It's said most girls with AS don't do girly things? Your op?

Page 9 of 10 [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Do you where make up?
Yes, Everyday. (More than 4 products) 9%  9%  [ 31 ]
No, Never. 36%  36%  [ 120 ]
Only on important days/outings. (More than 4 products) 24%  24%  [ 80 ]
I do but only 1-3 products. 30%  30%  [ 98 ]
Total votes : 329

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2012, 12:44 am

When I was little I went through a phase where I only wore skirts and dresses. When I was twelve to fourteen I only went in public with makeup on. I was also obsessed with fashion. I wasn't the best at makeup when I was twelve, but I don't think NT girls are the best at twelve either. At the moment I'm okay at makeup, but I don't wear it every single day.

fossil_n
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Aug 2012, 5:04 pm

I cannot stand to wear makeup or facepaint or use creams or moisturizers or any of that stuff, its a sensory thing. I've only worn makeup twice, both times to Prom, and I only wore it because my mom and younger sister practically forced me to wear it. I really hate that women are expected to wear makeup to formal occasions like interviews. It's so sexist, but nobody ever says anything about it.

In other ways I'm a little bit more girly, as a kid I played with barbies all the time. I like to wear dresses occasionally, and I love to needlepoint.

Puberty was not an ok thing with me, but I think that was because my body was doing some crazy things, like growing 32HH breasts at age 10-12.

Imweird
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Aug 2012, 8:47 pm

Never wore makeup until recently...at age 50 I need it now. Could get away with it before.
Hate fashion. I wear jeans, sneakers, sweat pants, sweat shirts, etc.
As a child, I played kickball, softball, climbed trees, dug up worms for my pet turtles, played with fuzzy caterpillars, etc.
I had done my hair and makeup one day because my mother had an appointment for me to have my high school graduation picture taken at Sears. I finally refused to go and jumped in the pool, lol. Then my father starting singing "Some day my prints will come..."
Sometimes I like jewelry, but I don't wear a lot. I am into stones, rocks and semiprecious stones now.
Parties like bridal or baby showers...I can't stand the commotion and noise. I would love to just drop off the gift, grab a piece of cake and take it home with me to eat alone.
I can't stand to hear women talk about their kids' career moves, graduations, celebrations and accomplishments. It's all so boring to me...I don't care, I don't care, I just don't care. But I sit there smiling and going "Oh wow! Oh, that's great. Wow, you must be so proud." AAACK.

Sorry, I know this sounds so negative!

EQ: 17
You are very likely an Aspie

PokemonChampionIris
Raven
Raven

12 Aug 2012, 2:09 pm

I've always been very 'girly', even now, i'm quite girly, even if i'm understand stuff like 'toughness' and 'violent' video games better now than I used to....

And it really bother's me that some people in this thread said they didn't do 'girly' things till they were like FIFTY!! ! :cry: Even if i'm trying to forget that word even EXISTS anymore, it still really damages my self esteme....

Espesally if there COULD be truth to it. :cry: I never wanna find the day where I can no longer like flowers or happy things at all.......i'd feel like a SLAVE.

~Pokemon Trainer for LIFE...~

SteffiTheSmile
Toucan
Toucan

13 Aug 2012, 5:06 am

I was very much a tomboy up until the age of 11, but now I'm slightly leaning towards more girly things.
I wear makeup, normally just one product, but sometimes anything up to 6.

I went to a school for aspies(only 3 months though), and all of the girls chose to do jewellery making, at the end of the week, as a treat (apart from me), but they might of all chosen to do the same thing, to be with their friends(I don't know, but when I joined the school, it was unheard of for a girl, to want to do anything else), I know some of the boys did it to be with the girls :P.

PokemonChampionIris
Raven
Raven

13 Aug 2012, 5:51 am

SteffiTheSmile wrote:
I went to a school for aspies(only 3 months though), and all of the girls chose to do jewellery making, at the end of the week, as a treat (apart from me), but they might of all chosen to do the same thing, to be with their friends(I don't know, but when I joined the school, it was unheard of for a girl, to want to do anything else), I know some of the boys did it to be with the girls :P.

....WOW.
8O :D

That...*sniffle* Really does help disprove the black and white....and the so-called 'commen' stereo types.
:cry:

*huggle's* Thank you...
:)

~Pokemon Trainer for LIFE...~

CrazyRatLady
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Aug 2012, 6:49 am

Hmm, I do wear make up, usually eye liner and mascara, plus lip liner and lipstick (I am obsessed with red lipstick). I'm currently letting my hair grow, because some Polish hitchhiker (girl) told me I'd look good with long hair (yes, that is actually what happened). I do wax my eyebrows and the thought of having hairy legs scares the hell outta me (I blame that on sensory issues, though). I usually ignore that, though, because I just can't keep up with my supply of razors and shaving gel, so I usually have quite hairy legs. I just wear long pants. I used to put hair spray in my hair when it was a little shorter, but it is now at the point where I don't need any products any more. My standard clothing consists of either jeans or pants with a loose or normal shirt, and all-stars or boots. I also love hoodies and sweaters when it's cold. I shop at the army surplus store, too. Their products are durable and reasonably priced, and very practical. So imagine me like this: a girl with half long hair, a lip piercing and shockingly red lipstick, wearing pants with a lot of pockets and a set of boots, and a looney tunes T-shirt (or something like that) that's five sizes too big. I'd say I look ridiculous, but I also kinda like being unique. Sometimes I wear a fake fur hat in the middle of July just because I thought 'I'd like to wear a fur hat today'. I used to have crazy colored hair, but I don't do that any more. I'd say I'm just weird looking, but not at all girly, even though I wear lipstick.

NextDoorLunatic

13 Aug 2012, 2:07 pm

Growing up I wasn't girly at all but very much of a tomboy. I did things that were dangerous, dirty, wild and when so,e girls chickened out because they thought something was ugly I wanted to do it a fortiori. Later, when I wanted to fit in more, I was kind of torn between the way other girls my age were and my parents raised me.

None of them cares much about fashion and makeup but the problem was that while a lot of pre-teens were extremely superficial and would look upon everyone who didn't wear makeup as childish and very immature so were my parents - just that, for them, the oposite applied. In many other aspects I wasn't like other children or teens but every problem I had, even if it were suicidal thoughts at the age of eight, they were "normal for kids my age".
I still get to hear it today, eleven years later, but I always tried to prove that I wasn't just "kids my age". Whenever I tried to become more girly thought they were asking if was wearing makeup like I was a kindergartener using greasepaint in order to look like a cat or something... so everything else I did, consequentely, was not taken seriously either. So I did my best to show that at least some of the issues I had (and since everybody goes through puberty at some point I know today that some, although just a certain amount, of problems were normal... but many others weren't) were serious, not childish and, anyways, needed to be solved.

Meanwhile the kids at school would look down upon everybody who wasn't wearing makeup. As we grew older this lessened but especially in the grades 5 (when most started to become more fashionable, began to read girly magazines and to generally get into youth culture), 6 and 7 not wearing makeup and fashinable clothes (for these the same thing applies as does to makeup - I basically had to fight for every shirt I owned at that time since my parents stuck to the idea that two sweatshirts and like five tops or so are plenty enough... no matter what age I got them and what they looked like; as long as they were in one piece they were okay -.-) pretty much made one extremely weird and for some reason generally ugly, childish (because mocking those who don't fit in very well is such a mature thing to do - I once pointed it out, outing myself as such an immature, "gay" jerk trying to be smart), stupid, ignorant and, I already mentioned it, gay, lesbian (yeah, one and the same genius used these terms seperately; but in one sentence) and, who would have guessed it?, "super-gay".

As for today I used makeup at certain occasions only but I found that I quiete enjoy to allow myself a certain amount of girlish-ness. I like to think about some of my outfits and to look for some things on the Internet that I like just the way they are... about most things I still don't care but I'm working on developing a style that isn't totally mainstream (if I couldn't join back in the days - why would I care now?!) but which makes me feel confident and good about myself. I still don't care a lot, but more than I used to and it's kind of fun to do...

musicforanna
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2012, 10:08 am

Most days I don't wear makeup. But on special occasions I certainly know how it's done. Blame my time in a show choir that cared an awful lot about appearance. That and when I made the mistake of trying to sell avon for 6 months and having a sister who used to do mary kay. So I've gotten all kinds of makeup advice on how to apply it.

Webalina
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2012, 12:57 am

Not very girly here, and it's gotten worse as I've gotten older. My mom tried for years to make me girly, but it didn't take. In my 20s I wore makeup and kept my nails done all the time -- it was pretty much an obsession at the time. And I still BUY makeup and like looking at it in the stores. But I rarely use it anymore. I'm more comfortable in jeans and Tshirts, and I get kinda disgusted with women who are all about what they look like over developing a brain or a personality.

Another reason I don't wear it is because I get supremely embarrassed by compliments when I dress up. I hate being the center of attention, and when people get all "Oh, you look so nice. You should do that all the time!" it makes me want to sink into the floor.

DarthMaul
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Aug 2012, 2:27 am

Unless girly consists of:
1. sitting at my computer for almost all day
2. killing people in MW3 on XBox
3. Skyping with my friend
4. texting
5. working on my fanfiction
6. working on my other laptop

Then no. I don't. Make-up itches my face, and breaks my face out even more (I already have bad acne). I don't actually bother combing my hair when I get up 'cause I'm in the house, I'm in my pajamas, that spells laziness (metaphorically, of course). Nah. I'm what you'd call a tomboy/recluse/that freak that obsesses over Assassin's Creed.

SteffiTheSmile
Toucan
Toucan

16 Aug 2012, 3:24 am

DarthMaul wrote:
Unless girly consists of:
1. sitting at my computer for almost all day
2. killing people in MW3 on XBox
3. Skyping with my friend
4. texting
5. working on my fanfiction
6. working on my other laptop

Then no. I don't. Make-up itches my face, and breaks my face out even more (I already have bad acne). I don't actually bother combing my hair when I get up 'cause I'm in the house, I'm in my pajamas, that spells laziness (metaphorically, of course). Nah. I'm what you'd call a tomboy/recluse/that freak that obsesses over Assassin's Creed.

I've noticed more girls, than boys, text, and Skype. Also, I've noticed, allot more girls, write fan fiction.
Would you wear makeup, if it didn't cause you to break out?

Mariannelux

26 Aug 2012, 1:38 am

i think that for most girl with AS its just not natural to do girly things. I had to learn a lot. What helped me was looking at tutorial on youtube. And even, id say i started to feel feminine around 25 years old. I wanted to become a women.

there is a theory about the fact that most person having autism being male, would mean that girls having autism are more likely to have more male genes and therefore, be some kind of tomboy.

which would explain a lot! :P

Rattus
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Aug 2012, 1:57 am

I rarely wear any make up, however as a younger teen my special interest was makeup artistry and I was obsessed for years with anything to do with it. It wasn't a vanity thing, it was purely a special interest. I had pretty good technical skill when it came to applying makeup so when I do wear makeup I think I'm still good at applying it. I've never worn makeup in the way most women do ie. to make themselves look more attractive, for me it was more like 'dress up' like you do as a child and an expression of technical skill. I still have many books on it, I have every book that Kevyn Aucoin every wrote, I have most of the books by Bobbi Brown, I have a beautiful Nars book, and a number of other books. My makeup as a teenager was primarily MAC and Bobbi Brown. I had all the professional brushes and had books and books I made of information I had got from magazines and the internet over informations. I had palettes I would mix colours and I had a number of items for prosthetics and special effects cosmetics. It was all I would talk about for years, that and Marilyn Monroe, and I would take photos of everyone that I made up so I had a record of it. It was all I spent my money on.
I think it's just as well really because where as most of the girls in my year went through the stage of terrible make up and removing pretty much all of their eyebrows, I did not and my stage of wearing bad makeup ended when I was about 10.

Julia_Set
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Aug 2012, 8:05 am

Rattus wrote:
I rarely wear any make up, however as a younger teen my special interest was makeup artistry and I was obsessed for years with anything to do with it. It wasn't a vanity thing, it was purely a special interest. I had pretty good technical skill when it came to applying makeup so when I do wear makeup I think I'm still good at applying it. I've never worn makeup in the way most women do ie. to make themselves look more attractive, for me it was more like 'dress up' like you do as a child and an expression of technical skill. I still have many books on it, I have every book that Kevyn Aucoin every wrote, I have most of the books by Bobbi Brown, I have a beautiful Nars book, and a number of other books. My makeup as a teenager was primarily MAC and Bobbi Brown. I had all the professional brushes and had books and books I made of information I had got from magazines and the internet over informations. I had palettes I would mix colours and I had a number of items for prosthetics and special effects cosmetics. It was all I would talk about for years, that and Marilyn Monroe, and I would take photos of everyone that I made up so I had a record of it. It was all I spent my money on.
I think it's just as well really because where as most of the girls in my year went through the stage of terrible make up and removing pretty much all of their eyebrows, I did not and my stage of wearing bad makeup ended when I was about 10.

Hi Rattus,

As I read your story, I could picture you working on people and looking into their faces for the best way to bring out the beauty or awesomeness within with your artistry. Kind of like how Michaelangelo could look at a slab of marble and say, "Ok, I'm gonna take this chunk of rock...and voila! Statue of David to delight the ages for millenia!" Or something like that.

I notice you talking about most of your makeup stuff in past tense? Did you sell all your brushes and equipment? BTW, I hated that no eyebrow stuff too... I never understood why people would pluck all their hair out only to pencil in Cruella DeVille lined arches that looked nowhere near as natural or nice as the real thing.

angjen0816
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Sep 2012, 10:35 am

I tried doing the makeup thing when I was a kid/teenager. For a while, I went through a goth stage and would go all out with the makeup. But I really see it as a waste of time. I don't understand why women feel the need to coat their faces with all kinds of chemicals to make themselves "attractive". I have to force myself most days just to put on "socially acceptable" clothes. I don't shave unless I am feeling self conscious about it and I don't even own makeup. Every now and then...like once every few years...I will get my eyebrows waxed but I will never pluck them. I don't see the point in washing my hair or showering more than every few days. I know this is not normal because other people have told me its not but I think they are over obsessive and shallow....meh.