It's said most girls with AS don't do girly things? Your op?

Page 8 of 10 [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Do you where make up?
Yes, Everyday. (More than 4 products) 9%  9%  [ 31 ]
No, Never. 36%  36%  [ 120 ]
Only on important days/outings. (More than 4 products) 24%  24%  [ 80 ]
I do but only 1-3 products. 30%  30%  [ 98 ]
Total votes : 329

SpiritBlooms
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2012, 6:14 pm

Last edited by SpiritBlooms on 09 Jul 2012, 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2012, 1:52 am

I like to be clean and neat, I like to clean, I wear female clothing, I played with dolls growing up and Polly Pockets, I played with make up and dress up but yet mom says I was a tom boy up until age ten because I also did boy stuff like get dirty, play in the mud, climb trees, played with my brothers toys, played fighting games. But I still wore girl clothes.

So I would say I was a girly girl and I was emotional too and talked about my feelings because I would say what was bothering me and how kids were treating me at school. But apparently I have a hard time with my feelings because whenever I express them, they are thoughts I am expressing, not feelings. Sure I can say "This pisses me off" and that is expressing my feelings. It is saying it makes me angry.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses. Possibly OCD. Is very private about herself.

CWA
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2012, 12:27 pm

SpiritBlooms wrote:
I'm sorry, but the poll doesn't do it for me, so I didn't respond. If makeup is your only criterion for being "girly" I think that's rather absurd. I don't wear makeup because I'm allergic and it's bad for my skin. I used to wear it all the time.

I have this problem as well, even with the hypoallergenic stuff. After I lost that bet and had to wear makup for a week, I broke out for two months! I have bad skin anyway, but it got much worse...

Briana_Lopez
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jul 2012, 9:55 am

I wasn't really that girly when I was younger. When I was in elementary school, I liked some girl things, but I felt like I was meant to be a tomboy. But when I moved back into my hometown at age 13, I had a sleepover with the "popluar" girls, who transformed me into the complete girly girl I am today.

mv
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2012, 10:26 am

What *are* girly things? I think I'm not girly, but I can't be sure because I just like things that I like, whether someone considers them "girly" or not. If I don't do something that's considered "girly" it's because it doesn't appeal to me for some reason, likely having nothing to do with my gender.

I do wear makeup but I don't spend a lot of time grooming or adorning myself. I'm uncomfortable with attention, so that would be counterproductive, really. On the other hand, I've had two children, and I loved the pregnancy process, but it didn't make me feel any differently than I did before. I think I just identify with me; to me there is no purpose in identifying on a larger scale with a group of people who may or may not share some characteristics with you.

Yuzu
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2012, 10:51 pm

No I don't do girly things. I like the idea of wearing dresses or skirts but when I do, I feel really strange like I'm in a costume or something.
I don't like wearing jewelry, getting haircut, manicure, facials, and going shopping.

However, I wear makeup almost everyday. I feel naked and ugly without it. And people (men and women) treat me better if I have makeup on.

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2012, 2:15 pm

I can be somewhat girly, but I'm really not as girly as your average girl. I didn't care for shopping till I was 16. When I was younger, I would always hate going shopping. Now when I do go shopping, I perfer to go in and out of stores. I'm not like other girls who will spend hours in a store. I have some girly interests such as cooking, sewing, fascination with people, pop music. But then I also having less girlier interests such as electronics, science, numbers, etc.

My maintances is probably one of my least girliest things. I live much like a guy; I dont always shower everyday, I forget to wear deodorant a lot, i wash my face infrequently, I dont clean my room and bathroom as much as I should, I dont like keeping excess junk around my room, I wear the same clothes more the once.

Clotheswise, I mostly wear comfortable clothes: shirts, tanks, shorts, pants, mostly running shoes. I dont feel comfortable with dressing up unless everyone around me is. I do take interest in wearing nicer clothes such as skirts or dresses but I dont do it that often. I almost always wear some form of fully covered shoes,(mostly running shoes) due to feet sensory issues. I do own flats and sandals, but I rarely wear them because there not comfortable. In terms of nice footwear, I wear nice boots when its cold. Hairwise, its just wash and wear. I tie back my hair if its hot and thats mostly it. I only wear makeup for special occasions.

Shroomy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Jul 2012, 2:26 pm

At the age of 15 I started straightening my hair, and wearing lipstick and concealer (for dark under-eye shadows) to music college cos I fancied someone. :lol: lol. At 18 I started wearing mascara and at 20 I learned how to do eyeliner using dark eyeshadow and one of those flat edged brushes. I have very little skill with makeup, but I learned how to do mascara and eyeliner in one way I like and I always do it the same way cos I know it looks ok and I like doing that. I never use foundation or any of that kind of stuff though. I don’t really get the point of it and I don’t know how anyway. I focus more on skin care. Nowadays I like wearing nice, girly-ish clothes out but most of my clothes are quite simple cos I don’t know what the fashion is and I don’t know what goes with what, so yeah. I don’t wear heels either. My favourite type of shoe is flats. I also enjoy clothes shopping… alone. I like earrings. And I love cute things like smiley faces and baby animals. Still quite girly but not super girly. =)

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2012, 2:35 pm

I paint my nails black and wear black eyeshadow. That's about as girly as I get.

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

Erminetheawkward
Raven
Raven

14 Jul 2012, 11:19 pm

All I do is light makeup (not much beyond mascara, mineral foundation, and blush). Any more than that and I have a strong temptation to take it off after a couple hours. I also like styling my hair, but since I have a pixie cut, it's pretty low maintenance no matter what. I just need to keep it trimmed. I also can't/won't do manicures.

As for clothes, my default is jeans, converses, and t-shirts, but I also like composing my outfits (I'm a graphic design student, and like playing with the different colors, patterns and cuts, but don't pay too much attention to trends). I wear heels for church, but not much else. I also can't wear tight or frilly clothing for long without wanting to change into something more comfortable and casual.

All in all, I'd say I'm girly but practical.

Cadawell
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Jul 2012, 4:58 pm

I voted 'Never,' though that's not entirely correct. I've worn make-up exactly 4 times in my life: my 16th birthday when my mother took me to a spa, prom, my sister's wedding (twice - once for 'testing' beforehand and once for the actual wedding). I tend to rub my face and eyes throughout the day, and when I try to do that while wearing make-up I of course get foundation all overi my fingers and it feels weird to boot. The last time I wore it my lips felt weird for days after I'd washed it off and anytime I touched my face my fingers would come away kind of shiny.

That said, I keep my nails long and fairly nice-looking. As a kid I hated having them cut, and whenever I cut them myself I'd go too short. I was allowed to let them grow as long as I kept them clean, and it's become a point of pride for me. Used to wear nail polish quite often, but not recently. I don't mind skirts and dresses for special occasions but usually wear jeans and a t-shirt. I also like wearing earrings and my ears are pierced. Wearing them for two or more days in a row makes my ears tender, though. My hair's down to my shoulders and used to be longer.

Interests-wise, I'd say I have a mix of girly and non-girly. I like sc-fi, video games, explosions and action scenes (always have), but I also enjoy reading more 'emotional' stories. I like shopping as long as it involves food or electronics. As a kid I played with Barbies and Polly Pockets with my sister, and also Lego with my brothers. I hate the stereotypical 'make-up, shoes, boys, etc' girly interests, but also dislike sports, beer, etc, which are the stereotypical guy interests.

AspieSW
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

15 Jul 2012, 5:07 pm

Rarely bother except important stuff like interviews. Im more likely to wear face paint other times haha! The local shop think im a hippy as I'll face paint flowers down my face if im going kids party - why should they have all the fun?!

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2012, 6:58 am

I'm not girly at all, never have been in my 35 years.
Don't wear make up, don't shave my legs/arm pits or 'other' places, wear perfume about once a decade, cut my own hair, always wear sports pants or jeans and a T-shirt/ jumper, always baggy, never tight cloths because I find them indecent and sickening (not a sensory issue for me), and I hate skirts and dresses and haven't worn them since I was forced to as a kid.
I've always preferred short hair, and I had it cut short at nine when my mother finally let me, and I've kept it short ever since.

I'm not into chick flicks at all, nor chick lit. I don't fit into societal expectations of females, and I have no wish to. I think everyone should be who they are (excluding violence or murder of course), and society be damned!

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Morningstar
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Jul 2012, 11:31 pm

I was never very girly until I started going nuts over Victorian-era fashion and etiquette. It's a different type of girly than what I'm used to seeing in today's society, and I relate to it better. Still, most of my interests are things that guys normally enjoy, like video games and rock music.

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2012, 4:12 pm

Morningstar wrote:
I was never very girly until I started going nuts over Victorian-era fashion and etiquette. It's a different type of girly than what I'm used to seeing in today's society, and I relate to it better. Still, most of my interests are things that guys normally enjoy, like video games and rock music.

I've always liked girly stuff, but I wanted to wear princess dresses and carry a sword, sparkly fairy wands with wizard powers, stuff like that.

UDAspie13
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Aug 2012, 1:41 am

I hate most girly behaviors.
My mother forces makeup on my on special occasions but I hate it
Jewelry annoys me except stud earrings
I only wear a skirt to church and even then always knee length or longer
I hate everything about puberty
so.... yeah... only difference is I get no support AS wise because I'm undiagnosed. :(