Page 4 of 9 [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next

emlion
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2011, 2:35 pm

Well, I actually though because you were new here i'd try to help you not piss people off.
But whatever, be a jerk if you like.
Makes no odds to me.
I'm done arguing about it.

Have a nice day. :)

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

17 Jan 2011, 2:50 pm

murphycop wrote:
Verdandi wrote:
I dislike being called "dear" and other "endearing" nicknames. I don't find it offensive, but I don't see the point.
I am also not fond of "lady." I feel it implies that women should be held to certain impractical standards of behavior.

I also know it's used casually - I've been called a lady many times by wait staff in restaurants, and that doesn't bother me.

Why is it even important though? You easily offended (sorry I don't wanna use anything that might seem offensive) females? would have more problems than being called ladies, if you lived in certain parts of the middle east.

Did I say I was offended? I think it's pretty obvious that I said the opposite.

I have two good friends who call me "dear" all the time and I don't say a word about it to them. I just shrug when others call me a "lady" and it's been a couple of decades since anyone's told me "ladies don't act that way." How is that consistent with "easily offended?" Isn't it possible to dislike something without having to fight to the death over it?

Why are you taking a discussion that is not extreme into extremes?

How is the middle east relevant to this? That comparison makes no sense. I have bigger problems here in the US than what people call me, and yet I can still form an opinion about what people choose to call me.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2011, 4:43 pm

I'm pretty comfortable at this point that murphycop is one of those from whom any diminutive (possibly any address at all) would feel offensive.

It is against my policy to feed trolls, so tata.

murphycop
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2011, 6:23 pm

emlion wrote:
Well, I actually though because you were new here i'd try to help you not piss people off.
Makes no odds to me.

I don't care about offending wahsperger sufferer's.
Have you ever heard the lyrics "freedom of choice is made for you my friend, freedom of speech is words that they will bend" or "you can have it your own way, if its done just how I say"?

murphycop
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2011, 6:29 pm

Verdandi wrote:
murphycop wrote:
Verdandi wrote:
I dislike being called "dear" and other "endearing" nicknames. I don't find it offensive, but I don't see the point.
I am also not fond of "lady." I feel it implies that women should be held to certain impractical standards of behavior.

I also know it's used casually - I've been called a lady many times by wait staff in restaurants, and that doesn't bother me.

Why is it even important though? You easily offended (sorry I don't wanna use anything that might seem offensive) females? would have more problems than being called ladies, if you lived in certain parts of the middle east.

Did I say I was offended? I think it's pretty obvious that I said the opposite.

I have two good friends who call me "dear" all the time and I don't say a word about it to them. I just shrug when others call me a "lady" and it's been a couple of decades since anyone's told me "ladies don't act that way." How is that consistent with "easily offended?" Isn't it possible to dislike something without having to fight to the death over it?

Why are you taking a discussion that is not extreme into extremes?

How is the middle east relevant to this? That comparison makes no sense. I have bigger problems here in the US than what people call me, and yet I can still form an opinion about what people choose to call me.

Well maybe not. But not liking it. I still don't see why.

I dunno, but this seems to be getting silly. Yeah, just like I said, I don't see the problem with these words.

Cause thats how I am : P

I was thinking more of the women who get all upset about being called normal names, when its not a big deal at all. And just mean they'd have more to worry about if they lived in Iran.

murphycop
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2011, 6:31 pm

LKL wrote:
I'm pretty comfortable at this point that murphycop is one of those from whom any diminutive (possibly any address at all) would feel offensive.

It is against my policy to feed trolls, so tata.

Yeah, a troll just cause you don't like what I said, real mature.

alicedress
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Jan 2011, 7:30 pm

Free speech is a two way road, and if you don't want to be called a troll, then try not acting like one.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

17 Jan 2011, 11:56 pm

murphycop wrote:

I dunno, but this seems to be getting silly. Yeah, just like I said, I don't see the problem with these words.

I don't see the point of them. I've never cared for nicknames (especially cute nicknames) or terms of endearment. I don't see why you do like them, but I accept that you do. It is not important to me that you agree with me about this, but I also don't see why you are complaining about any lack of agreement with your perspective, or why you are making what sounds like authoritative statements.

I have more to worry about in the US, as I am sure many others do as well (wherever they live). Having more pressing needs and problems doesn't necessarily mean it's impossible to talk about other things. I would never have brought this up on my own, but since a discussion existed I added my own perspective. I doubt this is a consuming issue for anyone in this thread, but it should be possible to at least talk about whatever things one wants to talk about without being told that one is doing it wrong simply for holding a different perspective, or a perspective that another might not understand.

emlion
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2011, 7:50 am

murphycop wrote:
emlion wrote:
Makes no odds to me.

Have you ever heard the lyrics "freedom of choice is made for you my friend, freedom of speech is words that they will bend" or "you can have it your own way, if its done just how I say"?

Whatever.
I just can't see why you wouldn't just get on with people if you can.
Causing needless arguments is childish.
But, it's obviously your life.
I prefer to be happy than make everyone think i'm a douche.
Bye! :)

murphycop
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2011, 9:19 am

alicedress wrote:
Free speech is a two way road, and if you don't want to be called a troll, then try not acting like one.

Thats BS.

murphycop
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2011, 9:24 am

Verdandi wrote:
murphycop wrote:

I don't see the point of them. I've never cared for nicknames (especially cute nicknames) or terms of endearment. I don't see why you do like them, but I accept that you do. It is not important to me that you agree with me about this, but I also don't see why you are complaining about any lack of agreement with your perspective, or why you are making what sounds like authoritative statements.

I have more to worry about in the US, as I am sure many others do as well (wherever they live). Having more pressing needs and problems doesn't necessarily mean it's impossible to talk about other things. I would never have brought this up on my own, but since a discussion existed I added my own perspective. I doubt this is a consuming issue for anyone in this thread, but it should be possible to at least talk about whatever things one wants to talk about without being told that one is doing it wrong simply for holding a different perspective, or a perspective that another might not understand.

If i'm called dear, its usually by a family member, loved one or an elderly person. Anyone who is offended by the word (not you), seems to just be looking to making a fuss over absolutely nothing, maybe even acting like a troll? :roll:

murphycop
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2011, 9:26 am

emlion wrote:
murphycop wrote:
emlion wrote:
Makes no odds to me.

Whatever.
I just can't see why you wouldn't just get on with people if you can.
Causing needless arguments is childish.
But, it's obviously your life.
I prefer to be happy than make everyone think i'm a douche.
Bye! :)

Again, thats just your opinion.
I prefer to speak my mind, whether its about something I like or dislike.
And i'm just calling on people who are crying over spilt milk.

emlion
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2011, 9:28 am

LOL who's crying over anything?
People are just having a discussion.

OT: I actually got called lady today, and it made me giggle.

murphycop
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2011, 9:50 am

emlion wrote:
LOL who's crying over anything?
People are just having a discussion.

OT: I actually got called lady today, and it made me giggle.

The first few women on page 1, for one. They are genuinely distressed by the word.

See, you're learning :wink:

emlion
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2011, 9:52 am

Meh. I think again, it's the tone.
Lady is much better than being called slut or b***h anyway. :D

Stupid cute guy flirting with me and making me laugh.
I'm glad Stefan doesn't mind flirting.

murphycop
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2011, 9:56 am

Well yeah lol.

Thats good he isn't possesive then.