Page 19 of 24 [ 372 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 24  Next

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2014, 10:18 pm

cannotthinkoff wrote:
when I read the manifesto of that guy, i found it almost hilarious how his thoughts reflected things I read on WP and the whole "mra" thing. it just that it was stated so much clearly.

wp has to be moderated more.. the misogyny is just too much, I dont need another place where disrespect is a casual occurrence..

I will do what I can to get you that safe place. I'm working with StarvingArtist to help achieve this goal. I've already sent an email to Alex myself. The world may be an unfair and nasty place. Does WP have to be? Let's make our part of the world and community better. I hope Alex allows the mods to enforce more aggressively. Everyone deserves a safe place.

opal
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2014, 1:51 am

smudge wrote:
Aye. Count me in. I'm sick of this place. This site is (AFAIK) the biggest forum for people with AS. It makes people with AS as a whole group look hateful, spiteful, immature and misogynistic. I've been posting here less and less because of this reason.

As for letting people look stupid - The Daily Mail makes themselves look stupid, and yet lots of people follow it and believe it. The argument to let people look stupid doesn't make any sense. Letting hate fester is harmful, and feeding it more fuel spreads it and intensifies it.

+1

cannotthinkoff
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 May 2014, 2:53 am

cubedemon6073 wrote:
cannotthinkoff wrote:
when I read the manifesto of that guy, i found it almost hilarious how his thoughts reflected things I read on WP and the whole "mra" thing. it just that it was stated so much clearly.

wp has to be moderated more.. the misogyny is just too much, I dont need another place where disrespect is a casual occurrence..

I will do what I can to get you that safe place. I'm working with StarvingArtist to help achieve this goal. I've already sent an email to Alex myself. The world may be an unfair and nasty place. Does WP have to be? Let's make our part of the world and community better. I hope Alex allows the mods to enforce more aggressively. Everyone deserves a safe place.

Thanks for restoring hope :) your efforts are very much appreciated

Also, to that argument that "lets sit back and watch them being stupid", well its established that for instance media that is relentlessly reporting things like mass shootings of nutjobs are promoting this behavior. Some things have to be censored, or controlled.

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2014, 8:02 am

cannotthinkoff wrote:
cubedemon6073 wrote:
cannotthinkoff wrote:

Thanks for restoring hope :) your efforts are very much appreciated

Also, to that argument that "lets sit back and watch them being stupid", well its established that for instance media that is relentlessly reporting things like mass shootings of nutjobs are promoting this behavior. Some things have to be censored, or controlled.

We watch plenty of people be stupid through Jerry Springer and different reality shows. Guess what? Sometimes life can reflect art? I see so much stupidity. Yesterday, I was in a horrible funk about it. Let me put it to you this way. My wife and I took advantage of a 3 day vacation and I repeated my last name 10 times and confirmed with them to make sure they had my spelling right. They still managed to get it wrong.

Whenever I've had to go places I'm having to backtrack addresses because people spell it wrong. It seems like people worship and care more about Kim Kardashian's tushie then about the things we discuss. Most people as far as I know don't talk about things like ethics, feminist theory, philosophy, etc. They know more about celebrities than anything else. They don't get into discussions like this in their everyday lives. Some people do but a lot more it seems like care more about the celebrities than anything else.

If we went out into front street and tried to discuss ethics and philosophy with the average joe would we be able to have an in depth conversation or would we get the same regurgitated nonsense. The public schools don't teach students how to think but to teach them to certain boxes.

We don't need more positive thinking; we need more critical thinking. Oh crap, I went on my soap box. :oops:

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2014, 9:58 am

I'm not digging through 20 pages of thread, so pardon me if this has been brought up before...

We had a lot of trouble over on another site I visit (SurvivalistBoards, to be precise) with ladies wanting to talk about woman troubles and personal problems and guys consistently derailing the thread with misogyny and, more than anything, snark.

The mods' solution over there was to ban guys from posting in the Ladies's Section entirely, and also setting up a special group that you could not even view unless you could prove you were a woman over 21 for the discussion of the REALLY serious stuff.

I sort of hate to kick guys out, because there are good ones (CubeDemon, that's for you!!) and you lose out on that...

...but really, it is no more fair to try to stop guys from woman-bashing than it is to try to stop women from man-bashing. Sometimes we just get frustrated "avec la differance," and need to cop a French attitude.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2014, 10:03 am

BuyerBeware wrote:

The mods' solution over there was to ban guys from posting in the Ladies's Section entirely, and also setting up a special group that you could not even view unless you could prove you were a woman over 21 for the discussion of the REALLY serious stuff.

How can you really prove that you are female or over 21? Not everyone would want to or be able to send in photos/scans of ids full of identifying personal information and some people might just get a female friend/relative to show proof to get them in.

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2014, 10:10 am

BuyerBeware wrote:
I'm not digging through 20 pages of thread, so pardon me if this has been brought up before...

We had a lot of trouble over on another site I visit (SurvivalistBoards, to be precise) with ladies wanting to talk about woman troubles and personal problems and guys consistently derailing the thread with misogyny and, more than anything, snark.

I sort of hate to kick guys out, because there are good ones (CubeDemon, that's for you!!) and you lose out on that...

...but really, it is no more fair to try to stop guys from woman-bashing than it is to try to stop women from man-bashing. Sometimes we just get frustrated "avec la differance," and need to cop a French attitude.

:oops: Thanks BuyerBeware, you're a good person as well.

Where is SurvivalistBoards by the way?

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2014, 2:22 pm

BuyerBeware wrote:

The problem isn't so much with the Women's section on Wrong Planet. It's mostly with the L&D section. A new user started a thread a couple of months ago on asking for advice on the best way to use WrongPlanet and alot of people told them to avoid the L&D forum. It's been a problem for a long time. It seems like a bad thing to have a whole sub-forum that regular users describe as a "cess-pool".

The recent tragic news story has brought this murmouring to a head and some of us are starting to think that it needs to be taken more seriously now.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

27 May 2014, 2:34 pm

Never really had any of this against me, but I'm in. No one should be treated like this, especially on here. :?

tarantella64
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2014, 2:35 pm

hurtloam wrote:
BuyerBeware wrote:

The problem isn't so much with the Women's section on Wrong Planet. It's mostly with the L&D section. A new user started a thread a couple of months ago on asking for advice on the best way to use WrongPlanet and alot of people told them to avoid the L&D forum. It's been a problem for a long time. It seems like a bad thing to have a whole sub-forum that regular users describe as a "cess-pool".

The recent tragic news story has brought this murmouring to a head and some of us are starting to think that it needs to be taken more seriously now.

BuyerBeware, it's better to moderate such stuff globally on a site. Other sites manage that fine -- afaik the only reason it doesn't happen on a site, when members are calling for it, is when the site itself is so overwhelmingly misogynist that the site owners are afraid the site will collapse if misogyny isn't allowed. (And I don't think that's the case here.) It's no better, in terms of misogyny, to tell women that in order to talk openly about themselves without being attacked, they have to hide from view in a protected little corner, talk only to other women, and have bouncers standing outside.

cubedemon, survivalist groups are prep-for-one-armaggedon-or-another groups. Lots of gun/arsenal talk, food/water storage/filtration, fantasies about defending turf and womenfolk. They blossomed online after the '08 crash and remain popular. Cheaper than building a bomb shelter, I guess.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2014, 4:18 pm

Let them be stupid is wrong for this forum. We have people here with co-morbid depression and suicidal thoughts and beyond or are just plain fragile. People should not let what people say on an internet forum get to them, but when they are in a bad state/fragile it is going to happen. Who knows what can push people over the edge? I am appalled at the willingness of so many autistics here and elsewhere to sacrifice their fellow autistics to win some political point.

I can't guarantee my support before I go over whatever plan you come up with, but I definitely want to support whatever you come up with.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

starvingartist
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2014, 4:28 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Let them be stupid is wrong for this forum. We have people here with co-morbid depression and suicidal thoughts and beyond or are just plain fragile. People should not let what people say on an internet forum get to them, but when they are in a bad state/fragile it is going to happen. Who knows what can push people over the edge? I am appalled at the willingness of so many autistics here and elsewhere to sacrifice their fellow autistics to win some political point.

I can't guarantee my support before I go over whatever plan you come up with, but I definitely want to support whatever you come up with.

right now the plan is for anyone who agrees that sexism should be moderated in the same way as racism and other forms of bigotry are already moderated on the site to send an email to alex expressing your desire for such and also citing any examples of threads/posts that you come across as examples of sexism/misogyny you have observed (like statements such as "women only date jerks who abuse them", etc).

edit* to add: btw for anyone who's interested, his email is [email protected]

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2014, 4:57 pm

Quote:
right now the plan is for anyone who agrees that sexism should be moderated in the same way as racism and other forms of bigotry are already moderated on the site to send an email to alex expressing your desire for such and also citing any examples of threads/posts that you come across as examples of sexism/misogyny you have observed (like statements such as "women only date jerks who abuse them", etc).

edit* to add: btw for anyone who's interested, his email is [email protected]

Yes, keep sending examples to Alex. Keep finding examples and send them to him.

BanjoGirl
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2014, 5:22 pm

I left Wrong Planet because of that problem. So stressing. When the generalizations about women appeared in different forums of WP at the same time, I decided to leave. It hurts because it's really unfair. I recognized myself as a Neurotypical and I left.

Sadly, this "all women are like that" is a trend that is growing all over the internet. I think this is just the beginning.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2014, 11:36 pm

BanjoGirl wrote:
I left Wrong Planet because of that problem. So stressing. When the generalizations about women appeared in different forums of WP at the same time, I decided to leave. It hurts because it's really unfair. I recognized myself as a Neurotypical and I left.

Sadly, this "all women are like that" is a trend that is growing all over the internet. I think this is just the beginning.
I am truly sorry to hear that and I admit as a male I have had made generalizations of NT women esspecially in the past but out of experience and am learning to mend my ways I know its no excuse for me to be a jerk so I am working on it certain recent events have awakened me not to be so bitter towards NT women because if it werent for NT women I wouldnt be born my mother is an NT after all also my sister is an NT and rescued me from my stepdad. A lot of the male wp members probably had really bad experiences with women and NTs in particular but are taking it out on the wrong women and the wrong NT women and I think that is the source of the issue. We need to remember women are human beings and have feelings and not all of them are mean and cruel and have faced the same problems dealing with aspie men and NT men alike. I just know this,even though im a male this website should be a place where both women and men can feel welcome and not hated. Women are human beings like men and have emotions and should be treated as human beings and not thought of as monsters and such!I kknow I come off as immature hyperactive and crude with my jokes but i do have a heart and it breaks my heart hearing that the women of WP are feeling mistreated and nothing is being done about it! I do agree that maybe moderation of sexism should be enforced more aggresively, it use to be when Hyperlexian was around she was a Feminist and looked out for both men and women and locked threads being sexist towards men and also threads being sexist towards women. I do miss her even at times she scolded me and told me to sit in the corner she was a kind person but sadly she has a life outside of WP and has met the love of her life and moved to England she was an awesome moderator when it came to enforcing against sexism.I really do miss Hyperlexian she would know what to do in regards to sexism and mistreatment of women on wrong planet!

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2014, 12:51 am

I'd like to add, that in my own experience, most of the people who make disparaging comments, whether in L&D or elsewhere on the site, tend to do plenty of things that might be of interest to the mods that don't involve any kind of subjective -isms, if people would only take the time to report them. PM is the best option in my opinion, so you don't end up in public pissing matches with someone who noticed you report them, and it's very helpful to explain why you think the post in question violates WP ToS rather than just sending a link to a mod with little to no explanation. Patterns of behavior are particularly strong arguments to the mods, they're much more likely to take action against someone if you can link to several posts all demonstrating the same thing, rather than isolated instances, unless they're really over the top.

- Rick Sanchez