How old were you when you were diagnosed?

Page 5 of 7 [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

bewitched
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Jan 2011, 1:48 pm

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2011, 2:35 am

I had read about AS when I was 31 and suspected I might have it, but I couldn't find any professionals who knew anything about it so I just kind of let it drop at the time. Now I wish I had pursued it more thoroughly at the time, or known how to pursue it.

mizplazed
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

13 Jan 2011, 1:31 am

And I wish it had been sooner.

While i can respect others' opinions for not wanting to know, I feel that an earlier diagnoses in my teens would have prevented and saved me from many serious events in my life: rape, abortion; violent relationships.

When you are born an AS female, you are still raised as female. The AS guys - well it is all right if they act a little weird or don't want to play with dolls or don't want to give kisses and hugs to the visiting relatives. But a girl-child in our culture -- it is still not alllowed. You are raised to be social. You are raised to want to be cute and gregarious and cuddly and effervescent. But you know inside that you are not like everyone else. You are so busy trying to fit in as your family and culture want you to, or puzzling over what is going on around you, you are inevitably being set up to fail.

As a mother, you are bringing these questions to this forum of her 'peers'; you are trying your best to help her. While respecting her wishes, you are still her mother and responsible for her welfare until she is 18 years old. You wouldn't let her drive drunk or do drugs, so why would you let her go into the world unaware of what she doesn't know or can't know due to her AS?

Even the "smartest" of us will make really stupid mistakes. I know because I was one of those "smartest" who, without that self-preservation instinct and ability to read people, would invariably make bad decisions time and time again. Sometimes those stupid mistakes can be extremely dangerous and sometimes your luck runs out.

We don't have the capabilities to pick out the "bad" people the same way NTs can. And for young girls --- I just think it is a danger and risk.

Mercurial
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2011, 1:48 am

My late 20's. I should have been--and wish I had been--dx'd earlier, too. Like mizplazed said, I think it would have spared me some of things i went through, including some of the abuse.

slovaksiren
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2011, 12:21 pm

I was diagnosed when I was five years old... wow... Some of you were diagnosed really late...

Aquamarine_Kitty
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Jan 2011, 9:37 pm

slovaksiren wrote:
I was diagnosed when I was five years old... wow... Some of you were diagnosed really late...

My thoughts too.

My supposed diagnosis of autistic disorder was when I was seven. (There is some reason to believe that I was not 'fully' diagnosed.) I'll be looking into this soon to either confirm this is true, or to get reevaluated, so that age could change to 21/22.

Ashuahhe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2011, 9:08 pm

I was discovered I had Aspergers when I was 18. It was quite shocking for me at first but then again I wasn't surprised.

MelyssaK
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Feb 2011, 8:39 pm

Afterthought of my message: I had not originally intended to make this as long and detailed as it turned out to be, but once I began typing, a floodgate of memories opened of the symptoms I displayed as a young child. Sorry for the long, drawn out message.

I was diagnosed at age 8. Asperger's, ADHD, OCD, and depression all at the same time. "Passive agressive" was even thrown into the mix.
When I was in pre-school, I would throw extremely violent temper tantrums of hitting (even adults,) screaming, and running away. I would have to be chased around and restrained by being held down or even sat on (not roughly,) just because of the fact that I exhibited severe rage. That was one of the first hints that someone was "wrong" with me. I had other issues, like being really bossy when playing with other girls when we played with our Barbie's. I much preferred digging for bugs and playing cops and robbers and building blocks with the boys. Reverse psychology never worked on me, and neither did time out. The other thing that got me in line was my 6'3" father glaring at me or yelling at me. And it never worked for long. Once, when I was sent to my room as punishment for something, I refused to stay in my room, so my parents locked the door. Well, I got so angry at that, that I repeatedly tried to open and close the door and I actually ripped the lock off the door. It was one of those hook and eye type locks.
But I would retain a tremendous amount of information and details on topics that had to do with science, and could even hold a moderately intelligent conversation with an adult about such topics. I never spoke in baby sentences or sounded too much like a baby when I spoke. My parents said I was speaking in full sentences by the time I was two and a half and that I annunciated well.
I don't remember this myself, but my mom told me that when she would ask me why I acted the way I did or why I did what I did (after she picked me up from pre-school on a day when I had a rage fit) I would tell her, "It's not me, Mommy, it's my brain. I can't help it." I think that was the very first thing that let me parents know they needed to get help for me to find out what was causing me to act how I did.
Also, when I would draw, the level of detail I included was far above that of a four-year-old. (councelor/therapist later stated this) I would include circles for knee caps and red circles on the ends of stick fingers that were my representation of nail polish. I never left teeth white because I knew teeth were not perfectly white (I guess that's why I did it, now that I think back on it.) And I drew teeth looking like jagged rectangles in the mouth sticking out at odd angles.
At age 7 I became obsessed with cetaceans (whales, dolphins, and porpoises.) I got books on them at the library and actually drew a picture of each of the 86 (if I remember correctly) species. I could talk about them for hours but no one was ever interested enough. I also obessed over learning about the planets, dinosaurs, and volcanoes.
When I watched movies with my family, and something that realistically could not happen occurred in the movie, I would ask how that was possible or why it happened. The answer I always got was, "It's just a movie. It's not meant to be thought about that way. Just enjoy it." I would make my parents play the Little Mermaid up to five or more times in a row (so I've been told) on weekends and get up and dance and sing every time. They got sick of it but always played the movie again for me.
I also had my bedtime ritual of singing my nursey rhymes before I could go to sleep: Hickory Dickory Dock, the one with "in the kitchen with Dinah", Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star, and several others. I would not let my mom or dad, whoever was singing them with me that night, leave before we said them all. If they forgot one, I would tell them the one they forgot and we would sing it. Then I would be up until 11 pm thinking about stuff, unable to sleep because my brain kept thinking of random things and vivid scenes of..."stuff" would play like a movie in my head. I never even remembered falling asleep because I never consciously closed my eyes. I was aslways awake, and next thing I knew, mom was waking me up. The only way I fell asleep was when I was too exhausted to keep my eyes open. But having my cats curled up on my pillow above my head and purring always helped me relax.
I will stop babbling now. I suppose some of those are the things that led my parents to get me tested. It is a good thing thay did, because I was a very angry and depressed child.
Sorry, that was very long and involved. Probably more than you were looking for. But once I started typing, I could not stop. I started remembering things I had forgotten about for so many years. Then I would remember something else.

Best of luck to you and your daughter. But why is she in denial? Does she know exactly what Asperger's is?

wefunction
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2011, 9:08 pm

smudgy25 wrote:
Hi, this question may have been asked before but I am wondering how old you were when you received your diagnosis of AS?

I was 32.

I could have been diagnosed at 14 if my mother hadn't run scared from a neurologist who suspected there was something else to my "migraines" than the petite mal epilepsy my mother pre-diagnosed me with. She found a doctor who gave the diagnosis she approved of and I ate a low dose of Tegretal unnecessarily for years while still experiencing my "migraines". She preferred that she have a "rude, lazy daughter with petite mal epilepsy" than allow me to go into counseling with a psychiatrist to discover what my problems really are.

I love moms who are open to, interested in, and supportive of their children. It's the way it should be. The more I see it, the more I'm reassured that the next generation is going to turn out better than we did.

Ashuahhe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2011, 12:34 am

I was diagnosed at 7 years old but my parents never told me this until I discovered it myself at 18 years old by accident one day. I knew I was weird and I always had a teachers aid to help me with my school work and other things like that. I didn't understand why I wasn't making friends very well. When I look back at my childhood, it all makes sense to me now

aspiefeminist

07 Feb 2011, 1:11 am

Saw multiple psychologists and other people as a kid and nobody knew what was wrong with me.

At age 16 I was fully tested and diagnosed with NVLD. Then, when I was in college (at ~20) I was finally diagnosed with Aspergers.

JadeEyes
Toucan
Toucan

15 Feb 2011, 3:49 pm

i was 19 when i was diagnosed and i still have doubts about having AS, because there are times when i understand jokes/understatements/body language with little to no thought behind it. Is it because i have a milder form, or is it becaue i KNOW these people that i understand the "language" of?

vegangypsie
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Feb 2011, 7:51 pm

I am 28 now and just left a message with my HMO's ADS assessment center today that I want to get assessed. I want to get some specific help, since I have never gotten that much out of the shrinks that I saw for depression. I think it would be more helpful to get some coaching on coping skills specific to AS. I had a bad review at work that sparked the whole thing, but also want to be a better wife to my husband. I suspect they might find some ADD as well, if it is a thorough test for everything neuro-atypical.

mightypen515
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Feb 2011, 12:41 am

FaeryEthereal
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Feb 2011, 2:34 am

I got diagnosed a few weeks ago and I'm 35

shaybugz
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Feb 2011, 1:48 pm

Not yet diagnosed, but I'm 22 and seeking a diagnosis.

In my teens a had a friend who was diagnosed bipolar, and she would swear up and down that I was too... though not everything fits.... When I heard about asperger's though, about 6 months ago, it did all make sense. Which was weird. When I read things like Aspies are overheard saying thoughts like "I just don't belong on this planet" or "I feel like a 20 year old stuck in a 15 year-old's body" I couldn't believe it because I had said those things for most of my life.

I'm replying though because for me, I wish someone had diagnosed me when I was younger. Fifth grade would have been good, as to the best of my memory that was when I started thinking that there was something "different" about me.

However, as others have stated, I would leave it up to your daughter. Make sure she has the resources to learn about AS (books, maybe roam around on this site) and don't push a diagnosis.