It's said most girls with AS don't do girly things? Your op?

Page 7 of 10 [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Do you where make up?
Yes, Everyday. (More than 4 products) 9%  9%  [ 31 ]
No, Never. 36%  36%  [ 120 ]
Only on important days/outings. (More than 4 products) 24%  24%  [ 80 ]
I do but only 1-3 products. 30%  30%  [ 98 ]
Total votes : 329

mox
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Jul 2011, 9:31 pm

I didn't vote because I don't know what doing girly things has to do with products. What products?

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2011, 9:47 pm

In response to the poll question: I never wear makeup. I cannot tolerate the feeling of it on my face--it just feels so heavy.

As for girly things, well, I am not boy-like, I don't think, but I am not as girly as the girliest girly girls out there. I remember as child, I even wanted to wear boys clothes sometimes. This was partly because I had two older brothers who made me think girls were inferior sometimes, and also because my closest friends at the time were all boys. It was also partly because it was simply more comfortable. My Mom always put me in dresses as a child, which I came to loathe. I had extreme sensory issues to the lace, as well as to the tights. I also hate certain fabrics, and tight button up things and/or collars which sometimes were on my dresses. I did wear boy sneakers and a boy jacket. My clothes from age 8 or so onward was girls' clothing, but not girly clothing. I mean, I bought it in the girls' department; however, they were tomboyish-like clothes. I did not notice style much, and when I did, I did not follow it. I preferred loose, baggy clothing because I hate the feeling of skin-tight things. I also prefer cotton, so I wore a lot of jogging suits (for which I was relentlessly picked on). Jeans were even only ever a part of my wardrobe for a period of 5 years or so, and even then, I did not wear them all the time (I sometimes have sensory issues to tighter fitting denim fabric as well). I definitely looked style-impaired, but I wouldn't have noticed.

As for activities, I didn't really associate things with boys or girls. I was not super girly, and I also was not super masculine. I liked things in the middle that were liked by both boys and girls.

EQ=8 SQ=93 (Extreme Systemizer)
Alexithymia Quiz=164/185 (high)

Lahmacun
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Jul 2011, 7:29 am

I have always been interested in makeup, but am terrible when it comes to my hair, and even worse when it comes to my clothes. It's not that I don't care, it's just that I don't "get" how to do my hair and clothes attractively. I usually let a hairstylist decide for me what looks nice, and just ask her how to replicate the look at home.

Clothes are a BIG problem...I have very little sense of personal style or really know what looks good on me, and I detest shopping for clothes. I usually get what I need online, or buy something without even trying it on. I prefer to have second-hand stuff just GIVEN to me (i.e. from my in-laws or my mother), because it means I don't have to do any decision-making about it! I yearn for a man-type formula when it comes to clothes, i.e. just wear a suit and tie to work and you're good! Women's clothes are much more complicated, with all the variety, colors, shapes, fabrics, changing fashions, accessories, etc. Ugh!

As for other "girly" stuff, like playing with dolls or playing house, I was never into that at all. Girl Scouts was boring, and slumber parties were stupid and stressful. I was just never that interested in hanging around girls...I always hung out with the weird, super-smart, super-funny males growing up, and still prefer their company.

Reptillian
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Jul 2011, 1:05 pm

As a male myself, I have deep respect for women who doesn't want to fit the general stereotypical views of women.

pokerface
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2011, 11:51 am

I looked and behaved boyish until I was about 16 or 17. I started to become more girly after that age and now I'm one of these woman who likes make up and clothes. I don't like to wear a lot of make up though. And I like to wear clothes that are very comfortable, practical yet feminine and somewhat fashionable. I don't wear dresses, skirts and high heels (I break my ankles on them) but it's possible to look feminine without these assets to my wardrobe.

JediGirl77
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Jul 2012, 2:41 pm

Clothes, makeup, girly stuff... let me think...
I go clothes shopping with my Mum when I outgrow stuff, and then trail round the shops rejecting most clothes as too girly or too uncomfortable. We leave with a few items that are OK...

The next week I pick a day when my brother is out, take a load of stuff that he's outgrown, try it on, about half of it fits and it's way more comfortable and practical than most girls clothes. Then I smile to myself because I managed to save time and money. Then he comes home and i justfy it by saying that he can't possibly fit into age 13 anymore, he accepts it.

contrast with my NT sister who seems to buy herself new clothes every week!

I hate any 'girly' films that are all about relationships and the like, half the time I can't even tell one over-make-upped character from the next and just don't understand any of it... on the contrary, I'll watch anything with decent fight scenes.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2012, 2:17 pm

According to an online quiz I recently took I am 60% female and 40% male. Maybe I got the extra 10% because I remember my dreams, sometimes very vividly. So guys aren't supposed to remember their dreams as well? Strange. Anyway, when I was very young I was a bit more of a girly-girl, or at least I didn't mind wearing really girly clothes like pink frilly dresses. In fact I once went through a stage wear all I wanted to wear were dresses, including when I went swimming in the summer! It took some gentle persuasion from my mother to wear a bathing suit instead. My dislike of dresses and skirts began in my preteens. Maybe it's because I had to start shaving my legs and hated it, even though my thick dark hair was easily seen on my vampire-white legs, ick!
I liked clothes shopping as a little girl as well but now I HAAAATE it!! ! Almost everything I DO like is made for women with eating disorders and at least twenty pounds underweight. Society thinks overweight women don't care about their appearance. WRONG. :x
I used to like wearing more colorful tops and blue jeans but lately I really prefer wearing black jeans and even blacker, slightly gothic tops with something red like roses printed on them. it's either my way of expressing my feelings of impending doom, or my wanting to be like a shadow and hide from the world, maybe just because I think it looks "cool". :lol: I also hate long sleeves and cuffs. I wear short sleeves even in the winter now, except for my winter coat, of course. But I hate shorts! I really don't know why, but I hate having to wear them when I go out on hot days like now and normally change back into jeans when I get home, usually after a cool shower because I'm a sweaty mess anyway. I like to wear tanks and camisoles, however.

We are always getting so many conflicting and confusing messages from society and the media. When my grandmother was a little girls she always wore dresses and so did most other girls. Now we can wear pants and not be labeled a male impersonator or a tomboy, unless of course we wear them all the time especially at special occasions. We should be allowed to wear what suits us best, as long as it's tasteful and weather-appropriate, of course.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2012, 2:29 pm

I don't really get why so many women are obsessed with clothes. I mean really, they're just CLOTHES. They're not like something
that shows love and affection like a pet, or entertains you like a video game, or you can cuddle with like a stuffed animal. You can't eat them, they won't cure illness or bring world peace or save animals from extinction. All they are really good for is providing some protection to your body from the elements and other hazards and keeping you from being arrested in public in this part of the world! :lol:

My mom's not that clothes-crazy either, although she wears makeup every day and dresses up for special occasions.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2012, 6:10 pm

ValentineWiggin wrote:
I don't wear makeup or shave, and my hair will not be brushed unless it's a day I have to leave the house. It's super-duper long.

I do like colors and different patterns and things, though, and wear dresses often- not because they're girly, but because they're comfortable. Don't wear jewelry, though I do have several chests worth from a time that was Before.

I found a wallet thing the other day with a cell phone case. Which I can attach to my key ring.
So I'm excited about never having to carry a purse again. :D

I never wear make-up or shave but I really need to brush my hair more often because it gets too knotty.

I almost never wear jewelry and I don't wear dresses or skirts or high heels. I don't wear perfume either.

I almost never carry a purse and usually just go out with my cell phone and keys in one pocket and my wallet in the other. If I need a pocketbook to carry more things I use a small backpack pocketbook.

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2012, 6:29 pm

I loathe makeup; it burns my eyes and face, no matter the kind I use. There's no point to it for me to wear. My skin is fine the way it is.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2012, 12:33 pm

It's not that I'm less girly. It's just that I struggle with conforming, which may make me appear less girly, but if I was a man and struggled the same way with conforming, I would appear less manly. So either way I'm not running into the opposite sex, I just struggle with conforming. I would say I'm more like a child or an old person. Most little girls (pre-teens) aren't into make-up, fashion and hairstyles. Some may be, but not many. I know a lot of people with little girls, and they're just happy with scooping their hair back into a pony tail and getting on with it, where as a teenage girl and an adult girl (generally) prefer to spend half their morning in front of the mirror making sure their hair is dead on perfect.

Or it might just be laziness with me - I can't be bothered to waste an hour a day looking at my ugly mug in front of the mirror, caking it with make-up and straightening all my hair - only to get a small gust of wind or an itchy eye and all that morning's work is ruined.

IndieSoul
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Jul 2012, 1:15 pm

I do it to cover my acne scars that are still in the process of fading. If I didn't have them, I wouldn't wear any makeup. My skin is so oily that it just slides right off anyway.
I only wear skirts of the long and flowy kind - "hippie skirts". It's nice to dress up every now and then, like for a wedding. I'd never do it everyday as some girls at school do.
I love jeans and tee shirts. Band tee shirts especially, if I could afford the authentic ones on the band's web site.
The only kind of jewelry I usually wear is body jewelry. I have my eyebrow and nostril pierced, and several earrings. Two of these are "exotic" - my tragus and industrial. I only buy high quality jewelry made with good metals.

Bearing a gift beyond price, almost free

-RUSH

Last edited by IndieSoul on 04 Jul 2012, 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CWA
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2012, 2:04 pm

Oh yeah. I NEVER wear make up other than VERY special events like weddings or once for a week when I lost a bet. I don't care too terribly much about jewelry, clothes, shoes, purses. I wear sneakers, jeans, and a tshirt most of the time, even to work. sometimes I can get obsessed with something girly.. like I love vera bradley. Every purse I own is vera and, if I could afford it, I'd buy the duffel and other luggage items. I can look at the vera website for hours and hours. I don't want a purse if it isn't vera.

Anyway I have two little girls and neither of them are very girly either.

emmyy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Jul 2012, 2:48 pm

I'm not girly at all. I hate make up it hurts my eyes and burns. My cousin cuts my hair i prefer to hide under my hair and i like it dyed black normally it is blonde. I like to wear skinny jeans though they are comfortable and i wear my big brothers old t-shirts and hoodies that are big and smells nice and also they hide my body and also i refuse to eat because i want to get rid of little boobs and i don't like other girly stuff that riding . I don't want to be girl

SpiritBlooms
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2012, 3:12 pm

Last edited by SpiritBlooms on 09 Jul 2012, 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2012, 6:03 pm

I wear black eyeshadow on a regular basis, paint my nails black and that's about the only girly thing I do. I wear jeans and a black t-shirt with some logo on it. Sometimes I wear my Tripp pants.

Personally, I think older women who try to act like "girly-girls" look silly. I mean what you do is your business, but 50 year olds trying to be "cute" or "hot" just annoys me.

The thing about my style(MallGoth), it's timeless. Will I always wear jelly bracelets, I don't know. Who says I can't?

-Down, The Birthday Massacre