It's said most girls with AS don't do girly things? Your op?

Page 2 of 10 [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next

Do you where make up?
Yes, Everyday. (More than 4 products) 9%  9%  [ 31 ]
No, Never. 36%  36%  [ 120 ]
Only on important days/outings. (More than 4 products) 24%  24%  [ 80 ]
I do but only 1-3 products. 30%  30%  [ 98 ]
Total votes : 329

wefunction
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2011, 10:56 am

Ever since I discovered the power of redefinition, I have never gone back.

Being girlie includes anything that a girl does that she enjoys. This includes make-up, clothes, dolls, sports, camping, bugs, education, etc etc etc...

I know the gender stereotypes so I'm not just being difficult for the sake of being difficult. I liked "girlie stuff" but was also very rough & tumble. I played baseball and basketball. I was called a "tomboy", despite also being in gymnastics and the baton squad. My daughter is into "girlie stuff" but she's fearless and plays soccer better than her male peers. I refuse to call her a tomboy. To me, THIS is what a girlie girl is. She's strong, fearless and does whatever the hell she wants to.

To this day, I enjoy dolling myself up to look pretty and having clothes that make actual outfits that looks nice on me. I like acting sexy and flirty. But I also enjoy stumbling through the wilderness for miles following my GPS looking for an ammo can with a notebook in it, playing Geocaching. The more thorn scratches and bug bites, the better! :wink:

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2011, 5:12 pm

I wear lots of silly costumes...stage makeup...and even though I lost a lot of weight, I still like the feel of compression undergarments

sandyt
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Jan 2011, 3:25 am

Sometimes I put on makeup and curl my hair on Friday/Saturday nights when I am alone and bored because I am interested in what I would look like if I tried. Most of the time I don't even brush my hair let alone wear makeup.

I don't wear makeup out because I do not like being looked at (they didn't ask me first). The other day with greasy hair tied back in a ugly bun and in pajamas I still managed to get hit on by a baseball player from my university (he was selling books/magazines for a fundraiser for the team). I always get creeps who are obsessed with the fact that I can go outside without makeup and think that I am "the one" for them.

Right now my arm pits haven't been tamed for months let alone my legs or toenails. Anyone who tries to come at me with nail polish and a file is asking for a death wish.

So occasionally I may be interested in girlie things (I am building a collection of little classic black dresses) but not in public. I used to wear huge t-shirts/sweaters and overalls but in an effort to get my sisters to stop bothering me I have compromised my clothing choice over time. One size too big makes clothing bearable.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2011, 3:52 am

I'll wear a long skirt maybe 4 times a year or so; I don't do short skirts.
I absolutely refuse high heels; I don't believe in torturing myself to 'look good.'
I'll wear makeup occasionally - on important occasions, I might put on some 'lip stain,' which doesn't need to be reapplied, and some mascara. Nothing else.

I started getting more open to 'girly things' when I started aikido ~10 years ago and had the example of women who were kick-ass instructors but also sometimes wore skirts and dresses; prior to that I had equated overt femininity with deliberate helplessness.

Confucius11
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Jan 2011, 7:42 pm

I definitely don't dress up unless someone's like "This is a special occasion". My father often comments on my lack of makeup and formal office wear. I'm just out to be comfortable sans makeup and such. :)

slovaksiren
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2011, 12:30 pm

Part of it comes from the fact that an overwhelming majority of my cousins are male so I picked up a lot of habits... I can have my girly side to me too such as... I like to cook and knit, but I also like things like video games and science and whatnot and also reptiles and playing Power Rangers with the neighborhood kids... I was the yellow one of course... never pink... Infact, I want to go into analytical chemistry or chemical engineering in college which... yeah... both of them male-dominated

I also hate make-up

Erisad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2011, 1:52 pm

Yup, my minimum is eyeliner, mascara and lip gloss. I can put on foundation and blush if I really wanna doll up but I usually don't. :P

kahlua
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Jan 2011, 6:32 am

I wear a bit of make up to try and blend in, but i don't really feel confident with putting it on, and I feel fake.

I try to follow fashion a bit ti fit in, but Again not confident with it. Always feel like ive got it wrong, and other girls are laughing behind my back.

The only try of shopping I like is buying horse riding gear/ clothes. But that's my obsession - horses.

vileseagulls
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Jan 2011, 3:31 am

I just started wearing makeup daily and wearing dresses (first time in my life, excluding school uniform). I went into a makeup boutique and asked for a lesson - it took about 45 minutes and I wrote down all the instructions and have just been replicating what I was told. It works wonders!

lucyfm
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Jan 2011, 11:00 am

I don't really wear girly things, and I wear very little makeup, but I think that has more to do with a serious lack of self confidence than being an Aspie.

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2011, 11:02 am

Well, my sister is an aspie and she follows fashion. She likes clothes shopping and all that stuff. She does shave her legs. But that's where it ends. She's more unique than girly.

But then, the only boyish thing I do is read manga. And play video games. However that's where it ends, and I'm more unique than boyish. So it runs in the family and may not be a true example of ungirly female aspies.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2011, 2:41 pm

I don't do girly things at all. I have an unusual way of doing things, and I'm anything but girly. I'd sooner appear the way that Mick Avory dressed in the Mid 60s, than make myself look like a Bratz doll. Early 1964 in particular.

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2011, 3:17 pm

I tried being a "girly girl" but gave up on it 2 months ago. It's so much easier to just throw on jeans and a t-shirt in the morning and not wear makeup. Plus, I have better things to do than fashion.

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2011, 3:20 pm

I was often mistaken for a boy when I was a child.

I never wear make up. I have moral objections to it.

LateToThis
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Jan 2011, 3:44 pm

I do enjoy a few girlie things like nicely scented products like candles, lotions,cooking, sewing and knitting and "doing lunch"with a couple of friends. But I don't wear makeup, don't like fashion, nor shopping, nor gossiping, did n't play with dolls or house when younger, so I guess its a mix.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2011, 5:09 pm

Yes, knitting! Homemade socks are fabulous. Although I think guys are starting to knit a little bit, too...