Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

fragaria
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Sep 2012, 11:34 pm

With sunglasses on I feel a liitle bit less self conscious and more sure about myself.
I like the fact that people can't see my eyes or look into my eyes and it's a pity you can't wear them all the time when going out . It would be a little strange on cold winter days.
It also gives me the false impression that I'm invisible and I feel less threatened by other peoples gazes.
Am I an exception?

Tsproggy
Toucan
Toucan

02 Sep 2012, 12:26 am

Nope,

I feel the same way. I actually get pissed off when people look me in the eyes or stare at me. I've had a few days where i've been like "f**k it" and would stare back at people to see how they liked it. Sunglasses are nice.. people tend not to look at me so much. I just don't like that I don't get wtf they're looking at, is it a bad thing or a good thing?! Should I be offended? Should I prepare to fight? I don't know.. With sunglasses I can ignore all that s**t and all those people and blend more.. I would feel more comfortable in a mask though. Those tend to scare people and then they don't WANT to even look in your general direction! haha!

SteffiTheSmile
Toucan
Toucan

02 Sep 2012, 9:49 am

Since I've been able to put them on myself, I wore sunglasses until I had to stop for school.
I think this is because of the same reason as OP, sensitivity to light, or both.

EstherJ
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2012, 10:09 am

I can't stand them.

They fall off my face.
They scratch my ears.
They push against my eyelashes
The press my nose and forehead.

So, maybe I'm the exception.

Although I do do what Tsproggy does and stare people down when they keep looking at me. I mean, come on, I'm another human. Surprise!

Kjas
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2012, 1:30 am

I love sunnies, they're great.
I do feel much more comfortable with them on, although people tend to stare at me more when I wear them.
Knowing they can't see my eyes makes it easier to relax as much as possible in public though.
On my bad days, I often wear them in public to help me get through the day - whatever makes it easier I figure.

EstherJ wrote:
I mean, come on, I'm another human. Surprise!

:lmao:

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2012, 3:07 am

fragaria wrote:
With sunglasses on I feel a liitle bit less self conscious and more sure about myself.
I like the fact that people can't see my eyes or look into my eyes and it's a pity you can't wear them all the time when going out . It would be a little strange on cold winter days.

Sure you can. It gets sunny in winter too and there can be glare off the snow making things worse if it snows where you live.

I almost always wear sunglasses if I go out when it's light out regardless of the weather.

meems
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2012, 6:21 am

I'm almost always wearing sunglasses.

NextDoorLunatic
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Sep 2012, 7:00 am

I don't wear sunglasses since I already wear 'normal' glasses, can't afford a nice pair of sunglasses right and have an eye condition that makes me very sensitive to both light and darkness so I'd constantly be changing glasses. But ever since I got my first pair of glasses nine years ago I felt more confident because even though others can see my eyes it still feels like they create a certain distance between myself and others.

Virginiarw
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Sep 2012, 12:42 pm

I feel very uncomfortable when people stare at me. That's why I hate street harassment more then any of my friends. People act like I'm a show and they are at the circus when all I'm trying to do is live my own life. I wear sunglasses, too, sometimes. I take the least crowded path because I'm uncomfortable with staring and large crowds. Its not that I hate people, I hate the judging eyes. (I mean I go to community college and sometimes people still act like they are in high school, no middle school.) Maybe its because I can perceive better when people are staring at me and why. Like if its lust or jealousy or judging. It doesn't really make sense for an Aspie I guess, but I am very perceptive and intuitive. Just sometimes my anxiety gets in the way.

AliceInAspieland
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Sep 2012, 6:05 am

I love my sunnies. I wear glasses, so mine are prescription. I had to save up to get them, but its been worth it.

If anyone says anything about you wearing sunnies inside or looks at you funny, you could shrug and say they're prescription. You forgot your other frames and you need them to see. Or if you're feeling brave use the excuse I do. If rockstars and celebrities can why can't I? Bono, Usher, Gene Simmons, Gwen Stefani, JLo, Rihanna, Emma Watson, Lady Gaga and Britney Spears all do.
You can also say you've got a headache, or bright lights hurt your eyes.

Things related to fashion I find tend to be accepted more if you try to carry them it off with confidence. Which can be hard for us, I know.

kt24
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Sep 2012, 11:44 am

NextDoorLunatic wrote:
I don't wear sunglasses since I already wear 'normal' glasses, can't afford a nice pair of sunglasses right and have an eye condition that makes me very sensitive to both light and darkness so I'd constantly be changing glasses. But ever since I got my first pair of glasses nine years ago I felt more confident because even though others can see my eyes it still feels like they create a certain distance between myself and others.

Agree! I've had glasses only a month and I've already noticed this. Also my eye contact has improved since having glasses- weird!

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2012, 1:16 pm

Sometimes I do, but I still catch people staring at me even with my sunglasses on. It can be even worse sometimes because if I look in somebody's direction and I've got sunglasses on, they look at me as if to think ''is she staring at me??'', because they can't see where my eyes are exactly aiming at, so just because I'm looking their way with sunglasses on they assume I'm staring at them, which makes them glare even harder at me.

But sometimes sunglasses can be good for my anxiety though. When I'm standing still or sitting still, and people are walking by, I can close my eyes and then won't know if they're looking at me or not (I won't be able to feel it), and they say ''what the eyes don't see, the heart don't grieve'', and then that relaxes my mind and probably then relaxes my muscles in my face and stops people from looking anyway so much (I think, I don't know what they're doing really because I've got my eyes shut). It works, that's the main thing!

AliceInAspieland
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Sep 2012, 2:24 am

kt24 wrote:
NextDoorLunatic wrote:

Agree! I've had glasses only a month and I've already noticed this. Also my eye contact has improved since having glasses- weird!

It's probably because you can actually see the people you're talking to now! Lol!

I've had glasses for 12 years. I wear them all the time unless I'm in the shower or I'm sleeping. It feels strange without them now. This is my first pair of proper prescription sunglasses though.

ava777
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Oct 2012, 9:15 pm

Sunglasses are great!! ! I wear them 365 unless it's it raining and straight up pitch black outside.

Bluereef
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Oct 2012, 1:21 am

I actually got excited when I saw this "I feel safer with sunglasses on" post. I seriously thought I was alone in this. Even when it's raining or night time, I have to have them, even just to slide them up on the top of my head, just knowing they are there I feel better. I feel silly about it, but I guess it's just the way it is. :)

Lilya
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2012, 5:34 pm

Definitely, I usually always have my sunglasses on for the very same reasons :) Glad to hear there are others who feel the same way.