Page 14 of 17 [ 272 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

peaceloveerin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Aug 2011, 1:02 am

sagan wrote:
This is creepy. Too accurate, not one think I was like, ehhhh.

If she likes a male, she can be extremely, noticeably awkward. Doesn't understand societal gender roles. Laughed so much. Too true.

This will change with maturity. =) (I hope, when will I learn...)

What exactly do they mean by societal gender roles? Does it mean AS girls like gender roles that are masculine :?

sagan
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2011, 1:32 am

peaceloveerin wrote:
sagan wrote:

If she likes a male, she can be extremely, noticeably awkward. Doesn't understand societal gender roles. Laughed so much. Too true.

What exactly do they mean by societal gender roles? Does it mean AS girls like gender roles that are masculine :?

"If she likes a male, she can be extremely, noticeably awkward in her attempts to let him know, e.g. she may stare when she sees him or call him repeatedly. This is because she fixates and doesn't understand societal gender roles."

I think this means, that in society in general, guys always go after the girls. Guy really love the chase, and girls love playing hard to get. If an NT girl likes a guy, they have all these weird things they do, subliminal flirting, picking up and sending discrete social / facial cues. AS girls don't always get this (I don't), so their cues aren't as smooth, and come of as awkward or forward, acting kind of more like guys are supposed to. So we are kind of masculine in that way?

I'm not really sure. Anyways, I think these societal gender roles are dumb, too old fashioned.

peaceloveerin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Aug 2011, 1:34 am

sagan wrote:
peaceloveerin wrote:
sagan wrote:

"If she likes a male, she can be extremely, noticeably awkward in her attempts to let him know, e.g. she may stare when she sees him or call him repeatedly. This is because she fixates and doesn't understand societal gender roles."

I think this means, that in society in general, guys always go after the girls. Guy really love the chase, and girls love playing hard to get. If an NT girl likes a guy, they have all these weird things they do, subliminal flirting, picking up and sending discrete social / facial cues. AS girls don't always get this (I don't), so their cues aren't as smooth, and come of as awkward or forward, acting kind of more like guys are supposed to. So we are kind of masculine in that way?

I'm not really sure. Anyways, I think these societal gender roles are dumb, too old fashioned.

I wonder if its also common for Aspergirls to be feminists?

Chibs
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Aug 2011, 6:41 pm

Most of this was pretty accurate for me, and described me better than what I had read otherwise about Aspergers.

However, this part: "Doesn't understand societal gender roles" It's not that I "don't understand them", it's just that I don't give a damn about them. :D I act like I want without thinking about if it's something that's "appropiate" for my gender or not.

Stargazer2893
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Aug 2011, 4:47 pm

Most of these describe me, but I've always attributed this to my simply being an introvert. How do you differentiate an Aspie from an introvert? (I didn't read the entire thread :oops: , so I don't know if it was already brought up)

eta: found a few threads on the topic.

KathySilverstein
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Sep 2011, 2:06 am

Never really gave much thought to the difference in symptoms in AS between men an women, but this chart lists specific symptoms of women with AS. I find a large part of it to be pretty accurate, but of course I think a lot would apply to both males and females. I found the emotional/physical column to be the most accurate for me. It's no wonder that less girls are diagnosed than guys, in that a lot of time we seem to be a little more social, a little more emotional, than most AS guys, an that's often seen as a deal breaker for having AS. (Not all AS women, mind you. But definitely a large subset. I wish I knew more of them so I could comment on this more accurately.) Chart was well done.

twich
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Sep 2011, 4:15 pm

Thank you SO much for this link, I just went out and bought the book. I think it will help a lot of skeptics see that my diagnosis is accurate, because it`s me in print.

jenniferjupiter
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Oct 2011, 10:58 am

I am as-yet undiagnosed, but 90% of these things resonate with me.

I need to print this out to show my therapist and be like "LOOK!! Everything I try to convey to you is right here!! !" (She has all but dismissed my attempts to discuss Asperger's as the source of my life struggles).

tentoedsloth
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Oct 2011, 1:09 pm

I'm new here... recently I was wondering if my father has Asperger's syndrome, and I've always thought one of my sons does (he works for Microsoft, and I've never known him to have a real friend, or want one, although he's a very decent person)... thinking about this, I wanted so much to have a label for myself, rather than just continuing to think "I must just be a cr@ppy person" but I don't fit a lot of the Asperger's symptoms. I've been hunting all over the internet for a name for myself. Borderline, narcissistic, and all those don't fit well either, but this chart does, incredibly well. I am so happy to find that label, and people like myself, and I hope other confused, sad women can find this too.

I wear my hair the simplest way I can find that's not bald or too long to keep untangled... I had some friends back in school but as an adult, just a few pleasant acquaintances I'm rarely in contact with... I have bouts of IBS... I was always called shy and sensitive... I change my mind WAY too much (moved 5 times in the last 4 years.) And "intelligent but slow to comprehend"--yes, yes, yes! I've wondered for a long time how someone who's supposed to be so smart has such a hard time learning simple skills that average or below IQ people do at work every day and do it well. And when I'm with people, I start to act like them, and then when I go home I wonder what the H got into me. So many of my oddities written down in one place! My jaw actually dropped, which I don't think has ever happened before. :D

I'm eager to learn more and maybe get to know some of my--although it's corny--sisters.

GreyGirl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2011, 7:28 pm

Thank you so much for posting the link. I believe I am closer to letting myself believe I am an aspie. The chart fits me so perfectly. I always wondered why "other girls" had so much trouble imagining working on a car engine in a prom dress. This also helped me understand why people look at me cock-eyed when I say I do plumbing, electrical, and drywall work in my house; as well as making girly jewelry and having a stunning shoe collection. :lol:

robsten1990

21 Oct 2011, 7:34 am

The "Appearence/Personal habits" fits me to a T. I´m not diagnosed but I´ve suspected for a time now that I have ASD or that I am mildly autistic. The other parts are also similar to me, but not everything.

Diagnosed with PDD-NOS at 22 years of age.

MissAwkward
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Oct 2011, 8:07 pm

Wow that is me 8O

Meow101
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2011, 8:22 pm

Chibs wrote:
Most of this was pretty accurate for me, and described me better than what I had read otherwise about Aspergers.

However, this part: "Doesn't understand societal gender roles" It's not that I "don't understand them", it's just that I don't give a damn about them. :D I act like I want without thinking about if it's something that's "appropiate" for my gender or not.

I agree. I *understand* societal gender roles, but I don't give a damn about them. I abhor being expected to be socially adept because I'm female. I hate being expected to be a certain way, period, because I'm female.

~Kate

Si tot mai multe cere.
--Mihai Eminescu

Hella
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Oct 2011, 11:15 am

I just want to triple or quadruple the vote to have this topic stickied, first of all.

Secondly, while I haven't read through all of the 15 pages of this post, yet, I've gotten through quite a few. It boggles my mind how many women this chart's points fit so well, in their own, unique ways. I am utterly amazed! I kept seeing posts that said, "This is exactly me!" Well, it was actually this list of symptoms that brought me over toward thinking I'm an Aspie.

I didn't know much about AS, before. But, after a conversation with my husband over how I have difficulty with gauging distance, speed, time, volume and so on, I decided I'd try and find information on it. I never had any idea that it could be related to Asperger's. So, I found this forum through my searching and somehow made my way to the chart image.

As I read it, I literally started hyperventilating and crying, saying, "Oh, my god" as my eyes moved to each thing new thing on the list. My husband was very concerned when he heard me panting and crying, came running in to see what was wrong and almost rolled his eyes at me when he saw what it was. I was only a few items in on the first column and, even though I wanted to read it myself first, I also wanted him to read it with me, to make sure I wasn't overreacting. So, he started at the top and read them aloud.

By the time we were done, he was almost as stunned as me. "It's like...someone took all my weirdness and put it into a picture," I said to him. My husband is incredibly skeptical of self-diagnosing online, especially not trusting forums or anything along those lines. So, when my husband came to the same conclusion, I knew I wasn't being irrational or hysterical.

That's when I started doing more and more research and took the tests. While I'm not officially diagnosed by a doctor (and not likely to be until we can afford insurance), we're both pretty positive that I'm an Aspie. I will, of course, seek out a doctor as soon as I'm able. But, honestly, this gives me hope that I'm not just a giant failure of a person and that, knowing what I'm dealing with, I'll be able to better cope with life and try to get on with it, maybe make something better of myself.

As for the bits on the lists that fit, but in their own way?

Androgynous Traits: I think I'm a strange mixture, here. I tend to be fairly androgynous in some respects, but I /want/ to be utterly feminine. I just can't seem to be feminine enough for my own liking, if that makes any sense? So, I really like girly-girl things...but, I /don't/ want to do them with anyone else, really. I love makeup, perfume, hair and jewelry, but I don't...use/do them, very often.

And, I guess that's it! :P

Thanks for this! :) It's good to know I'm not a psychologically damaged person just because I'm kinda childlike in a lot of ways.

EQ: 25
SQ: 59

Sowlowsolo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Oct 2011, 5:09 pm

I also came across this site a couple of weeks back. There are 45 traits listed - I relate strongly to at least 40 of them and a little to the other 5.

tropicalcows
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Oct 2011, 11:24 pm

Wow, there are only a couple of those traits that don't fit me. I feel like I just had my whole life explained in one table.