Page 18 of 24 [ 372 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 24  Next

Nights_Like_These
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2014, 7:35 pm

Dox47 wrote:
By "enough of a connection' you mean she told the police that she was a feminist and they followed up on it because they had nothing else and that's what they're supposed to do? That's all the "evidence" you need, huh?

I think the connection was more related to the threats of bodily harm she received because of her views followed by the actual bodily harm she received on her front lawn....

--Aldous Huxley

Nights_Like_These
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2014, 7:42 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Someone's got to keep things honest.

I hear you saying you're here to keep things honest (even though I don't recall a lot of dishonesty running rampant before you go here), but I just can't quite believe that your intentions are that honourable. I kind of get the impression that your reasons for being here aren't all that different than the people who say things like "Get over yourself, dumb b***h", you just use things like sarcasm and your intellectual arrogance instead of outright name-calling (as you said outright name-calling isn't the best way to "shut her up" after all).

(also, there are 'unknown 3rd parties' that have been participating in this thread via PM so as to avoid the shitstorm that ensues anytime someone brings up this topic)

--Aldous Huxley

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2014, 7:51 pm

Nights_Like_These wrote:
I think the connection was more related to the threats of bodily harm she received because of her views followed by the actual bodily harm she received on her front lawn....

There was never a proven link, and regular old crime is statistically far more common than ideologically driven crime, making the whole "attacked for feminism" angle unlikely, which is not preventing it from being presented as if it's a proven fact here and elsewhere. It's bad enough to try and use one incident to tar an entire group of people, but using an incident with only the most specious and speculative connection to the targeted group is even worse.

- Rick Sanchez

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2014, 8:04 pm

Nights_Like_These wrote:
I hear you saying you're here to keep things honest (even though I don't recall a lot of dishonesty running rampant before you go here), but I just can't quite believe that your intentions are that honourable.

Sir, you wound me with your lack of faith.

Nights_Like_These wrote:
I kind of get the impression that your reasons for being here aren't all that different than the people who say things like "Get over yourself, dumb b***h", you just use things like sarcasm and your intellectual arrogance instead of outright name-calling (as you said outright name-calling isn't the best way to "shut her up" after all).

Ahh, the misogyny accusation; that train is never late in these threads.

Nights_Like_These wrote:
(also, there are 'unknown 3rd parties' that have been participating in this thread via PM so as to avoid the shitstorm that ensues anytime someone brings up this topic)

So, you're like their spokesman or something?

- Rick Sanchez

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2014, 8:37 pm

Dox asked me why I brought up the 1st amendment. That is a good question by Dox. Here is my reasoning. I have noticed a strange phenomenon here and other non-autism forums. People claim they're being censored and they have the right to free speech. I've have seen this played over and over again even here. The assumption is that freedom of speech can't be abridged here. That assumption can be proven as not true. It is true that government can't abridge freedom of speech here unless one is threatening murder or something.

The thing Alex can because he does not belong to the government but is a private owner of this website. He can set rules how ever he wants as long as he is not doing anything illegal. Our free speech which is not abridgable by government can be abridged by Alex on Wrongplanet.

Those who claim censorship and losing their rights on wrongplanet are wrong because private owners can set rules on their property including curtailing sexism. Censorship is allowed by private owners.

On the other hand one can make appeals to Alex and/or go to another forum, or create a new forum. To use free speech as part of one's argument is erroneous thinking because it is only applicable to Governmental entities that only exists in the USA.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2014, 8:46 pm

cubedemon6073 wrote:
Dox asked me why I brought up the 1st amendment. That is a good question by Dox. Here is my reasoning. I have noticed a strange phenomenon here and other non-autism forums. People claim they're being censored and they have the right to free speech. I've have seen this played over and over again even here. The assumption is that freedom of speech can't be abridged here. That assumption can be proven as not true. It is true that government can't abridge freedom of speech here unless one is threatening murder or something.

The thing Alex can because he does not belong to the government but is a private owner of this website. He can set rules how ever he wants as long as he is not doing anything illegal. Our free speech which is not abridgable by government can be abridged by Alex on Wrongplanet.

Those who claim censorship and losing their rights on wrongplanet are wrong because private owners can set rules on their property including curtailing sexism. Censorship is allowed by private owners.

On the other hand one can make appeals to Alex and/or go to another forum, or create a new forum. To use free speech as part of one's argument is erroneous thinking because it is only applicable to Governmental entities that only exists in the USA.

The mistake that you're making is thinking that free speech only refers to a right enshrined in the US Constitution, when in fact it is a form of personal liberty with it's own intrinsic value, to be striven for in all areas, whether legally enforceable or not. No one is claiming that Alex is not within his rights to censor speech however he wishes here, as the site owner he clearly is, but it would still be censorship nonetheless. The people who want more censorship are also free to go to another forum or create their own, or appeal to Alex, as they're attempting, just as I'm free to use my own rhetorical abilities to oppose them.

- Rick Sanchez

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2014, 9:32 pm

Dox47 wrote:
cubedemon6073 wrote:

The mistake that you're making is thinking that free speech only refers to a right enshrined in the US Constitution, when in fact it is a form of personal liberty with it's own intrinsic value, to be striven for in all areas, whether legally enforceable or not. No one is claiming that Alex is not within his rights to censor speech however he wishes here, as the site owner he clearly is, but it would still be censorship nonetheless. The people who want more censorship are also free to go to another forum or create their own, or appeal to Alex, as they're attempting, just as I'm free to use my own rhetorical abilities to oppose them.

Let's say you're in my house, you curse, and I don't allow cursing but you do so anyway. I can make you leave my property anytime since it is my property.

On the other hand you're right though. Alex can censor and you can oppose. When it comes to private organizations though we do not have free speech unless they allow it. If Alex chooses to censure the sexists he can do so and he is within his right as the owner of this site. He has the liberty to do that and you do have the liberty to oppose him and make your argument. Freedom of speech on wrongplanet is limited to what Alex allows.

I will admit though that this concept has a double edge sword to it, my argument does have issues, and I do have issues with this especially in the context of the macro level. So does OWS.

I will say though I do believe StarvingArtist is right and I want her and the other women to feel safe in a safe environment. I am empathetic towards them

SoftwareEngineer
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2014, 9:35 pm

Dox47 wrote:
cubedemon6073 wrote:

Just for the point, when making rulings, judges often use the Constitution as a reference for principles. Thus, a lot of trial law that sets legal precedents is based on the Constitution. So, that is why lawyers and others refer to the various amendments, even when the matter at hand is not directly Constitutional.

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2014, 7:47 am

I personally agree with Alex's stance on the matter; leave them be and let them look stupid. You know why? Because it works. Do they or do they not look incredibly stupid?

When formal punishment (ie. banning, PM warnings) is unachievable as a type of consequence, the other type of consequence is the social one. Rejection, alienation, losing friends. The seemingly unfair social and romantic rejection they complain about eventually evolves into a just consequence of the attitudes they develop. Let them dig their hole deeper, and then maybe when they're so deep there's no sunlight perhaps they might learn. It's the only way to learn. A ban hammer or a sternly worded PM won't teach them.

My philosophy here has been to sit back, post in random and just let it all happen. Only problem Alex should worry about is the image of WP it's projecting. Which isn't a good way to appear considering recent news events.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2014, 9:28 am

blue_bean wrote:
My philosophy here has been to sit back, post in random and just let it all happen. Only problem Alex should worry about is the image of WP it's projecting. Which isn't a good way to appear considering recent news events.

Yeah, I wasn't that fussed about it until I read this article:
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/may/24/elliot-rodgers-california-shooting-mental-health-misogyny

It was the line
Quote:
Rodger was reportedly involved with the online men's rights movement: allegedly active on one forum

It could quiet easily have been this forum, I clicked the link in the article and realised that it was a different forum, but it made me think that we maybe do need some serious reflection on the kind of attitudes we put up with here.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2014, 9:40 am

I've never heard of something called "Men's Rights" until I read about it on this Forum.

It's a total absurdity. It makes men look foolish.

It's like "white rights." White people in the Western World, in the vast majority of cases, do not need to be advocated for. All they have to do is exist in the world amid normal competition.

There's a reason for "womens rights," organizations which advocate for the rights of minorities, disability advocates: they are dealt a deck which is somewhat, or very much, skewed against them. They HAVE to advocate for themselves, in addition to experiencing normal competition. Otherwise, their outcome will invariably be less positive than those people who benefit from being in the majority. It's a matter of equality really--they want the same chances for success as anybody else.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2014, 10:09 am

hurtloam wrote:
Yeah, I wasn't that fussed about it until I read this article:
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/may/24/elliot-rodgers-california-shooting-mental-health-misogyny

It was the line
Quote:
Rodger was reportedly involved with the online men's rights movement: allegedly active on one forum

It could quiet easily have been this forum, I clicked the link in the article and realised that it was a different forum, but it made me think that we maybe do need some serious reflection on the kind of attitudes we put up with here.

After what Rodgers did, a person acknowledged to share the same bitter, vicious anti-women sentiment as is freely expressed right here on WP, it's more pressing than ever that Alex should WAKE UP.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2014, 11:05 am

Aye. Count me in. I'm sick of this place. This site is (AFAIK) the biggest forum for people with AS. It makes people with AS as a whole group look hateful, spiteful, immature and misogynistic. I've been posting here less and less because of this reason.

As for letting people look stupid - The Daily Mail makes themselves look stupid, and yet lots of people follow it and believe it. The argument to let people look stupid doesn't make any sense. Letting hate fester is harmful, and feeding it more fuel spreads it and intensifies it.

SoftwareEngineer
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2014, 8:14 pm

Considering recent events, this thread is super interesting. On one hand, we have all sorts of autism advocacies scrambling to prevent the actions of one autistic individual from negatively affecting the general perceptions and treatment of autistics. On the other hand, right here on Wrong Planet, we have a group trying to negatively influence the perceptions and treatment of some men, based on the actions of one man. Founded on a set or subset of coincidental similarities, what leverage is provided to predict the likely capabilities and intentions of other individuals? Which similarities are rightfully comparable and conclusive? What is included and what is excluded? What are the interests and which of those interests are competing or contradictory? How can matters be prioritized? What are the implications and insinuations? What are the principles and how can those principles be applied? Later, if questions are asked, - both questions of principle and application - what answers will be available? At this point, I'm going to stand back and watch.

starvingartist
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2014, 8:28 pm

SoftwareEngineer wrote:
Considering recent events, this thread is super interesting. On one hand, we have all sorts of autism advocacies scrambling to prevent the actions of one autistic individual from negatively affecting the general perceptions and treatment of autistics. On the other hand, right here on Wrong Planet, we have a group trying to negatively influence the perceptions and treatment of some men, based on the actions of one man. Founded on a set or subset of coincidental similarities, what leverage is provided to predict the likely capabilities and intentions of other individuals? Which similarities are rightfully comparable and conclusive? What is included and what is excluded? What are the interests and which of those interests are competing or contradictory? How can matters be prioritized? What are the implications and insinuations? What are the principles and how can those principles be applied? Later, if questions are asked, - both questions of principle and application - what answers will be available? At this point, I'm going to stand back and watch.

please provide evidence for this supposition if you wish it to be discussed. i've personally observed members note the disturbing similarity of some posts in L&D with the killer's video transcript, because there were obvious and glaring similarities (with the exception of murder)--and those who noted the similarities (including myself) believe there is good reason to discuss this similarity and why it exists, and what it means, in the interest of preventing future violence and helping female members to feel more safe on this site. how does this prove there is a "group right here on WP trying to negatively influence perceptions and treatment of some men"?

cannotthinkoff
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 May 2014, 9:51 pm

when I read the manifesto of that guy, i found it almost hilarious how his thoughts reflected things I read on WP and the whole "mra" thing. it just that it was stated so much clearly.

wp has to be moderated more.. the misogyny is just too much, I dont need another place where disrespect is a casual occurrence..