How old were you when you were diagnosed?

Page 7 of 7 [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

dancinonwater
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Aug 2011, 9:21 am

I am 14 and am trying to work up the nerve to talk to my psychologist about Aspergers, as I know I have it. I so wish that I had known about Asperger's when I was younger, as it has been so helpful in understanding myself, and also being less hard on myself about my Autistic traits. I don't know what you ended up doing, but I encourage any parent in this situation to tell your child as soon as possible! Most likely they will be glad to have their oddities explained, and if they deny it... Well they will be glad that you told them rather than keeping it from them at some point in their lives.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2011, 1:45 pm

Originally told about AS and that it probably matched me at age 13. Was told at that time that I would probably not be given a diagnosis so we shouldn't pursue one. Researched and self-diagnosed between 13 and 15.

Stopped associated with ASDs at 18 because of bad experiences with people mislabeling themselves having AS. Eventually decided I probably would be labeled PDD-NOS, because I wasn't a stereotypical case of AS....

And then at 22, last month, was diagnosed with AS, and found out that all of the reasons I was thinking I would be labeled as PDD-NOS instead of AS were false stereotypes. :)

joeyfarlz
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Aug 2011, 12:36 pm

I was diagnosed in November 1999, I was nearly 13... (Two months off).

But its only been in the last month or so, since I've been on Wrong Planet, that I've really accepted it. My brother is severely autistic, and so I was convinced I had learned a lot of my behaviours from him. I still do think that to an extent, but I havent seen him since 2006 (He lives in Australia near my mother, I live in England) and I'm still exhibiting some of those behaviours and I'm like well Patrick's not here to influence me, so I must have it, but I feel like a fraud.

I would tell your daughter, and just say that if she gets a diagnosis, she doesn't have to accept it straight away, but if she takes too long to accept it, she could miss out on a lot like I did.

CeciliaAnn
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Sep 2011, 1:47 pm

It was a year-long process for me, with a psychologist brought in by the school system and my personal therapist. The psychologist questioned my mother and myself, as well as my teachers over the school year. I don't know how people usually do this, but this was her way. At the age of seventeen, it was concluded by both parties that I do have Asperger Syndrome.

"Misery's fun, I'm kissing everyone... I gotta hold my tongue." - The Breeders

gemstone123
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2011, 2:21 pm

I was 12 when I was diagnosed. Didn't even know what it was. :lol:

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ...

Julie362
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

13 Sep 2011, 12:20 pm

I was diagnosed last year at age 18, and I am almost 20 now.

ZaannV
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Sep 2011, 4:27 pm

It was a complete and utter nightmare for me, because people around me were so uneducated and had a general disregard for me anyway. ( feel a bit insecure with what i original wrote about my experience ahha :cry: still uncomfortable to talk about) I was 16 when i finally had a diagnosis and listed as sane. I really thought I was alone until I found this website. It was complete suffering. My life has changed in positive ways with being able to read other peoples experiences and feelings with

Last edited by ZaannV on 15 Sep 2011, 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

KathySilverstein
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Sep 2011, 1:47 am

Wow, ZaanV, that's awful. All I had to for my diagnosis was talk to a psychologist 4 or 5 times! I got off really easy.

I was diagnosed when I was 21, in my junior year of college. And YES, it was a huge relief! My whole life changed, I found friends for the first time an I started to accept myself. I am so thankful to have that knowledge, even if I wish I had it earlier.

ZaannV
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Sep 2011, 3:18 am

My experience sounds really dramatic but it was sadly true in each way. Its really good to hear that your experience was a bit better Kathy. I hope the psychologists werent upsetting in anyway. Its good that people can talk and share their experiences, maybe others can get better help with diagnosis in the future and being able to feel more comfortable with themselves , so they dont go through nightmares.
The positivity of this website :) It certainly does help you feel sane hehe

peaceloveerin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Sep 2011, 3:44 pm

PDD-NOS when I was 3, even though my mom and I knew it was Aspergers all along. The only reason I think I was diagnosed as that was so I could qualify for special education services and certain therapies. I was never in special education classes in school, I was mainstreamed from K-12. I wasn't diagnosed as having Aspergers until I was 12.

godoftruemercy
Toucan
Toucan

20 Sep 2011, 11:36 pm

I was diagnosed at nine but I wasn't told until I was eighteen. Probably a good idea socialization-wise. Still, pissed me off juuust a little when my doctor told me.

twich
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Sep 2011, 2:24 am

26, just last week.

smudgy25
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Sep 2011, 8:15 pm

Oh my goodness I have just caught up with this thread (I am the original poster) after 2 years!! !! so my apologies to each and every one of you for the lateness of my reply :oops:

My daughter is now nearly 18 and she has had a very disturbing experience with another boy recently which has thrown everything into chaos for her, plus her college life is incredibly difficult for her, she is struggling so much with everything and yet at the same time she has an amazing capacity to brush it all under the carpet (just like her father)! It is only a week ago that she agreed with her grandmother that she would like to see a professional but today has changed her mind - yes I knew she would I know her pretty well........I am left feeling devastated that she is not acknowledging how much she is truly struggling. I am so unhappy that she continually chooses to blame me for questioning her, for fighting her corner (she just can't see how much I love her sometimes). She is ALWAYS sorry after a meltdown/rage attack on me, sometimes can take a few hours for her to process it all and then she is truly sorry.

In the past week I have found a clinical psychologist, one who firstly can help her (she has 20 years autism experience) and then as time goes on or when the psych feels the time is right I guess, to assess for Aspergers.

Now is the time for my husband to step in here. They are so incredibly alike, my husband is undiagnosed but can hold down work long term, marriage etc. yep we are still married after 24 years together :D I know our daughter will listen to him.

I am completely and utterly exhausted through all of this, not only having to educate my husband on the reasons why sticking your head in the bloody sand doesnt help at all and his pat answers of "trust me she will be ok, look at me I got through life ok"................my answer to that is "well dear husband you are male, she is female"! !

This really is crunch time. Any advise from you ladies out there on how to get my daughter to see sense and get the help she needs? thanks, and really interesting the replies on the different ages of diagnosis.