Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Zincubus
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2008, 4:58 pm

Aren't cramps caused by low sodium levels , sometimes ?

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2008, 7:14 am

Zincubus wrote:
Aren't cramps caused by low sodium levels , sometimes ?

Sodium can aid hydration...However this may be an ambiguity over the word cramp. Cramp often refers to muscular cramp. Meaning muscles cramp up ball/contract. Usually referring to the large 'typical' fibrous muscle like material. Sodium like other things, such as potassium, is a conductor. So you need it for you muscles/heart/brain to work. Abdominal pain/cramps can be a different thing. There can be contractions or taughtness but is often as response to shock and pain. Menstrual cramps is pain in the lining of the womb or menses. Often it is caused by swelling tissue damage due to fluid being retained. That could be sepic or not. Adequate hydration can help prevent normal fuild retention. Septic shock may need further treatment. I read someone that some women have a response to semen because prostaglandins can cause the uterus to contract. So maybe to try not having sex just before your period or use a condom. Also the uterus expands and contracts sympathetically to accommodate the bowels so one can have an impact on the other.

There is condition called Endometriosis which mean the type of tissue that is used for the lining of the uterus can occur else ware in the body. Menstruation can still occur causing pain and internal bleeding.

Don't ask me why I read all this stuff, but I read a lot of science related stuff and obstetrics/ gynecology is quite fascinating.

GetDownOnIt
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Feb 2008, 3:28 pm

A hot bath or a water bottle and a cup of tea.
Plenty of exercise.
And a nice big orgasm. :P

abram
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Feb 2008, 11:19 am

i get them so bad that if i haven't taken my mix of medicine on time, wich is the very moment the period starts and keep takin after every 3-8 hours for 2-3 days then i might need an ambulance.

but the mix is really simple: 2 pills of 200mg ibuprofen and 2-3 pills of no-spa. the first for the pain, second for the cramps.

and neither of these needs a prescription.

abram
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Feb 2008, 11:21 am

heat for me doesen't help.

Purplefluffychainsaw
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Feb 2008, 12:13 pm

Heat doesn't always work for me either, but it works better than most things (I don't take painkillers any more). It helps enough to let me get to sleep anyway. Along with large amounts of chocolate. >>

I used to get awful cramps, but now I'm on the Pill it's been more or less okay. Heat, sleep, and small amounts of food often helped me as much as anything could.

Anubis
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2008, 4:10 am

O_O

*is scarred for life*

j/k

Selo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Feb 2008, 8:35 pm

I find that when I do have bad cramps, smearing some icy-hot cream right around your hip bones and lower torso really helps, especially when going to sleep. That's the only thing I've ever found that really works well... plus a good hot bath or some sweet food can do it too.