Is There Anyone Who DOESN'T Want To Have Kids?

Page 9 of 12 [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

peaceloveerin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Oct 2011, 11:26 pm

Squirsh wrote:
I don't want kids and I never have. If I can save up enough money for a hysterectomy and can find a hospital willing to do the operaton, I'm definitely having my womb removed as soon as I get an opportunity. I know it seems a bit extreme but the effect my periods have on me is like being ill for a week every month (it's been this way since I was just 9 years old), and I don't trust tubal ligation to be absolutely 100% effective at stopping me getting pregnant when I eventually become sexually active (apparently there's still a tiny chance of becoming pregnant, and even if it is just the tiniest chance ever I'd rather not risk it), so I might as well have something done that takes care of both these problems.

When I tell people I don't want children, I usually get one of the following 4 reactions:
A reasonable response like "well I guess parenthood isn't for everyone"
People telling me I'll change my mind or recommending therapy to change my attitude
People assuming I hate children or want to hurt kids (which REALLY hurts me emotionally, because I'd never hurt a child)
People assuming I look down on people who do want to be parents.

Sadely the first one isn't as common as the others. I actually have a lot of respect for people who have kids and treat them well. I don't think I'm morally superior for wanting to stay childless, I just don't want to be a parent. Why is that so hard for so many people to understand?

Its really sad that people think you don't want children because you hate them. There are lots of people who love children, but feel they can't have their own because its a huge responsibility. I certainly do not look down on parents, although I do feel teenage mothers are bad role models for young girls.

As for having a voluntary surgery, I think you should probably consider other options. Having a hysterectomy should not be an option unless you have a serious reproductive medical condition, such as endometriosis. So for now, I would just recommend using birth control. You should also talk to someone in your family and see what their thoughts are.
This is only my opinion. I just feel this kind of surgery is too extreme if a woman doesn't have any reproductive problems.

Hyram_Inesh
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Oct 2011, 11:45 pm

I don't want any...

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2011, 3:04 am

I don't want kids either and am never going to have any.

Squirsh
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Oct 2011, 10:39 am

peaceloveerin wrote:
Its really sad that people think you don't want children because you hate them. There are lots of people who love children, but feel they can't have their own because its a huge responsibility. I certainly do not look down on parents, although I do feel teenage mothers are bad role models for young girls.

As for having a voluntary surgery, I think you should probably consider other options. Having a hysterectomy should not be an option unless you have a serious reproductive medical condition, such as endometriosis. So for now, I would just recommend using birth control. You should also talk to someone in your family and see what their thoughts are.
This is only my opinion. I just feel this kind of surgery is too extreme if a woman doesn't have any reproductive problems.

It's interesting that you mention endometriosis, my mother has it and she did have a proceedure done to prevent the lining of her womb from growing. I've never been examined to see if there's anything wrong but I probably should, since my periods truly are awful (I won't go into any details since I don't want to gross anybody out). I'm currently on birth control to help regulate them but it can only do so much and there are certain aspects it can't do anything for. I've talked a lot with my mother and she's supportive of my decision to have the operation. I agree that it's extreme but not wanting to have children definitely isn't the only reason I'm considering it. I think when the time comes that I've got enough money, I'll discuss things with a doctor or counsellor since that will help me explore my options more thoroughly.

Sowlowsolo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Oct 2011, 2:16 pm

Ok - this is a loooong old and current post - so I just want to add that in having a kid you get to play with Lego, Tomy trains, K-Nex, Sega, N64, Gameboy, More Lego, Hotwheels, Action Man, Playmobile, even more Lego - need I say more :D

I would just like to add that these are not good reasons to have a child - - - but I bloody enjoyed them and so did he - and he still knows how to play at 21 :D

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2011, 5:03 pm

No. The thought of childbirth and anything breaking, urgh...

Plus, the AS runs in the family.

peaceloveerin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Oct 2011, 6:25 pm

Squirsh wrote:
peaceloveerin wrote:

It's interesting that you mention endometriosis, my mother has it and she did have a proceedure done to prevent the lining of her womb from growing. I've never been examined to see if there's anything wrong but I probably should, since my periods truly are awful (I won't go into any details since I don't want to gross anybody out). I'm currently on birth control to help regulate them but it can only do so much and there are certain aspects it can't do anything for. I've talked a lot with my mother and she's supportive of my decision to have the operation. I agree that it's extreme but not wanting to have children definitely isn't the only reason I'm considering it. I think when the time comes that I've got enough money, I'll discuss things with a doctor or counsellor since that will help me explore my options more thoroughly.

Well, if you think you may have a condition like that, you should definitely get it checked out!

jenniferjupiter
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Oct 2011, 7:39 pm

I'm kinda ambivalent about kids, which I take to mean I probably shouldn't have them. I need a lot of time to myself and just living with my boyfriend can get to be too much stimulation sometimes. Other reasons why not: I don't see myself making close to enough money to support kids AND what all else I'd like to do in my lifetime (heck, I don't know if I'll ever make enough for the latter). I didn't have the best family life myself, so while I've always longed for kinship, I don't think it is reasonable to expect my kids to fulfill that need.

I could actually see myself being a good mom if things were like they used to be where women took care of the home and kids and life was simpler. I like kids and I respect the effort it takes to parent responsibly. But I am constantly overwhelmed/overstimulated and made anxious by all that goes on in the world, all the information, people, and material things I have to make an effort to keep up with to be even slightly aware of what is going on outside of my head. On top of that, I would have to work in addition to being a mom, and I struggle *every day* to keep my head above water in the workplace. I just don't see it happening, and I've accepted that. I'll do other things with my short time on this planet.

fragment
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Oct 2011, 6:19 pm

I have known since I was a child myself that I do not want children. I am glad that my parents and in-laws have not put any pressure on me to do so and that my husband is fine with my feelings on this (he says he could have gone either way). The only reason I'm bothering to post this is for the younger women out there who are being told that they will change their minds in their 30s or 40s. This is not necessarily true. I am in my mid-forties and I still have no desire to have children. I know a childless (by choice, as far as I know) couple in their 70s and they do not seem to have any regrets. I also know some happy parents who are very glad they had a kid/kids (including unplanned surprises), and some people who strongly want children but have decided not to because of their situations (no mate, mate has kids with someone else and does not want more, etc.). One of this last group of people described her maternal urge (or maybe it is better to say strong urge to get pregnant and bear a child) to me and it sounded very primal, almost like a deep and intense hunger, but I have never felt this way and I found it a bit hard to understand.

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2011, 10:32 pm

I do not know if Ive replied to this thread or not. But I do not want kids. I dont like it either that my mom puts pressure on me. Shes all like whos gonna take care of you when your old cause she figures that, thats the only thing that will get me. Oh well, I dont want to be another person bringing kids into the world that Im not capable of taking care of. There are too many people in this world who have kids and they 'cant' take care of them? I mean come on.

See I work at the supermarket right now and I listen to the cashier women talking a lot amongst each other. They talk about their kids, part of having kids emphasizes how much of a super women a mother has to be. Shes gotta work a job, take care of the kids, take care of the house, and take care of the social aspects of the family...ick. Its like multitasking, I dont like multitasking. I do wanna get married. But mostly, I just want my job to take care of, im one of those people that are willing to work 50-60 hr work weeks but not wanting to work less 30-40 and take care of kids. Nothing that involves watching out for the well fair of other people gosh. Cause once u put the well fare of other people in MY hands, who knows whats gonna happen? Besides, Im a one track minded workaholic individual, ill put in the same amount of work that you do, but of mostly much of the same nature. Not this kids, work, kids, work, family, taking care of whoever, etc etc etc that so many women do. There are many caretakers in this world, Im NOT one of them regardless of my gender.

Astraea
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Oct 2011, 2:15 am

Hello Auri, I'm new to WP and I'd like to add my name to the list of women who do not want children. I've never had any desire to raise kids - in fact, I've been considering sterilization. 8O In the event that I inexplicably develop maternal instincts, I can always adopt.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2011, 3:20 am

Ai_Ling wrote:
Shes all like whos gonna take care of you when your old cause she figures that, thats the only thing that will get me..

I wonder who will take care of me when/if I get old but having a child or even multiple children is no guarantee that they will take care of you when you are old. They could be selfish little brats, or move far away, or want nothing to do with you when they grow up, or need care themself.

safffron
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Oct 2011, 7:59 am

When I was in my late 20's/early 30's, I considered having children because it was part of the typical adult program. But my identity was weak, I wasn't in love, and no man seemed like father material. I wasn't going to do it on my own. Another thing - I felt like I'd barely lived for myself as I was always propping myself up in one way or another. What did I have to give? So I didn't have children.

When I was a girl, I would put my dolls to bed and forget about them for a week. I didn't like playing "house." Maybe the signs were already there.

I'm surrounded by "momulators" in my neighborhood and I can't relate. In fact, sometimes I'm repulsed.

GreyGirl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2011, 7:46 pm

I absolutely, positively, most assuredly, fanatically, DO NOT WANT CHILDREN!! ! The whole idea of it makes me want to wretch. Thankfully my husband feels the same way.
I had to laugh a little bit, though, when I saw this thread. I had recently come across a school assignment from second grade. In it I explained in great detail why I absolutely, positively,...did not want kids even then. I even gave the same examples of why as I say now. :wink:
Granted, my grandmother told me I would never become a "whole person" without having a child of my own. I said," Thank you Grandmom". :)

Just wondering, if something living and growing inside of something else was nothing but normal, why does everyone shudder at the scene in "Alien" where the thing bursts out of the person's stomach. Shouldn't women simply say, "wow, what a different way to do a C-Section?"

Merp
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Oct 2011, 9:48 am

[quote="GreyGirl"Just wondering, if something living and growing inside of something else was nothing but normal, why does everyone shudder at the scene in "Alien" where the thing bursts out of the person's stomach. Shouldn't women simply say, "wow, what a different way to do a C-Section?"[/quote]

I love your spirit!! :lol:
Reading this thread has made me feel so great - maybe that seems wierd but there is a stupid amount of pressure no matter what your position . . . pressure to have em' if you don't want to, pressure not to if you do :roll:

My husband and I get all kinds of criticism saying we shouldn't have kids - what if we breed a hoard of autistics? What about that overpopulation thing? What about this what about that - believe me there are tonnes of people who support the decision Not To have kids! You are all "in good company" as they say.

What I did get from reading this is that there are LOTS of people who choose not to - such that I can feel okay about going ahead and having a few.

I know this is really about people who don't want any kids and clearly I am among the others, but I wanted to reply to the C-section comment because it is soooo witty! (and perhaps acurate - the whole experience was a little "alien"!)

Kaelynn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Oct 2011, 4:17 pm

I dont want kids! I dont see the piont in having them.