Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2014, 1:37 pm

:wink:

SparklyJacket
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Aug 2014, 2:35 am

I was never able to wear tampons and for years I wondered what the hell was wrong with me but a few years after I started my periods I had a colonoscopy which they couldn't finish due to hypersensitivity, They put it down to being connected to the Crohn's Disease that I had but I'm just generally hypersensitive anyway. When I was diagnosed with AS last year, it almost seemed to be the missing piece of the puzzle.

Girlwithaspergers
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2014, 12:15 pm

I finally tried the tampons. I had a little trouble figuring it out at first but they work wayyy better than pads and not as smelly :D

QuiversWhiskers
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2014, 2:48 pm

Good for you. Glad you are successful with them. :D

Catmint
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Oct 2014, 6:43 pm

In May 2013, at the age of 28, I finally took the plunge and tried using tampons for the first time. When I was between 10 and 12, when pretty much all the "personal" etc education is given, the info leaflets and teachers went on and on about the risk of Toxic Shock Syndrome to the point where I was absolutely terrified of TSS and did *not* want to even try tampons.

TAMPONS ARE AMAZING!! ! I feel *so* much cleaner than when I was using pads. What pushed me into that decision was that as a wheelchair user, pads can be rather uncomfortable and it got to the point where it was making the relevant area rather sore and chafed (to the point where I had to use thrush cream to ease the discomfort and chafing). I have NEVER EVER looked back. Tampons win over pads, every time!

AQ: 41
RAADS-R: 188

Owned by Skitty Kitty and Tabby Terror (aka Mary and Joseph).

Nonperson
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2014, 2:00 pm

I don't care for tampons, any size, they feel dry and scratchy and I'm paranoid about TSS. I use instead cups, which are awesome, but do take some practice to learn to put in/take out correctly so they won't leak.

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2014, 6:42 am

hurtloam wrote:
QuiversWhiskers wrote:
, not to mention that tampons are not sanitary really.

Well, that's the first time I've heard that statement. Citation needed. There is nothing unsanitary about tampons.

I haven't heard they're unsanitary but I've heard that they can cause chronic vaginal dryness.

Of course you're not going to use a tampon that's been banging around your bathroom drawer for months (that's true of sticking anything unclean in there). Use the fresh ones straight out of the box and you'll be fine.