Female aspies who were loathed as teenagers?

Page 2 of 5 [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

toastytoast
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

15 Nov 2010, 8:34 pm

Oh yes, I was disliked by most girls--and I continue to be. I had a couple of good friends until sixth grade or so, then by the time I was in seventh grade I had none. In eighth grade I was bullied (by girls), and I had a few friends in high school who I thought were my best friends, but they decided during our junior year that they didn't like me, and I was dropped via a "we can't be friends anymore" note. It sucked.

Now, I don't get along with straight women my age--they don't like me, and I don't have any female friends. I'm a lesbian, and lesbians seem to like me alright (as a person, I mean). Older women (straight and gay) seem to like me, too. I can totally relate to being shunned as a teenager--that's when the dislike really seemed to start.

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2010, 9:05 pm

Yeah guys ignored me in high school and part of college. Girls never seemed to like me. They could be very nasty.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

16 Nov 2010, 2:10 pm

I was cruelly treated, as a teen. I was regularly chased by groups of kids who wanted to hurt me because I was different. I had a nervous breakdown when I was 16, and dropped out of high school. I also suffered from anorexia/bulemia then, too. I eventually went back to school and got my degree, but never really made any lasting friends. Even today, I do not fit in anywhere. Even certain of my family members think I'm weird. :? :roll:

bhetti
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2010, 1:07 am

trying to fit in as a teenager was an epic failure. I'd never go back and relive it. I didn't do well with authoritarian "because I said so" policies in school. I still chafe at rules that don't make sense, and most social rules don't make sense to me.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2010, 1:36 am

Interesting someone saying they get along with guys because they play video games.

I am a gamer, have nothing in common with most women, and gamer guys are bitchy and nasty to me, have reduced me to tears more than once.

ParadoxalParadigm
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Dec 2010, 4:57 am

ArtlyBookly wrote:
So I'm reading all this stuff online about girls with Asperger's, and they say that girls with the syndrome have an easier time fitting in than boys. Well, I certainly didn't, and it's left lasting scars to this day. I was cute as a little girl, then got fat all of a sudden when I hit puberty, wore loose-fitting shirts and pants all the time because they were comfortable, and didn't like washing my hair, so that all the boys would make fun of me every day about my dandruff and my weight, among other things. I guess being Black didn't help, either. Things are different now, but I still don't wear makeup, have lost weight but still struggle with it (I love to eat) and have very little desire to dress up unless it's for someone I really like. I wish I was lucky like some of you and had a natural interest in those things. Sometimes I don't even enjoy being a woman.

I think that being black is also a big issue because I'm also black and I don't and never fit into the 'norms' expected of a black person, a female, and even more so a black female. The first 10 years of my life was spent in a very urban area, which was a big struggle for me, and since then I've lived in a predominately white, rural area, which is also a struggle for me because people say to me, "You're not what I expected in a black person," and the few black people that live in the area are like, "Yo, whassup shorty. Or, Yo, why you ain't down wit us?!," and I'm like, "Hi, excuse me, do I know you? Please step away from my person." And I am 'chubby'/fat, very very rarely use makeup, and would prefer to dress down rather than dress up. So put in all of these social, racial, gender issues and stereotypes along with Aspergers and you have a world of turmoil. No matter where I went, my experience was the worst.

ParadoxalParadigm
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Dec 2010, 5:00 am

caerulean wrote:

and to give an impression of how naturally fashionable i was: i used to walk around and goto school in my dads clothes ALL the time. Or i was wearing Looney Tunes stuff.

Yeah, I used to sometimes wear my twin brother's clothes and underwear...

Shadowy-Chan
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Dec 2010, 9:51 pm

I was always insulted for not being like everyone else, that my teeth weren't perfect, or that I was too short. Now I get compliments for how "hot" I am all the time and I don't understand it and now I feel objectified. I cannot seem to get along with NT females, because they all seem to be obsessed with the stupidest things, such as boys or clothes or makeup, and I was/still am focused on reading and furthering my education.

Mackica
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2010, 2:10 am

I was loathed and teased,especially by my younger sister and at every school I went to.I had such low self esteem. Even at the all girls school I went to,I was still teased.But today I am grateful of being who I am and what I look like..I like being tall in this island of many petite Asian women.

CaroleTucson
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2010, 10:18 am

I wasn't loathed as much as I was simply invisible, except to the artsy, poetry-writing crowd. Most of the boys who showed an interest mainly just wanted a piece of ass, and they dropped me when they didn't get it.

It started to change in college, though. And as I've gotten older, it's gradually gotten better and better. I can truthfully say that, in general, each year of my adult life has been better than the one before it.

clumsybee
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Dec 2010, 8:25 pm

High school was AWFUL. I'm mostly over everything that happened, but there was a group of 'friends' who stranded me in DC when I had a meltdown and threatened me over Facebook to commit suicide. I was either hated or unknown.

The hermit lifestyle I've been forced into because of bad health > high school.

Bethie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: My World, Highview, Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Earth, The Milky Way, Local Group, Local Supercluster

03 Dec 2010, 3:30 am

I don't really get the stereotype either...
for instance, many Aspies are very awkward socially and have a difficult time conforming to the aethetics required to fit in.
Now, which gender is expected to be more social and aesthetically attractive? :?

I don't think I've ever been "hated" per se,
but I'll never fit in, either.

I've never really gotten along with girls/women who give a rat's @ss about makeup, clothes, or looking "feminine".
I'm not really into stereotypical guy interests, either,
but I get along with them so much more because (I find that) they're more plain-spoken and blunt.

Rose_in_Winter
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2010, 9:27 pm

Girls have an easier time fitting in? BS. Boys are far less critical of people who are a little different than girls are (well, they're meaner about sexuality, but nothing else). Anyone who thinks girls have an easier time has never spent time in an all-girls' middle school. Middle school girls are almost uniformly awful to each other, and if you don't fit in, a hermit's life seem like a brilliant plan. I had stomach aches every day before school in 6th grade; sometimes I would vomit. My brother (NT) wasn't always the most popular guy, but he played sports, got lead roles in all the school plays, and got straight A's. The facts that he was openly religious, didn't date, and had a strange sense of humor didn't hurt him when compared to the approval he got from the other things. Rather than respecting those things, girls will use them as opportunities to be mean -- throw balls into your stomach or face, call you a teacher's pet, etc. Girls are far more cunning and clever when it comes to being mean -- the ostrasize the different in ways boys just don't bother with.

Like many of you, I've never really gotten along with girls. I attended an all-girls' school and an all-women's college, though, so I have had girlfriends. I even have one girlfriend now! As soon as I had the opportunity to hang out with guys on a regular basis, I realized they were less judgemental and more relaxed. I hung out with guys pretty exclusively for years; really right up until I met the friend I mentioned above -- and she's had the same experience! I'm very feminine in appearance, but in terms of activitie, I tend to like "boy stuff" better anyway. Guys are much more accepting for some reason; I don't know if that's because society doesn't expect them to shut up,sit down, and smile when we're screaming inside. They have the chance to learn to be comfortable with themselves as they are, and the chance to see more differences between people.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2010, 8:12 pm

When I was a kid I was pretty girly most of the time, I had female friends, wore frilly little dresses and had long hair. But when I became a teen that all swirled down the proverbial toilet. I couldn't stand dresses and only wanted to wear blue jeans and loose-fitting tops. I wasn't into wearing makeup. All I really cared about was drawing cartoons. Being really good at drawing was pretty much admired when I was younger but then the kids started being nasty to me about it, especially the boys. I was obsessed with Garfield comics back then so they'd scream GARFIELD's DEAD!! !
everywhere I went at school. The only boys I liked and got along with were my two cousins who were brothers, especially my younger cousin. I used to visit them a lot and spend the afternoon playing computer games and reading comic books, you know, fun things girls aren't supposed to
like? :roll: But other boys treated me like garbage and the girls usually ignored me, although they could be nasty too. One girl used to flirt and wink at me as if she found me sexually attractive...or maybe she thought I did! Yeah right, dream on. Barf! :eew: When I reached my twenties I was usually better friends with men, maybe because their world doesn't revolve around clothes and makeup and relationships and stuff I still think is stupid to this day. In fact I hate other women and I don't enjoy being one sometimes. :evil:

twisted-transistor
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Dec 2010, 2:41 am

Shadowy-Chan wrote:
I was too short.

i have exactly the oppisate problem. i tower over all my female friends and all but two of my male friends, who are both 6ft 5 i think.
i've only just come out of secondary school (is that high school for you guys?) and it was a real drag. the first two years were hell and a half, but even that did not compare to what i went through in intermedaite and primary school. i somewhat tried to fit in the first two years, and then gave up onthe third. odly, a little while after that, everybody started to like me. this year (my last at secondary school) i was hit with another bomb- boys and some girls suddenly noticed me in that way, and i had no idea of what to do, suddenly exposed to that kind of thing. i was used to just getting along, and i mean, i don't really have many points in the looks deartment, maybe a series of sudden drops in weight did it? (oh great what's next year going to be like, ive lost twice as much weight again) idk. i guess New Zealand schools are a lot kinder to diffrences than other countries, but girls can be nasty and catty everywhere i guess. i am just exceedingly lucky that some unuasually kind and supportive ones who respect my eccentricity and total honest because they were just as fed up with most females as i was.

the no make-up and baggy clothes seem to be a common trait in our kind. perhaps we should start a new fashion trend?

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2010, 9:44 pm

twisted-transistor wrote:
the no make-up and baggy clothes seem to be a common trait in our kind. perhaps we should start a new fashion trend?

I like that idea. :)

I was loathed in grade school. Things began to "even out" a bit in middle school, and by high school I was mostly ignored, except for a few friends/acquaintances (mostly male, but a few female).

Right now, I can't really say I have any female friends. Acquaintances from work/school, yes, and we get along fine, but I doubt we'd socialize much outside of those environments. I'm closest to my bf and his twin brother (who's kind of like my brother too) and some of their male friends.

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17