Page 2 of 24 [ 372 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24  Next

Nights_Like_These
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2014, 5:13 pm

tarantella64 wrote:
blockhead90 wrote:
If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

And I assume you would like the the same attitude taken towards people with AS generally in society?

^^ and also that

starvingartist
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2014, 5:17 pm

tarantella64 wrote:
I've emailed Alex about this problem, by the way, and received no reply.

i didn't think i was the first one to think of this--but i thought a concerted effort (even something like a petition), if we can get enough people together to participate, might make the difference. it's certainly worth a try.

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2014, 5:18 pm

Quote:
First of all, sexism is not the same as racism, certainly not in the parallel you are attempting. Saying "all black people are this" and "all Jews are that" are projections that reflect a desire to get rid of the offending group on some level. Nobody wants to get rid of women, so its a dubious comparison, at best.

How do you figure that in all cases it reflects a desire to get rid of the offending group on some level in all iterations?

Quote:
Second of all, what you are advocating, whether you realize it or not, is to make it against site rules to criticize women. Women are generally already above legit criticism on this forum as it is; making it against site policy is too stupid for words. This is why people engage in illegitimate criticism that often makes no sense and is more infuriating than fair criticism, because anyone who gives real criticism is usually ignored, mainly because this is the Internet and intelligence does not stand out. Or they are ridiculed and called weak, which brings me to point number three.

I question ideas and thoughts brought fourth by women all the time on here. I question OliveOilMom a lot on her beliefs. I criticize all the time. She has never once called me a sexist. No woman on here has called me a sexist or has tried to sensor me when I questioned them. They attempted to give me well thought out answers. Either they change their mind or I see an error in my reasoning and I change my mind. I criticize and question them all the time on many different topics. Even StarvingArtist has confirmed with me that she has not find me offensive in the slightest. What are you talking about? How do you derive the idea that one can't criticize a woman at all?

I've had heated debates with Tarantella as well and questioned her on things as well. I've become angry with her and I've apologized to her. Again, I've never been accused of being a sexist by her. In the end, everything is cool. OOM is cool person and so is Tarantella. I've never had these issues with any woman and criticizing them. So, what are you talking about?

Quote:
There is not anti-female bias on this site as much as anti-weak male bias, which inevitably leads to the kind of sexism that you describe. Any guy who is weak or whiny is wrong wrong wrong, and we don't want to encourage that. But this is the Internet, and it gets attention because we hate it so much. Making "sexism" against site policy, which is subject to interpretation of course, is putting an even bigger emphasis on the anti-weak male bias that already exists, which will make the sexism worse, not better.

Personally, I just think all of this is a cultural problem and to me these things are symptoms of the true problem which is the American culture itself. Nice guy syndrome is just a form of hustling and we live in a hustling based society in which everything is commodified including human relationships. We all have worth as people and instead of this our culture sees people as commodified resources instead of loving them and valuing them as people.

If we're to remove all of these isms from society then we need to question the ideas through many contexts.

Quote:
So nice idea starving artist, but it will make things worse more than likely. Maybe something else might achieve your goal a little better, but this isn't it. Not even a little.

Anyone can correct me if I'm want. All she wants and what the women want on here are to be seen as having intrinsic value and having intrinsic worth instead of being treated as commodities that can be bought and sold. This is the problem with nice guy syndrome.

Let's look at it this way. Do you want society to see you as having value and worth as a human being instead of a worthless commodity that can discarded and trashed. If yes, shouldn't we be consistent with our beliefs?

Last edited by cubedemon6073 on 22 May 2014, 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2014, 5:21 pm

tarantella64 wrote:
blockhead90 wrote:

And I assume you would like the the same attitude taken towards people with AS generally in society?

Wow, you beat me to the punch!

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2014, 5:21 pm

tarantella64 wrote:
I've emailed Alex about this problem, by the way, and received no reply.

He may be busy doing other things.

billiscool
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2014, 5:25 pm

here the difference when ''weak males''complain
about women.Women actual hates them guy

when women complain about sexist men
online,them same women are actual loved
by men(in romantic,friendship way)irl.

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2014, 5:26 pm

blockhead90 wrote:
If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen. And I'm sorry if you consider all the possible interpretations of what that could mean and decide that it's some kind of sexist comment, but it's not and it's not my problem if you go looking for problems. If you can't handle an environment where people state their opinions you should stop exposing yourself to other peoples opinions.

Wow due, what a way to be dismissive. Isn't this what NTs do with us Autistics when we raise valid complaints yet when the women autistics on here raise valid complaints they're dismissed just like we all are from NTs.

We're supposed to be logical right? You're lack of logic and dismissal of another groups' feelings while you complain about another group doing the same thing truthfully astounds me. Wow!

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2014, 5:37 pm

billiscool wrote:
here the difference when ''weak males''complain
about women.Women actual hates them guy

when women complain about sexist men
online,them same women are actual loved
by men(in romantic,friendship way)irl.

Wrong! Wrong! Wrong! Women hate guys tries to commodity sex and niceness meaning being nice to a woman and expecting an exchange of sex. This is a form of manipulation, phoniness and fakeness and this is another thing I see wrong with American hustling based society. People who put on this phony and contrived act to pretend something for some ulterior agenda.

Nights_Like_These
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2014, 5:43 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the purpose of this thread was to get others together who would be interested in contacting Alex as a group to address the issue of sexism. If you've come here just to express your displeasure at others trying to do this then perhaps you should start your own thread and complain about it there. I'm sure you don't like it when a thread you've created gets derailed...

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2014, 5:49 pm

Starvingartist, I'm in agreement with you. In particular the Love & Dating forum is like the seven circles of hell for a woman to read or dip a toe into.

I strongly disagree with Alex's "let them look sexist" angle, while all other forms of attack are quickly dealt with. Vicious, bitter sexism is no different to racism and other forms of bigotry. Yet it's "allowed". That's pretty retro, and I mean bad retro.

I don't think Alex is going to give a crap though, to be realistic.

starvingartist
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2014, 5:54 pm

BirdInFlight wrote:
Starvingartist, I'm in agreement with you. In particular the Love & Dating forum is like the seven circles of hell for a woman to read or dip a toe into.

I strongly disagree with Alex's "let them look sexist" angle, while all other forms of attack are quickly dealt with. Vicious, bitter sexism is no different to racism and other forms of bigotry. Yet it's "allowed". That's pretty retro, and I mean bad retro.

well that is thinking a bit ahead of ourselves--but if that does happen to be the case when we present him with whatever we come up with, we can then take it outside the site, go to the media with it and bring some outside attention to bear on the issue. perhaps that will make him deem it worth his attention, if directly contacting him first fails. it's definitely bad retro, and he needs to be made aware of that and do something about it.

tarantella64
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2014, 5:59 pm

starvingartist wrote:
BirdInFlight wrote:

well that is thinking a bit ahead of ourselves--but if that does happen to be the case when we present him with whatever we come up with, we can then take it outside the site, go to the media with it and bring some outside attention to bear on the issue. perhaps that will make him deem it worth his attention, if directly contacting him first fails. it's definitely bad retro, and he needs to be made aware of that and do something about it.

Sure. Swing it by Jezebel, I bet they'd do good coverage.

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2014, 6:05 pm

I have had no problems questioning women on issues and criticizing certain points they had but none have ever complained about my disrespect towards them. Why is this? I have questioned Hale_Bopp on points she has had as well. Has she ever complained about any disrespect I have shown towards her? No she hasn't.

Could you guys on here entertain the possibility that you're metaphorically stepping into quicksand and are knee deep in it?

blockhead90
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 May 2014, 6:38 pm

starvingartist wrote:
blockhead90 wrote:
If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen. And I'm sorry if you consider all the possible interpretations of what that could mean and decide that it's some kind of sexist comment, but it's not and it's not my problem if you go looking for problems. If you can't handle an environment where people state their opinions you should stop exposing yourself to other peoples opinions.

if your "opinions" are full of unreasoning hate against 51% of the human population, you can expect members of that 51% to tell you where to stick your opinion.

You're welcome to tell me where to stick my opinion but im going to give it regardless.

blockhead90
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 May 2014, 6:41 pm

tarantella64 wrote:
blockhead90 wrote:

It's the way it is.

starvingartist
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2014, 6:42 pm

blockhead90 wrote:
starvingartist wrote:
blockhead90 wrote:

if your "opinions" are full of unreasoning hate against 51% of the human population, you can expect members of that 51% to tell you where to stick your opinion.

You're welcome to tell me where to stick my opinion but im going to give it regardless.

then you should be willing to accept the consequences of expressing your opinion if it is full of hate and misinformation--as in, post too many racist/sexist/classist/whatever-ist "opinions" and get yourself booted off the site. no one has the right to spew hatred at people, that's not covered under free speech for a reason.

Last edited by starvingartist on 22 May 2014, 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.