing my size 28 pants. They hang precariously from my hips - if I wiggle, they fall off without unbuttoning and unzipping. I guess I should buy some suspenders.

So - I've been on both ends of the weight spectrum. I DO think that AS women tend to have more issues with eating than NT's- both ways. As a kid, I had problems with flavors and textures. I grew to like many of the vegetables that I wouldn't touch as a kid, but they have to be cooked properly or I still think they are disgusting. I don't like sauces. I've finally started to eat more than one food at a time - I wouldn't eat shepard's pie as a kid, even though I liked the individual ingredients, because it was all mixed up! My food issues as a kid were definitely sensory-related - AS. My over eating as a teen and an adult was probably related to depression. Was it AS or just the fact my family life sucked - who knows? I'm going to be average weight for my height and age in the next year or two. Now that the surgeon finally says it's safe, I'm going to join a gym (today!) and avoid Tassie's metabolic issues with lots of regular exercise.

Ladies - good luck! And wish me luck, too.

Erisad
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2010, 7:06 pm

Good luck Ixchel!

I too, struggle with food textures. I have been getting better. I started to eat salads, broccoli and other healthy food this summer, which has made a huge difference in addition to my exercise program. I'm a size 20 right now and would love to be a size 12 again. For now, I'm looking to lose 50 pounds for my friend's wedding next year. I'm a bridesmaid so I have to be prepared to look good in some photos. Hopefully, I'll learn how to smile naturally in photos. D:

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2010, 7:30 pm

I'm 5'0-5'1 and weigh 220 pounds. I've always been a "big girl". Ever since age 10. I have whale bones so I think it's natural for me to be larger. People say I don't look 220 but I want to lose about 20 pounds becuase I don't want to hurt my joints in the future. Not because I hate my body because I love being a bigger girl but because I want to not end up in a wheelchair.

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2010, 5:46 am

I'm chubby. 5 foot 3, 145 pounds or so. When I was a kid I was really thin but then puberty hit! I never could rid of my hips and boobs. Oh well, what are you gonna do?

verticalmum
Raven
Raven

31 Jul 2010, 7:45 pm

Interesting post.
I have been suffering from anorexia for quite a long time. My weight goes down more when stressed. At the moment I am not too bad weight wise. Im 5' 7 and 50 kgs.....I want to be 45kgs, but know I will get sick if I go down this far.......

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2010, 1:56 pm

Oh, and speaking of which. EVERYONE gives me crap about my weight. I want to lose 20 pounds. That's it. I love being a plus size. But thanks to all the morons who refuse to believe that. They say "well how about 120 pounds" What the heck?! That gives me another reason to get stressed out and over eat. Sorry for the swears I just saw the too fat for 15 show online and some of those girls aren't event that big. That ticks me right the heck off.(I don't like to swear)

Erisad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2010, 2:04 pm

xxZeromancerlovexx wrote:
Oh, and speaking of which. EVERYONE gives me crap about my weight. I want to lose 20 pounds. That's it. I love being a plus size. But thanks to all the morons who refuse to believe that. They say "well how about 120 pounds" What the heck?! That gives me another reason to get stressed out and over eat. Sorry for the swears I just saw the too fat for 15 show online and some of those girls aren't event that big. That ticks me right the heck off.(I don't like to swear)

Exactly. If you're aiming to lose weight, it's better to set small goals so that you're more likely to succeed. If you're happy where you're at then to heck with everyone else. :)

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2010, 2:28 pm

Erisad wrote:
xxZeromancerlovexx wrote:

Exactly. If you're aiming to lose weight, it's better to set small goals so that you're more likely to succeed. If you're happy where you're at then to heck with everyone else. :)

Thank you! Finally someone besides my mom agrees :D