18 Jan 2011, 10:28 am

Neither have I really, just needy.

emlion
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2011, 10:30 am

murphycop wrote:
Neither have I really, just needy.

I think i'd prefer possessive over needy.
I can't stand it, I need someone strong and confident.

murphycop
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2011, 10:41 am

I'd rather have neither, and just someone who's driven.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

18 Jan 2011, 5:52 pm

murphycop wrote:
If i'm called dear, its usually by a family member, loved one or an elderly person. Anyone who is offended by the word (not you), seems to just be looking to making a fuss over absolutely nothing, maybe even acting like a troll? :roll:

None of my family members call me that.

Is anyone in this thread offended?

murphycop
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2011, 6:08 pm

Yeah, like I said, the first few posters on page 1 are.

Rose_in_Winter
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2011, 10:17 pm

I used to dislike the word. Not because of "ladylike" but because of the whole "ladies who lunch" image. Then I joined a discussion board called EQWomen -- it started off as a place for women gamers to talk about EverQuest in a mature fashion. We had lots of male posters, too, though it was mostly women. These were women who typically had male friends and male interests -- just like me! It expanded to include many more games, and gaming of all kinds. There were many other topics, too. The thing is, a lot of the women on this board referred to us as "ladies." At first I cringed, but eventually my attitude changed, as none of us were especially "ladylike" or "ladies who lunch" types. The theme of the board was that we were women who loved to game and liked knowing other women who shared their interest...and the use of the term "ladies" seemed to bond us into a community. The board is no longer in existence (LJ killed it, then FB killed LJ), but ever since being one of the Ladies of EQWomen, I no longer mind the term. I have good associations with it now!

tomboywriter101
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

Location: In my writing, where things are the way I want them

22 Jan 2011, 10:23 pm

[quote="murphycop"]I think its pretty pathetic for a woman to be offended by the word "lady". The kind of people that are, seem to be on a quest to find as many words they can, that offend them. Maybe you should tell a woman from Iran, that you're offended by the word, and they'd probably attack you.[/quote]

Women from America/other place similar in the culture of feminism are different from women in Iran. We grow up in different cultures. They may like being called lady because they might associate it with being classy and sophisticated. However, I tend to associate it with stereotypical rules that I hate following, such as "No burping" and "You should wear make-up". I also tend to associate it with being owned. Same with the word "Broad". Broad is worse, though, because it degrades us to our bodies. "Lady" means we have to behave a certain way to be accepted, which I am not willing to follow.

Agree: 4,6,13,16,18,19,20,22,39,41,45: 1 point
Disagree: 1,3,10,11,14,17,27,30,32,36,38,44,47,48,49: 1 point
Score: 26

murphycop
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2011, 9:17 am

If I call someone a lady, i'm not thinking that at all.

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2011, 1:52 pm

It doesn't really matter whether you're thinking that when you use it, it'll still be offending to a person who takes it that way.

-------------------------------------

I can see why a woman would dislike it too, I associate it with that kind of stuff, myself. If I were a woman, I wouldn't want anything to do with that 'lady etiquette' crap that was forced upon them long ago. That includes words. That may just be me though.

murphycop
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2011, 2:08 pm

I think there's enough words that people find offensive, in this hideous PC society, without dear or lady added to that list.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

23 Jan 2011, 2:44 pm

The entire idea of "political correctness" in that context isn't even valid. It's mostly a bunch of people getting angry because they can't handle the idea that it's not cool to verbally express their prejudices as natural and thus immune to interrogation.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2011, 3:39 pm

Ai_Ling wrote:
Anyone else have a problem with the word lady? I know in most contexts it just means women but to me lady has different connotations then just women. Its like the word, "lady-like", it has a more feminine, gender specific connotations. To me its a word that frames the type of behavior I as a women should ideally exhibit. And I dont like that. It kinda bothers me when Im with female friends where theres all females, and they like to refer to themselves as "lovely ladies" or something. Most commonly on fb when theres an pic with all females, theres sometimes a caption about them being ladies and stuff. Idk, I just have a problem with this word, cause often Im not very lady-like. I do exhibit some of female like behavior, I dont feel refined and stuff nor do I care for any gender specific refining. Yet I have that label pinned on me cause Im female and decently groomed in a gender appropriate look. This has nothing to do with the way I actually am. Maybe Im reading too much into this word, I just dont care for it.

Not really offended. I've been called worse names.

I do understand taking certain words given as labels to the extent of feeling the way you do. I'm not sure why but I hate it whenever someone makes a nasty comment with my gender attached. I don't know why this is but the reaction is much more intense than if someone were just to say something negative to me without my gender being the issue. I hate the idea of being judged simply because of my gender. I think I may have issues with the way most of society views "females" in general. There seems to always be a insidious or shameful role attached to being female. Maybe I'm just reflecting only on the negative of my gender who knows.

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2011, 8:52 pm

Ok, just to clarify things, I am not offended by this word, I just dont care for it is basically it. It emphasizes gender steriotypes to me of refinement. I mean the male equivalent is gentlemen, how come I dont hear that word used as much?? Cause guys arent expected to be all refined and crap nearly as much. Sure theres some expectation for them to have the basics of social ettiquete but not nearly as much emphasis. Honestly, Im not that refined with all this social ettiquete crap, Im probably have as much social ettiquete as your average guy or possibly even less.