Question about detecting women on the spectrum

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

04 Sep 2011, 2:13 pm

Ai_Ling wrote:
Semi-predatory? How? Where they manipulating your naivety? I was wondering because recently fell to this "mother hen" type of person, who was treating me as her charity case and making herself look good by helping me. I unfriended her once I figured out what she was doing. Would I say she was slightly predatory, no.

I have attracted friends like these. Once I caught on what they were about, I ended the relationship. One woman kept sending me begging emails wanting to know what she had done wrong. IMO she had ignored the boundaries that I had set many times even though I had kept reminding her. Also she kept acting like she was my social worker or something. :roll:

Ai_Ling wrote:
That must be tough. I kinda wish I had that ability but Im working at the supermarket right now which is teaching me how to create an acquaintance mask. Im good at having deep subject based conversations with people but I have trouble interacting with multiple people in glimpses of superficial small talk.

I find it hard to interact with more person, too. It is like juggling with eggs! Sooner or later I will drop one... :?

peaceloveerin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Sep 2011, 8:14 pm

AS is harder to diagnose in women because the traits in girls are very different from boys.

Here's a list of female Asperger traits:
http://www.help4aspergers.com/pb/wp_a58 ... d4f6a.html

blueper
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Sep 2011, 10:20 pm

I have only just recently realized that I am on the AS spectrum. I am fine socially (but a total chameleon) and a good communicator (for a while, if I am in the mood). But everything else is way over on the AS side.
I think I went so long without getting caught because of a kindly 4th grade teacher. I was going down hill then, all the kids hated me, I couldn't understand what I was doing wrong, my family was mad at me, and I was generally miserable. The teacher took me aside and told me tricks to pass as a normal girl, and to get along. I was to hide my intelligence and vocabulary, use cleverness to act like whoever I was with, not talk about myself or anything that interested me, clean up my hygiene, read magazines and watch TV so I would clue in to the regular world. I followed her advice, and things got better. I even had fun fooling people. Eventually I fooled even myself, except I always felt phony.
Finally, as I got older, I started owning more of my original self, and got happier. I didn't have any close friends when I was younger, and except for my husband and children, I don't really have any now, either, but there are some people I like. Knowing that there are others like me has made me feel much better, though. Thanks.