Page 2 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

adoylelb90815
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Nov 2015, 9:10 pm

I'm an aspie who is also child free. The main reason for that is that I've had so much trouble with job interviews that my employment history has been relatively crappy. I'm the type of person who doesn't want to have children that I couldn't support on my own, as I was actually able to get on SSI because of my Asperger's.

As for now, I'm much happier being an aunt, since at the end of the day, my niece goes home with my brother and SIL.

Pileo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2015, 9:39 pm

I decided to be child-free years ago and despite people saying I will change my mind, I still haven't. I have several smaller siblings, so I understand the the amount of work that is required to raise a child. I also don't trust my genetics. I'd much rather just focus on making a career for myself and accomplishing my dreams, like building a rocking gaming rig and traveling. Fortunately, due to me being trans and under hormonal treatment, I'm sterile.

Both of my parents are grandparents now, so it's not like I'm denying them the experience.

Lockheart
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Nov 2015, 4:01 am

I have no interest in having kids whatsoever. I only become more certain of that as I get older. There are several reasons. (1) Kids hit my sensory sensitivities like very few other things can. Babies screaming in supermarkets sound like an air-raid siren. Kids running amok are downright terrifying. (2) When I become overwhelmed, which is regularly, I have moments where I just want the world to go away. I'm worried that with a child I either wouldn't get enough recharge time and end up a depressed mess, or I'd push the child away at unpredictable moments, bewildering and possibly emotionally damaging him or her. I've experienced that from one of my own parents and there's no way in hell I want to do that to another child. (3) Dubious genetics. (4) There are too many humans on the planet already. (5) I just don't think I'd cope. Having a child is too serious a matter to have as many doubts as I do and still go ahead.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2015, 12:10 pm

I would like just one child. But one thing I have a very low tolerance for pain and I'm afraid of giving birth. And another thing is I won't know what to do when the child gets a vomiting bug. I'm hoping that my motherly instinct will overtake my Emetophobia.

Also I worry about what the child will turn out like. If it has Autism, it will be a handful because the world has to revolve around children with Autism; will have a meltdown if something is too bright or something is too noisy or something isn't laid out right, and the meltdowns are awfully loud and could last hours, right up until the child is feeling less overstimulated.

If it has Asperger's, it will most probably end up having anxiety and depression problems, due to loneliness and bullying at school, which will break my heart because no decent parent wants their child to be unhappy.

If it has ADHD it will either be so out-of-control with behaviour that it would tire me out myself, or might have anxiety with it, which causes an ADHD child to have more tantrums and behave inappropriately.

If it has other things like Mental Retardation, Down's Syndrome, or any other brain disorders then it also makes family life more work than it is for any family.

And if it was born with a physical condition or a disease then I would spend my whole time worrying about it's health, and some physical conditions can mean that the child won't live very long. It's very disheartening for the parents.

Most parents of NT children take everything for granted. My boyfriend does with his three children. Yes all children have their own problems and all parents worry about their children and NT children can bring stress and stuff can happen, etc, but I'd still prefer my child to be a typically developing child.

SK666
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Nov 2015, 9:20 pm

Lillikoi wrote:
Me. I know I might be young to say this, but I don't want kids.

I like kids. I would really like to have one. Especially one on the spectrum. :D

But the thing is, I get really hormonal. I have awful, awful PMS. It can get kind of scary sometimes. I know this might seem crazy, but I'm afraid that if I had kids, I might do something that would scare them. And I really don't wanna put somebody through that.

My own mom was quite harsh as a kid. She used to go on these big rampages whenever she got upset. And I tried to talk to her, but she wouldn't listen. She would just yell at me and say awful things. I used to go upstairs and hide in my sister's room. It was scary.

I know I wouldn't be that kind of person, but it still worries me.
It's not that I don't want children, I just don't wanna hurt someone unintentionally.
Is that irrational? :?

Have you ever researched "Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder"? I had the word's worst PMS my whole life that just got more and more soul-destroying, and after 20 years of trial and error and spending ~$50,000 in my quest for answers over an intensely-focussed 3 year period I'm relieved to say I finally found the cure: get the whole lot ripped out and go on oestrogen-only HRT patches. It saved my life.

F**k being a woman.

Sorry.

Undergoing the process of an in-depth differential diagnosis with a clinical psychologist, who has 35 yrs experience in ASDs. Using DSMV, ADOS-2 (Mod 4), ADI-R, peer-reviewed literature, empirical and anecdotal evidence. Now the focus of a case study.

[AQ: 38/50] [EQ: 17/80, SQ: 59/80] [AS: 145/200, NT: 95/200]
[MBTI: INTP] [IQ: 144, (SD: 24) (Matrix)]

SK666

26 Nov 2015, 9:33 pm

Lockheart wrote:
I have no interest in having kids whatsoever. I only become more certain of that as I get older. There are several reasons. (1) Kids hit my sensory sensitivities like very few other things can. Babies screaming in supermarkets sound like an air-raid siren. Kids running amok are downright terrifying. (2) When I become overwhelmed, which is regularly, I have moments where I just want the world to go away. I'm worried that with a child I either wouldn't get enough recharge time and end up a depressed mess, or I'd push the child away at unpredictable moments, bewildering and possibly emotionally damaging him or her. I've experienced that from one of my own parents and there's no way in hell I want to do that to another child. (3) Dubious genetics. (4) There are too many humans on the planet already. (5) I just don't think I'd cope. Having a child is too serious a matter to have as many doubts as I do and still go ahead.

Ha! This is my list - verbatim.

Actually no. I'd add (6) extreme aversion to pregnancy and childbirth, and (7) physical allergy to endogenous progestogens and estriol, leading to (8) I've already had a hysterectomy and oophorectomy for reasons 1-7.

Undergoing the process of an in-depth differential diagnosis with a clinical psychologist, who has 35 yrs experience in ASDs. Using DSMV, ADOS-2 (Mod 4), ADI-R, peer-reviewed literature, empirical and anecdotal evidence. Now the focus of a case study.

SK666

26 Nov 2015, 9:42 pm

wilburforce wrote:
I've never had any interest in babies, never babysat when I was a little girl, and to this day have no interest in having kids of my own. It just never appealed to me at all, and I was always confused when I would hear people talk about the natural drive to reproduce and how supposedly strong it is especially in women, because I have never felt that myself. I do have nurturing feelings, but only towards animals. I had a tonne of stuffed animals and hot wheels as a little girl, a giant container of legos, and some action figures--but no dolls. If someone tried to give me a doll as a gift I would destroy it because I thought they were stupid and felt they were being foisted on me because "girls are supposed to play with dolls."

Hahaaaa I always hated dolls when I was a kid. I buried the Raggedy Ann doll in the yard because I hated its stupid name and face, and when my grandmother sent me a Cabbage Patch doll I hacked its legs off with a steak knife. That thing had the ugliest looking head that haunted me. It just reminded me so much of a stupid baby.

I have a painful amount of "empathy" toward animals - especially baby animals OMG - but human babies - ew. Gross.

I used to collect lizards, stuffed animals, cards, bottle caps, play puzzles, board games, nintendo games, and nerdy things like microscopes and books. But dolls - seriously??? WTF.

Legos are cool.

SK666

26 Nov 2015, 9:47 pm

danitargaryen wrote:
Who has decided not to reproduce or adopt ever?

I don't want babies or children of my own, not now, not ever.

Lots of women choose this, just curious if it is common for women on the spectrum to not feel that need to be a mother.

If you are one of those people who will tell me I will change my mind, or am selfish or whatever else, save your breath because I will ignore you.

This topic is really close to my heart and is a special interest of mine (can you tell? I'm only new and 4/6 of my only posts are in this thread, back to back haha). I have seen polls elsewhere on this site - I would love to set one up on this topic. I really like stats and polls, and I have a lot of AS questions that I'm burning to put out there as polls. If I can pluck up the drive to participate then I'll get onto it. Watch this space.

MamaFrankie5259
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2016, 2:08 pm

I decided at the age of 8 that I never wanted babies. I'm much older now and have never wavered.

I have an extremely low pain tolerance.
I am asexual.
I love my freedom too much.
I actually detest (not just dislike) children.

AnaHitori
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2016, 2:29 pm

I want to adopt. I'm terrified of pregnancy, but I like kids. They're fun. ^^

I hate it how some people say that women have to reproduce, as a responsibility. That's not a responsibility! It's a personal choice! Ugh.

MamaFrankie5259
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2016, 2:31 pm

Annoys me too, Ana. They think that just because you have reproductive mechanism, you must use it.

And I agree on it being choice rather than responsibility. Nobody is obliged to do anything they don't wish to.

AnaHitori
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2016, 2:34 pm

MamaFrankie5259 wrote:
Annoys me too, Ana. They think that just because you have reproductive mechanism, you must use it.

And I agree on it being choice rather than responsibility. Nobody is obliged to do anything they don't wish to.

Exactly! My mom seems to think it's a responsibility of mine, which I find really annoying. She's said before that it makes her feel sad that I "will never get to experience the beauty of childbirth". Lol, not interested.

MidnightLupin
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

28 May 2016, 12:55 am

I'm definitely a good deal younger than most if not all of you (not sure if my age shows up or not) and shouldn't really be thinking much about this just yet since I'm only in college, but I'm not sure how much I really would want children. Pregnancy and childbirth makes me worried. If it did happen, the kids would probably also be autistic and I really have a hard time relating to most people like that so I could see it being a nightmare overall.

lidsmichelle
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2016, 3:49 am

Me! Honestly I can never remember wanting children. I don't like being around them. They're overwhelming. It's so bizarre to me that people tell me I'll change my mind, because 1) I'm not ever inconsistent with what I want and don't want, 2) it's rude, and 3) why would you WANT me to reproduce? I'm not mother material at all.

It's all just very baffling to me.

Herein You Will Find Various And Numerous And Innumerable Hexes, Curses, Words In The Old Tongue To Cleave A’Twain Friend, Foe, Family Alike. If You So Choose. Money Hates Me, God Hates Me, My Wife Hates Me, My Own Hands Hate Me. But Thats All Beside The Point. The Point Is That My Time Here On Earth Runs Short. Im Not Dying But You All Are. Im A Glass Of Wine. Nothing Beats A Glass Of Wine. When The Kids Arent Home And Your A Mother Theres A Glass Of Wine There. A Glass Coffee Table And I’m A Glass Of Wine. Stressful Day When The Kids And you're Husband Then Glass Of Wine. Dark Chocolate Indulge. Petty Indulgences. When you're A Glass Of Wine And Let The Body’s Hit The Floor. When Your Glass Of Wine Is Running Short And You Say Heck What Of It. Why Dont I Have Another. Bartender I Am A Glass Of Wine. Bottoms Up And The Devil Laughs. The Bartender Remembers When It Happened. They All Remember When It Happened And If They Knew That You Dont Remember Then They Would Know That Something Is Awry Here Or So They Would Think. Something Would Be Amiss Or Smells Fishy. So Theyre All Relating There Stories Of Where They Were When That Event Happened And The Eyes Move Clockwise About The Room Where We All Share Our Glass Of Wine And Suddenly The Clock Ticks To You And They Ask The Fatal Question That Destroys Your Reputation, The Question You Could Never Answer, The Dead Giveaway: Where Were You When The Bodies Hit The Floor

MamaFrankie5259
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2016, 5:44 am

Well said, Michelle. I only wish there was a 'like' or 'upvote' facility for me to approve your great post.

'You'll change your mind' forsooth! How do others know? They're not you. This presumptuous attitude angers me.

LittleLu
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 May 2016, 8:29 am

I'd never wanted kids. Never wanted to be pregnant. Never never never. XD

But ironically I do have a kid. She's just not blood related to me. Her father (who constantly claimed to be an aspie--don't know whether he was or not), showed signs of psychopathy. And so my wife, who was the one who had the child with him, left him for good and cut off all connections after finding out she was pregnant with his kid. I was her best friend by that time with some romantic feelings for her, and so I stepped in as surrogate parent holding up the dad's end of raising her child since her father was not allowed to see her. I became Mommy No. 2. And I later on married the child's mom and officially became her second mother.

I'm not against raising kids now. I love kids. I used to hold a couple different jobs in daycare and nurseries tending to babies and toddlers before my daughter was born, but the idea of myself being pregnant is off-putting and anxiety-inducing. I might get some flack for this, but it seems... alien to me. I'm not sure how else to put it. It's weird and creepy in my eyes. XD I suppose I've always had the thought that this is my body and it's not for use of others, no matter who that person is, whether it's to grow a child or something similar. It's not even for material reasons, such as not wanting to look pregnant or get stretch marks. I just don't want a lifeform growing inside me.

My wife and I do want more kids. One or two more, anyway, but if we do, she'll be doing the baby-carrying, and I'll be doing the role of outside support. ^-^