Yes 35%  35%  [ 19 ]
No 39%  39%  [ 21 ]
I'm a guy. Just show me the results, E2LA! 26%  26%  [ 14 ]
Total votes : 54

Berrylicious
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Apr 2014, 10:19 am

You mean I'm glad I'm female? Yes but sometimes being a woman is hard because there's so much misogyny in this world. It's hard to be true to yourself when you live in an environment filled with prejudices and discrimination, especially if you're different from the rest of the population. We can fight back and cope with it. I can't say I'm proud to be a woman, though I should be happy for who I am and must cope with the stress of being targeted because of my gender. From society attempting to shut down women's rights to double standards to oppressive beauty standards to devaluation of the contribution that women take part in, that's pretty hard, it will be a long way for these things to fall apart.

You shouldn't feel ashamed of who you are just because society tells you that. Instead of subscribing to the belief that you as a female are inferior to the male, you should speak up. You can challenge many oppressive acts that dehumanize you: being devalued because you are female, being treated as a sex object, being judged on your physical appearance (either plain or attractive), being pressured to live up to beauty standards that hurt your well being, suppressing your sexuality while praising male sexuality, devaluing your intellectual capacity or any credentials you have, being criticized for not complying to gender norms that are expected of you, being attacked based on your lifestyle and last but not least being paid less than what a man earns.

We can learn to challenge oppression and internalized oppression. It might be hard to get by but we can fight back and stand up. We can resist the status quo as well. Do not be afraid to challenge gender norms. Resist the temptation of feeling inferior, as it is not your fault for feeling that way. In the end you won't have to worry about being judged, as long as you can deal with the barriers in life.

droppy
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Apr 2014, 4:28 pm

I'm not because I see no point in being proud of something I didn't choose.
And I also have an extreme-male brain according to brain scans.
I am born of the wrong gender.
Or with a wrong brain.
I'd rather think I'm born of the wrong gender.

Atom1966
Toucan
Toucan

15 Apr 2014, 9:56 pm

Being female is just a fact that I don't have a problem with. I don't understand why I should feel proud of it. It's not a personal accomplishment or anything.

GivePeaceAChance
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2014, 10:34 pm

I am female simply put, might as well be proud of my eye or skin color

I am proud of my accomplishments

DoubleCatrin
Toucan
Toucan

16 Apr 2014, 2:57 am

Berrylicious wrote:
You mean I'm glad I'm female? Yes but sometimes being a woman is hard because there's so much misogyny in this world. It's hard to be true to yourself when you live in an environment filled with prejudices and discrimination, especially if you're different from the rest of the population. We can fight back and cope with it. I can't say I'm proud to be a woman, though I should be happy for who I am and must cope with the stress of being targeted because of my gender. From society attempting to shut down women's rights to double standards to oppressive beauty standards to devaluation of the contribution that women take part in, that's pretty hard, it will be a long way for these things to fall apart.

You shouldn't feel ashamed of who you are just because society tells you that. Instead of subscribing to the belief that you as a female are inferior to the male, you should speak up. You can challenge many oppressive acts that dehumanize you: being devalued because you are female, being treated as a sex object, being judged on your physical appearance (either plain or attractive), being pressured to live up to beauty standards that hurt your well being, suppressing your sexuality while praising male sexuality, devaluing your intellectual capacity or any credentials you have, being criticized for not complying to gender norms that are expected of you, being attacked based on your lifestyle and last but not least being paid less than what a man earns.

We can learn to challenge oppression and internalized oppression. It might be hard to get by but we can fight back and stand up. We can resist the status quo as well. Do not be afraid to challenge gender norms. Resist the temptation of feeling inferior, as it is not your fault for feeling that way. In the end you won't have to worry about being judged, as long as you can deal with the barriers in life.
awesomely said and put dear

imaginary? bartender at
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=262032&start=285

Geist
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Apr 2014, 9:56 am

All I can say is I didn't get a choice.

Cafeaulait
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2014, 10:00 am

Proud of something I had no f*****g control over?

No. Ridiculous idea.