It's said most girls with AS don't do girly things? Your op?

Page 4 of 10 [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next

Do you where make up?
Yes, Everyday. (More than 4 products) 9%  9%  [ 31 ]
No, Never. 36%  36%  [ 120 ]
Only on important days/outings. (More than 4 products) 24%  24%  [ 80 ]
I do but only 1-3 products. 30%  30%  [ 98 ]
Total votes : 329

MelyssaK
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Feb 2011, 12:20 am

I dressed girly in elementary school (but always played boy games like soccer and wall ball or basketball at recess,) dressed like a boy in high school, and didn't wear make or pluck more than the middle of my eyebrows until after high school. Now I dress girly again and wear make-up. But, according to my step-mom, I don't know the proper application techniques. Oh, well.

abaisse
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2011, 2:19 pm

I wear lip gloss & a little eyeliner for everyday use. I wear more if we are going somewhere special. I don't mind be girly as long as it doesn't interfere with life in a practical way. I hate really long nails or having to worry about mascara running.

lostD
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2011, 2:45 pm

foobabe wrote:
My 11 year old AS daughter is so ungirly -
She gets very embarrassed by compliments about her appearance. Refuses to try playing makeup, hates perfume, thinks shortish skirts are cheap and don't even get me started on what she thinks about Twilight, Hannah Montana etc etc...
Prefers to wear unflattering clothes with her hair covering her face - a bit like the daughter in the film The Incredibles - its almost like she wants to disappear too?. I don't want to make her uncomfortable so won't push the issue and will let her wear what she wants (so long as its tidy). I think alot of it is down to sensory issues??
BTW She has been having meltdowns lately about how much she hates growing up, having boobs, being a girl, being a girl with aspergers etc. I am being as supportive as I can and we'll get through the teenage years together (hopefully)
Not sure if she will ever be a girly girl? But so long as she is happy thats all that matters.

I was exactly like your daughter. I am still more nerdy than girly but I now accept a bit more my femininity and try to work with my issues. (And I wear skirts and dresses because they are actually more comfortable).

She is only 11 and it must be really hard for her to live with all of these things in her head, hopefully she'll feel better later though she will always be an aspie. I think it's pretty common among teenage girls to be a bit like the daughter in the incredibles. :D

As for the poll, I rarely wear make up because I hate the feel of it or the way I look, it does not look like myself and I can't stand it. I like to wear clothes that are too big for me because they are comfortable (until I start loosing my trousers of course), forget to brush my hait when I go out, have no sense of fashion but I am still a bit girly.

Autumnsteps
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Feb 2011, 4:58 pm

I have never worn make up out of choice and never would, I hate the feel of it (or anything) on my skin. I do however dye my hair. mind you that's mostly bright colours to be different :)

Kuzlalala
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Feb 2011, 2:26 am

I only wear makeup on special occasions. Like really special ones. Though I think I do like feminine stuff. I like drawing girls in pretty dresses. I also don't wear girly clothing either. Probably a shirt and pants. Maybe it's because I'm still almost 15.

FireMinstrel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2011, 11:12 pm

No makeup, no jewelry, and I tend to buy shirts from the boys' section of clothing stores. The other week, I managed to get an AWESOME looking French sailor-type black and grey striped shirt. If I'd found it in the women's section, it would probably be sequined, or have rhinestones, or have a stupid-looking scoop collar, or some tacky logo on the front. I know it's designed to probably have a t-shirt worn over it, but I wear it as is. It's a great way to achieve that thrift-store look without the unpleasant feeling of wearing used clothes. Yeah, I guess my love for putting together an ensemble is girly enough, but the way I dress isn't as such. (I do wear girls' pants, though)

Chenjiringu
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Feb 2011, 1:23 pm

I'm fairly old fashion and/or childlike girly girl. Like Hello Kitty, lolita dresses and want to be cute and weak/innocent.
Fortunatly mu boyfriend loves that.

Xuxa
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Feb 2011, 9:39 am

My day-to-day "uniform" is baggy jeans, a t-shirt and crocs (I have rheumatoid arthritis so other shoes tend to hurt) with no makeup and my hair pulled back. When I was younger I left my hair down so I could hide behind it, but as I've gotten older I've developed an aversion to having it touch my face. I tried keeping it short, but it required too much maintenance. I get my hair cut at most once a year. I wear makeup on rare occasions, like if I know my mother is going to insist on taking pictures of me despite my protests. I do, however, have two pieces of jewelry that I wear at all times. One is a silver Claddagh bracelet and the other is a Welsh love spoon pendant. Those never come off.

Oddly enough, I was the one who insisted on my sister and I being allowed to wear makeup. I was thirteen and she was sixteen at the time. All the other girls in school were starting to wear makeup and I wanted to fit in. I continued to wear it through high school, until I realized that it wasn't helping me fit in any better.

"I'm already out of foolproof ideas so don't ask me how to get started, it's all uncharted. Each day I'm countin' up the minutes till I get alone 'cause I can't stay in the middle of it all" Sara Bareilles, "Uncharted"

DeusMechanicus

16 Feb 2011, 12:01 pm

tomboy611 wrote:
I don't wear makeup, ever. I wear a t-shirt or jersey with jeans or sweats. Sneakers, no high heels.
I believe that makeup and high heels teach that you're not enough.
I shave only once a year if ever. I probably look like the wookie lol jk

I concur!

allgirlusa
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Feb 2011, 3:04 pm

I am a "yes, everyday 4 or more products person." That's not to say that I have a ton of color or cakey makeup look. I love clothing, fashion, shoes, jewelry, handbags and makeup. As an adult I like to feel attractive and look girly. As a child I did not, I was a tomboy (tangled hair, skinned knees, covered in dirt at the end of the day) with the exception of being a Barbie fanatic.

The contridiction between the way I look and the way I act became apparant in high school. I believe people generally underestimated my intelligence due to my looks. People who were around me in class or talked to me say they felt intimidated by me. People who didn't know me figured I got by on my looks.

Being attractive and intelligent and Aspie is a total nighmare. I was very, very lonely for a long time. I landed my husband because he appreciates my looks and my intelligence but my Aspie traits make marriage difficult.

YellowBanana
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2011, 3:28 pm

I never wear make up.
The only jewellery I regularly wear aremy wedding ring and engagement ring.
I wear jeans with high waist and straight legs & t-shirt & loose jumper/sweatshirt/cardigan/hoody all the time (including at work)
Or instead of jeans, very loose cotton trousers with an elastic waistband if I am at home.
Trainers/walking shoes or plimsols or "walking sandals" on my feet.
I have short hair - maybe about 2cm all over (head!).
I am going grey but I don't cover it up.
If I'm not going anywhere I don't see the point of tidying my hair - it stays in whatever mess it is when I get up - but I do tidy it up for work or if I am going out with a friend (though sometimes if I'm going out I'll often just put a hat on instead).
My pits get shaved relatively regularly (maybe once a week or so? not sure).
My legs ... rarely. No one sees them. Sometimes for my husband :)
Often get told when going to use restrooms that "the gents is over there".
Definitely NOT a girly girl.

I used to wear a skirt at school but only because I had to.
I try to make an effort if I'm going to someone's wedding or whatever - I have one skirt and top for this kind of event but I feel ridiculously uncomfortable. I still don't wear makeup. I may try some stud earrings and/or a necklace but I often remove them early on because I fiddle with them too much.

ADoyle90815
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Feb 2011, 8:44 pm

I wear mineral foundation, some blush, mascara, and lipstick or tinted lip balm. It's a rare thing for me to wear dresses as I prefer slacks and jeans. I do wear earrings, and on occasion, I might wear a necklace, but not that often. I prefer sandals in the summer, and Ugg style boots in the winter. I don't like high heels that much, so I tend to wear flats more often. My hair is shoulder length, as it's a good length for me and I can pull it back for work or going to the gym, or leave it down. The last time I wore a dress was for my mom's wedding where I was her maid of honor.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2011, 12:01 pm

I'm not girly, but I do sometimes have girly moments.
I wear make-up on rare occasions like meeting a few friends, I rarely wear jewellery unless I have a new necklace or bracelet that I like then I keep it on constantly. I don't really wear a lot of skirts or vest tops, not when it's not summer at least so I don't shave often.

likeasorethumb
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Feb 2011, 8:53 pm

Oh, boy... I have a small tidbit about when I was 10.

I hated all things girly except Miley Cyrus, who was popular at the time (about 3 yrs. ago) and I wore boy's clothes. Honestly, I would shop in the boy's section and pick out shirts and shorts. I was actually against girls. At school, when most of them ran to the window to look at "the guy walking his puppy! ZOMG!!" I would just stay sitting. Most girls weren't into Tamagotchi's either, but I sure was. I like that time of my life, I was pretty comfortable with who I was. Now, middle school years are harder : \

I'm still not all girly. I am not in guy clothes anymore, but I don't like many other things than a tshirt and jeans. I've always been that way. The only jewlery I'll wear is my cat necklace and rope/tie-able bracelets.

NatureFantasy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Feb 2011, 10:31 pm

iwannabeadragon wrote:
I don't think I'm super "girly" but I don't know if that has to do with being an aspie or if it's just because that's the way I am. I''m not super girly in the sense that I don't really fuss over my hair, I rarely wear make-up (and I if do, it's just eyeliner.) I also mostly wear boys jeans and such. But I don't think I'm a "tom boy" per say, because I'm not really into sports, and I still like girly movies. I just think I'm in the middle.

Same here. I'm definitely a geeky nerd, and proud of it! I wear 1-3 products on extremely special ocasions, such as prom or my B'nei Mitzvah. I only buy vegan, fair-trade makeup. I have a cute, casual and comfy yet professional style. I never follow trends. I have my hair angled with slight layers, but it's very low-maintenance. I'm an artistic, plalyful, nature-oriented intellectual with strong morals. I design jewelry, read, hike, swim a ton and get straight A's.

Xuxa
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Feb 2011, 7:46 am

likeasorethumb, you got me thinking back to when I was ten. I liked finding pretty rocks and bringing them home and it never occurred to me that picking up rocks wasn't "normal" for a girl until I accidentally left some in my pocket and they got into my laundry. My father saw them and said, "Son, you forgot your rocks." I stopped bringing home rocks after that and tried to be more girly. When it came time to shop for an Easter dress, I insisted on the laciest, frilliest, girliest dress I tried on. My mother tried to talk me out of it but I wouldn't budge. She told me I would have to wear it at least five times, even if I decided I didn't like it once I got it home -- knowing I wouldn't like wearing it. Of course, she was right. It was so itchy and restrictive! I was fidgety and uncomfortable through the whole church service and was so annoyed when I couldn't climb the tree the grew behind the church later. My mom stuck to her guns and made me wear it to church four more times. Lesson learned. It was comfortable clothes only from then on.

"I'm already out of foolproof ideas so don't ask me how to get started, it's all uncharted. Each day I'm countin' up the minutes till I get alone 'cause I can't stay in the middle of it all" Sara Bareilles, "Uncharted"