How old were you when you were diagnosed?

Page 4 of 7 [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Cumulus
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Apr 2010, 1:45 pm

I got my diagnosis yesterday, so at age 16.

monkees4va
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Apr 2010, 6:16 am

I was 9 when I got diagnosed, mainly because of my brother.
My brother has high functioning autism, but in his pre-school years it was a lot more obvious. He didn't speak til he was 5.
The health visitor that diagnosed him also diagnosed me and my mum with AS. In a way it was a relief to all of us. at least we knew why we stood out

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 65 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

smartypants
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Apr 2010, 10:20 am

sinsboldly wrote:
I was 58 years old when I was diagnosed. I was 56 when I found out about Asperger's Syndrome. I wasn't 'in denial' I just didn't know about it until I found out about it.

I have mixed feelings about finding out when I was younger. I might have thought myself a victim of life rather than constantly trying to improve myself to be 'as good as' non AS.

Merle

Hi Merle,

I would like to know if you would share the benefits of being diagnosed at 58. I am 44 and trying to decide whether I want/need a professional diagnosis. I, like you, just recently discovered the name for my "problem" or "privilege" as I like to call it. :-D

Thanks,
Jill

pippilngstkngpr
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 May 2010, 3:26 am

I would have loved to known I was an Aspie at 16 too. It would have helped growing up so much easier, and school too. It would have helped me make up lies or just say I don't know why I do and say or don't understand what I do.

It basically would have helped me know myself more.

I got diagnosed at age 21, officially. Though my psych knew I had it but she wanted to learn more about me and such.

I don't know much of my dad's side of the family, but now I know a little more. Not diagnosed but you can definitely tell my Pop's is an Aspie and so is my Dad, also he had other things like ADHD and Bipolar, all undiagnosed but only if you knew you would know.

I was diagnosed at age 7 with Auditory Processing Disorder, because my mom is a Special Education Teacher and knew I wasn't processing anything right and such. And she knew it but everyone ignored her but they finally found out.

I am glad I got the diagnoses. It helps a lot. I mean A LOT.

faithfilly
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2010, 1:46 pm

aspie_giraffe
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Jul 2010, 2:00 am

age 17(just this year) after a couple of years thinking that i might be but no one would listen, the final thing was looking at special provision for the hsc and seeing that the general anxiety/OCD provisions didnt suit what i needed,(i was dignosed at 14 as anxiety, eating disorder and OCD, which didnt really fit especially as i really like food just sensory issues) and underneath was autism and because id had that nagging feeling and recently watched autism times 6 as well as reading the last oracle i went on the internet reasearched and talked at my mum till she agreed and understood, its the only diagnosis thats fits and when i talked to my doctor she was like, "now that i think about it, that seems the most logical conclusion" and reffered my to a psychologist, months later i am feeling releived about the pending hsc exams as i will get break time a separate room to do my exams, mauve paper, no fluoro lights, extra time and will be able to take my plush giraffe into the exam, tell your daughter that a dignosis can help you in school alot because allowances can and must be made for things such as sensory issues etc... for example due to my issues with sound im allowed to have my ipod in all day at school so long as i can hear the teacher and if i get overwhelmed i can leave class without question and just stand outside the room or go to the special education classroom to sit on the comfy chairs and have some quiet time

violetchild
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Jul 2010, 2:32 pm

Ive been officially diagnosed very recently at the age of 39 years, I knew i had this about 1 yr before diagnoses, as soon as I heard about it as it was me. I regret I didnt know about Asperger's when I was young, as Ive gone throu life with issues and not knowing why I was different or what was wrong.

I suggest to leave it up to your daughter when and if she wants to be assessed for Asperger's. She may hold it against you otherwise and she's almost an adult. If she needs to know later, she can and will get herself assessed.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2010, 9:35 am

Sivri
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Jul 2010, 5:37 am

17½ - My diagnosis remains unspecified, so when I got it no one really knew what to tell me. I got a bunch of papers on different aspects of autism and was told that I seemed like all the things but I wasnt quite all of the things either. I remember the psycologist called me a "special girl" about five times. I felt so weird when I left that place, I've always had a hunch that I wasn't quite normal, and now it seems that they know that too but they just don't know how to word it.
With time I've read up on aspergers syndrome and come to the conclusion that its what i'm most like out of the of the things they handed me back then, and have started calling my diagnosis that even tho its not what it sais on the paper.
It gets too confusing otherwise.

Suiseiten
Raven
Raven

15 Jul 2010, 1:14 am

27 and quite literally, two weeks ago is when I was diagnosed as at least having symptoms of Asperger's. I'm still trying to figure out the treatment plan that they're planning for me to put it in the right context because later, it showed that I did get the diagnosis. Psychology mildly confuses me, so I don't quite get the difference, but something tells me that there is one.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2010, 8:58 am

I was diagnosed in 1998 - when I was 8 years old. Why was I diagnosed so early? - I really do not know. I didn't think females easily got a diagnosis so early in life.

Suzu
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Sep 2010, 2:13 pm

My mother could tell there was something different about me since I was eight, but no one ever figured out what it was. Teachers, counselors, coaches/club leaders, etc all labeled it as behavioral issues or the like. When I was 16, my mother read a book whose main character had AS, the similarities between her and me lead her to read the DSM, and it was a like a light went off.

Took me until I was 18 before I was really comfortable with the diagnosis, though. I completely rejected it at first.
Am nineteen now, and doing pretty damn well, if I do say so myself. Am an education major working towards two degrees and a teaching certificate - in fact, my disability has led me to minor in special needs education, so I can try and help all those undiagnosed aspie kids before they slip through the cracks like I did.

Pseudeos
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Sep 2010, 11:45 pm

I was assessed when I was 15 and diagnosed when I was 16. I was suspected of having AS when I was 11, but my parents were in denial and ignored it for a few years.

"Are we not in the hands of a lunatic? God isn?t interested in technology. He knows nothing of the potential of the micro-chip or the silicon revolution. Look how he spends his time; 43 species of parrot! Nipples for men!"

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2010, 2:03 am

Diagnosed at the age of 10. Which was 18 years ago.

I think i hold the record so far :P

Darklinggirl
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Sep 2010, 6:44 pm

I was eleven. I don't remember much apart from changing schools eventually..... which was better and I didn't get bullied any more :)

catie
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Dec 2010, 10:32 am

misdiagnosed at 9 as a NT. and then diagnosed again at 24 with AD/HD and AS.