Page 4 of 17 [ 272 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 17  Next

Whisper
Toucan
Toucan

14 Dec 2009, 3:30 pm

ticktockpop wrote:
Oh my Goodness, I am textbook case!! ! I love that table!

That's precisely how I felt. :D That table summarizes me perfectly. I'd never found anyone else who really gets mirroring/chameleonic tendancies, but I've noticed them in myself for years.

millie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2009, 5:45 pm

Quote:
Aimless wrote:
millie wrote:
this list is from rudy (simone's) website. Rudy has written a very insightful book on women and asperger's which i and many others contributed to. IN fact she has written a few really good books - some of which are published by JKP. The women and girls book should be out next year and i think it will be very good. rudy also does her own research and is very throrough and wonderfully single-minded in her approach.

What is the name of the book? I'd like to read it. Oh, and regarding the list, only 2 or 3 do not apply. I'm not very outwardly expressive.

hello aimless. just email rudy and she will tell you. You can contact her via the website where the list is. I think the book is in the pre-publishing stage.

Meadow
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2009, 5:59 pm

Wow, most of that fits.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2009, 6:11 pm

millie wrote:
Quote:
Aimless wrote:
millie wrote:
this list is from rudy (simone's) website. Rudy has written a very insightful book on women and asperger's which i and many others contributed to. IN fact she has written a few really good books - some of which are published by JKP. The women and girls book should be out next year and i think it will be very good. rudy also does her own research and is very throrough and wonderfully single-minded in her approach.

What is the name of the book? I'd like to read it. Oh, and regarding the list, only 2 or 3 do not apply. I'm not very outwardly expressive.

hello aimless. just email rudy and she will tell you. You can contact her via the website where the list is. I think the book is in the pre-publishing stage.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2009, 12:48 pm

This completely fits me, including the suspicion during childhood of me having an autism spectrum disorder. I did not get diagnosed only due to the lack of a clinically significant speech delay.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

AspergerCH75
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Dec 2009, 11:07 am

Cowbird wrote:
Can someone tell me what it means on there when they describe someone as a "trainspotter"?

Quite a lot of this describes me, that's for sure. And my sister and my mom.

I am a trainspotter, although I prefer to call it railfanning.

SilentScream
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Dec 2009, 11:20 am

dancind wrote:
re hunger/food issues. I've wondered if my daughter has a blood sugar disorder. When she was younger, she never said "I'm hungry". Instead, she would become distraught, angry and tearful, actually very depressed for no apparent reason. I learned to feed her asap and she was instantly sunny again.

She doesn't really seem to do it anymore. Of course, she rarely lets herself go without eating, and the meals have to be big. Maybe that has something to do with her big appetite?

I rarely feel hungry. Now that I'm older, I've learnt that I actually feel my brain slowing down due to a blood sugar drop long before I feel any significant discomfort from my stomach area. I am aware that I hear rumblings from my tummy, and some twinges, but don't feel any motivation to do anything about it, which I am now aware is what prompts most people to go and eat.

Funnily enough, one of my friends who knows me very well has pointed out that when I clam up and start signing(as opposed to talking), it means that I haven't been fed for a while and am getting tired! :D

Hermien
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Dec 2009, 3:59 pm

No offense to the author, however, my NT partner finds these characteristics too general to serve as a diagnostic tool. And, she has a degree in clinical psychology.

Meadow
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2009, 4:18 pm

Hermien wrote:
No offense to the author, however, my NT partner finds these characteristics too general to serve as a diagnostic tool. And, she has a degree in clinical psychology.

Like many out there who carry a degree, particularly in psychology, it alone does not impress. One doesn't require a degree to make that sort of generalization.

flyingladybird
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 Dec 2009, 7:10 am

So is this list derived from the book "Apergers and Girls"?
who is the author of this list please, so kindly if I had missed this altogether?
pity the list doesn't focus very sharp on my old Mac.... :o)

Knowing my AS traits mellowing due to my advancing age, can't comment much (added with "blurry" lists my aged/over used eyes won't take lol) shame!! !

having said that, it's really good to come across with some Female ASD in some recent publications and really, great to see this long forgotten subject matter re. Female ASD being put on the "mainstream" these days.

It would be good to see more publications on mature adults/Females with ASD whilst there's already overwhelming amount of work focused on Children and Young People with ASD though focus and attention had been placed on Boys quite often and regularly in the past.

In UK, I believe, NICE guideline specifically & solely cover Children and Young People with ASD and not on older Adults as if Adults with ASD never existed! LOL certainly NICE doesn't look at Adults with ASD in their Guidelines at all which is yet to be improved.

In this sense, needs for a lot of Mature Adults and Female Aspies had been left in the shadow for an awful lot of time, particularly if local AS services are rather sporadic or not existent at the worst.

There has been more dominant, universal ASD characteristics which have already been raised again and again by ASD authors/clinicians but there are those which are far more subtle, more individual and hidden forms/signs of ASD which may be easily overlooked only astute authors/clinicians can tune in and notice..

x x x

Hermien
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Dec 2009, 9:35 am

flyingladybird wrote:
In this sense, needs for a lot of Mature Adults and Female Aspies had been left in the shadow for an awful lot of time, particularly if local AS services are rather sporadic or not existent at the worst.

It would help if women aspi's would come forward more easily. Unfortunately, apparently the incentives are low, as revealing aspi-ness highlights some important vulnerabilities that may hurt women more than men. It is just not so easy!

flyingladybird
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

25 Dec 2009, 5:39 am

hi

I wasn't sure.
I do seem to recall a thread on wp, "why so many AS females on WP?"

local AS support group is said to be full of AS ladies (in my area), there is a need to be in touch amongst ASD Females.

am actually a member of NAS (national autism society in UK) since last year but I hadn't seen many articles re. Female ASD, let alone Adult ASD in NAS publications that members receive. Then maybe, Adult articles only to fill some bits of tiny empty space left, to my mind. I honestly don't know why they keep sending me publications of loads of irrelevant subjects such as SEN, more Children's education etc. I thought it's kinda quite waste of time.

Suppose this is to do with vocal Parents who had campaigned for their Children so it's good for them, but not to people who are much older, thinking about old age, declining health etc.
perhaps the truth of the matter is NAS will obviously try to be reflective of their dominant members demography.

I probably won't support NAS for the next year. They're a huge organization (I believe?) and they're not that in touch with Adults/Females, at least to my mind.

Thank you for your head's up, you probably know far more than I do in this subject. It was much appreciated!

Merry Christmas and stay well

ilivinamushroom
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Dec 2009, 3:14 am

That was awesome and so accurate I only slightly disagreed with a few points ! As we all know the lions share (intentional pun) of aspergers literature is based on males so every little bit of help we can give eachother counts! :sunny:

Freak_Contagion
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 May 2010, 2:45 am

I know I'm reviving something pretty ancient here, but I was just searching out random keywords to see if I could find some cool old topics on AS (so, admittedly intent on reviving something old), and I found this list and checked it out.

I am rather amused by this. Most of these differences in women with AS seem to apply amusingly well to me. The only thing I noticed being particularly different from me is that my obsessions are pretty impractical, and I haven't had any rage issues since I was in elementary school, and haven't broken down in general for about a year now, although I will still cry pretty easily sometimes, but I can shake it off after a moment usually. The rest describes me to a 'T'.

As for my obsessions.... I like games where changing the rules is part of the game (like Chairman Mao (although Mao only changes rules between games; the player who won gets to add a new rule) or Nomic), and studying spaces with more than three dimensions. Not very practical, lol. Especially since there's basically no such thing in reality as 4+ dimensions of space (not time), at least on any scale above quantum. That quantum physical stuff is weird, and I think I've heard something about there being more dimensions to space that can be seen on that scale, but it never made sense to me. I just like the purely theoretical notions of hyperspaces more.

Yeah though, this just looked really neat. xP So sue me.

I enjoy random PMs. ^.^

Last edited by Freak_Contagion on 22 May 2010, 9:42 pm, edited 4 times in total.

MotownDangerPants
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2010, 12:24 pm

Wow, I think I identified with all but tow of those. Will you guys have me? lol.

Xule
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 May 2010, 3:50 pm

'Prone to temper or crying meltdowns'
Ahahaha there I am xDDD