Feminist 66%  66%  [ 99 ]
Not A Feminist 17%  17%  [ 26 ]
Indifferent 16%  16%  [ 24 ]
Total votes : 149

petitesouris
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jun 2010, 8:14 pm

i am also a feminist, although that does not mean that i want to be a man. i have a very feminine personality and love dresses and flowers, but i do not slavishly follow a set of irrelevant norms.

also, i do not think that feminism is dead, even if women have rights in modern cultures, because the gap between liberated women and oppressed ones is growing. in france, many Muslim communities still commit honor killings and similar crimes against women, despite how some of these people have lived there for 3 generations.

Bethie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: My World, Highview, Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Earth, The Milky Way, Local Group, Local Supercluster

29 Jul 2010, 10:00 am

I'm a radical feminist.

It's a shame that since the whole battle of the sexes BS got started, to be pro-woman means anti-man, to many.

As if it's a damned ball game. :evil:

"Different but equal" is "Separate but equal" in a dress.

Pistonhead
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2010, 10:24 am

Bethie wrote:
It's a shame that since the whole battle of the sexes BS got started, to be pro-woman means anti-man, to many.

That's pretty much my take on feminism. I like equality for women but a lot of feminists remind me of extremists.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2010, 11:10 am

agape wrote:
I'm not a feminist. I believe in the equal treatment and rights of all human beings. Females are not the only minority group. Actually, females are the majority in population, but are still considered a minority group. There are many other minority groups that are just as, if not more, segregated or unfairly treated than females. Many people are paid less, treated badly or excluded based purely on their looks, their lifestyles, their beliefs. Poor people, little people, fat people, deformed people, people with any array of diseases or disabilities. And actually, within many minority groups, it's actually the men that are looked down upon moreso than the women within that same group. Homeless and poor people for example...the men in these groups are generally shown less sympathy and receive less help than their female counterparts, and more is expected from them. There are also plenty of men from different minority groups that make well below the average female income. And for these reasons, i'm not a feminist, but believe in equal rights of all human beings.

Lifting up one oppressed group doesn't take anything away from other oppressed people. On the contrary, it helps lift all boats to raise awareness that there is injustice and inequality n the world.

Erisad
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2010, 1:20 pm

I'm a feminist. :)

feminist = equality
feminazi. = anti-male mentality

There's a big difference between them.

Bethie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: My World, Highview, Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Earth, The Milky Way, Local Group, Local Supercluster

29 Jul 2010, 1:32 pm

bee33 wrote:
Lifting up one oppressed group doesn't take anything away from other oppressed people. On the contrary, it helps lift all boats to raise awareness that there is injustice and inequality n the world.

'Zactly.

petitesouris
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Aug 2010, 11:49 pm

Pistonhead wrote:
Bethie wrote:

That's pretty much my take on feminism. I like equality for women but a lot of feminists remind me of extremists.

true. the bra burners miss the central tenet of feminism when they try to force equal results. feminism is supposed to be about equal opportunity and women making their own choices and voicing their opinions. otherwise, i frankly do not care about the proportion of men and women in the government, as their are no legal restrictions against equality. the real enemy of equality is the notion that women should be subservient robots in all their thoughts and actions. if i am cooperative, it has nothing to do with the other person's gender.

petitesouris
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Aug 2010, 12:03 am

and contrary to the media's unflattering representation of women's liberation, feminists do not revile mothers and housewives. even traditionalists who choose the 19th century "true woman" lifestyle do not bother me, since that is their loss. however, my ears prick up when conservatives try to bully us into changing every intricate detail of our lifestyles. it is people like ann coulter, who wants to repeal women's suffrage, that want to make me lose everything i fought for against all the odds of not being nt. people like that are the reason why feminism still exists, despite how equality is now the norm.

Celoneth
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2010, 4:31 am

Erisad wrote:

feminist = equality

Feminazi is a term that was coined by Rush Limbaugh to refer to uppity women who think that they deserve rights beyond making their man a sammich.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2010, 5:04 am

Celoneth wrote:
Erisad wrote:

feminist = equality

Feminazi is a term that was coined by Rush Limbaugh to refer to uppity women who think that they deserve rights beyond making their man a sammich.

But what about the right to bring him another beer?

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Erisad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2010, 6:56 am

Celoneth wrote:
Erisad wrote:

feminist = equality

How is it uppity for a woman to want equal rights? I think it's fair. We're not slaves just because we were born without a penis. :x

Frankly, the man can make his own damn sammich. He can't say, "well I work all day." Chances are, the woman's working too and raising a child so he has no right to demand a sammich. If a man tried to force this chauvinist view on me, I'd put arsenic in his sammich. :twisted:

Celoneth
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2010, 7:39 am

The beer should come with the sammich of course!

Erisad wrote:
Celoneth wrote:
Erisad wrote:

feminist = equality

How is it uppity for a woman to want equal rights? I think it's fair. We're not slaves just because we were born without a penis. :x

Frankly, the man can make his own damn sammich. He can't say, "well I work all day." Chances are, the woman's working too and raising a child so he has no right to demand a sammich. If a man tried to force this chauvinist view on me, I'd put arsenic in his sammich. :twisted:

I was being sarcastic :P But yes, I agree - though I'd go with something that kills a bit slower :D

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2010, 12:53 pm

He wouldn't deserve to die a dignified death by poisoning.

Cut his fingers off, have him gang raped in public before an audience, and then randomly cut off parts of him and let the crowd have a 'food fight' with his body parts.

I am no goddamn sandwich or baby maker.

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2010, 12:54 pm

Don't mind me.

I'm in a horrendous mood.

petitesouris
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Aug 2010, 3:33 pm

MEATGRINDER wrote:
When a woman's word is considered to be valid by default just because she's female(as in he said/she said disputes), THAT upsets Me. :evil: I've noticed that men in positions of authority, be they bosses or judges, will side with women whenever she claims to be "threatened" by a man who she simply dislikes and wants to get rid of.
I live in the US where AFAIC the advantage has shifted in favor of women for people of my generation. Now I recognize that for past generations this very well may NOT be true, but I do believe that for teenagers and 20somethings the social advantage is clearly in women's favor.

one could argue that feminism makes women ungrateful, as most of us are no longer oppressed. so i am not impressed with the screeching witches that want to sue every time they do not get their way. yet, i wonder if backlashers partially inspire that kind of victim mentallity.

Last edited by petitesouris on 22 Aug 2010, 8:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2010, 3:51 pm

I'm anti-feminist and pro equality.

Why anti-feminist? Where i live, feminism has taken a road that is simular to the road the Talibans have taken from Islam! Feminists here are basically lead by a HBT man hater that want to exterminate all men from the gene pool.

True equality will only happen when men and women stop putting 18th century demands on each other and stops categorising stuff into "man-stuff" "woman-stuff".