does anyone have "arts and crafts" obsessions?

Page 6 of 7 [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

moud
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Feb 2010, 5:02 am

I love sewing and a little stiching.
I am very new to it but a friend of mine was really amazed what I can do. :D

Heliobacter20
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Feb 2010, 1:46 am

OMG, yes! Drives my husband batty because it tends to take over the house. Sewing, painting, knitting, making stuff in general. Also would like to get into wood working more. I just love to make things with my hands! Oddly enough, this really comes in handy for nursing as my manual dexterity is tops for a lot of procedures that require it.

Whisper
Toucan
Toucan

09 Mar 2010, 6:34 pm

Heliobacter20 wrote:
OMG, yes! Drives my husband batty because it tends to take over the house.

Haha, I can relate to that. My fabric piles have a tendancy of creeping out to invade any other space unless they're carefully managed.

Isabella
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Mar 2010, 8:42 pm

Oh yes! I definitely have a 'crafty' side. I used to love sewing when I was younger, but now I channel my creativity into doing cross-stitching. I especially like drawing out my own patterns on the computer. I would love to get one of those x-stitch pattern making programs, too bad their so expensive. I have to use PSP atm.

Cricket2731
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Mar 2010, 10:19 pm

WOW! I had no idea so many had obsessions with arts/crafts! All these years, I had just thought of it/them as a hobby!

I've done embroidery of various kinds off & on over the years.

My Nana got me started on knitting when I was little--maybe 1st grade? I taught myself to crochet in high school.

Ceramics--who doesn't like to play in the mud? And get school credit for it as well? (When I was in art school, I would spend up to 40 hrs/week in the studio, working on my projects. This in addtion to full time classes, AND 2 part-time jobs!)

I had a weird thing happen in Oct '09. I was hauled out of work on a gurney to the ER--chest pains. I *insisted* that my knitting come with me. The EMT's thought the request a little odd, but allowed it. (Turns out I all I had was a severe anxiety attack.)

What I find annoying to no end is that my district manager doesn't like me to knit during my free time :evil: What he either doesn't realize or refuses to acknowledge is that I find knitting relaxing; it's cheaper than drugs & not at all mind altering like RX's can be. I've never gotten any complaints from my customers. In fact, I've even got compliments & occasionally, a request for a pattern! My co-workers have commissioned work as well as requested instructions!

wigglyspider
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2010, 7:18 am

Yes, me!! :D
I'm even making a doll right now too! XD
All I ever did in school was draw all day, lol.
Art is the BEST.

Valoyossa
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2010, 2:03 pm

I like to draw, but I don't have enough control in my hands to f.e. sewing or sculptures. I want to touch, but I break. I can't even use scissors for more than cut sth.

----
My Industrial Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBo5K0ZQIEY

beautifuloblivion
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2010, 6:57 pm

krex wrote:
Making things out of wool has become my strongest and longest lasting craft obsession......Did you know that you could sculpt animals out of a pile of sheep wool with nothing but a little barbed needle ....?

http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

Those are amazing :).

I have always loved crafts. Drawing, painting, sewing clothes, knitting, even making wine jewelry... I think working with my hands is my niche.

Cormorant
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Mar 2010, 7:52 pm

When I was a kid, I loved dolls. But not playing with them. The whole point to me was making clothes- sewing, knitting, embroidering, making paper dolls. I hear that SOME people act out human interactions with them but that never occurred to me :)
I have had many other craft hobbies:
beading
clay
polymer clay
drawing and painting
mosaics
decoupage
smocking
dollmaking
origami

spunkykitty
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Apr 2010, 5:46 am

origami since age 3, i still love folding paper
model airplanes
model houses
beading
knitting
crotchet
interior decor of all kinds
woodwork
jewellery - metal smithing included
rocks
gems
video
photography
all kinds of sculpture with mixed media
painting
drawing
cooking
knotting
etc etc

ok well, i became an artist-muscian, and now engaged in intense research on mixed media multisensory art creation and material thinking issues...

JustMe
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Apr 2010, 12:27 pm

I'm always working on something. A good rule of thumb for my apartment, especially my room, is that if it looks the least bit homemade, I probably made it. Mostly I crochet, but when I'm out of yarn or in between projects I have a cross-stitch project I started in '01 (my goal is to finish it sometime this decade). I also do a bit of sewing and quilting. (Is it odd that I have more homemade dresses and skirts than storebought, and that all of the blankets on my bed are homemade?) I also like to scrapbook, but as I never take pictures and don't even own a camera, I haven't done any of that since hs. I'd like to take up basketweaving, but I'm having a hard time finding anywhere that sells the supplies and patterns. Jewelry making also sounds fun.

greenlandgem
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Apr 2010, 4:06 pm

I love crocheting, knitting and sewing. Apart from these, my artistic abilities are nil: give me a pencil and ask me to draw something and I'm likely to stare blankly at the paper for half an hour. Give me a ball of yarn and a crochet hook and I'll make a hat in one sitting, or plonk me down at a sewing machine and I'll stay up all night designing my own swimsuit. I think if the craft is "practical" and makes something I will use and wear, then suddenly my mind slips into gear. I enjoy the near-mindlessness of such things; I can sit for hours with music or television playing in the background, and though it is relaxing and quiet, I am busy doing something and not fretting.

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

10 Apr 2010, 10:52 am

I love art and grown to love crafts. When I was in art college, I saw craft as sub-art, but I have evolved since then. I have discovered that some crafts are better than art because they are useful. What are you going to do with a painting or a sculpture becides dust it? I used to believe that visual art had the ability to transform the viewer perception, but I have to admit since then, I am jaded. Most people are not capable of that kind of sencitivity.

But with crafts, I have found are every bit as creative and sometimes even more difficult. One might argue that painting realism is harder than spinning fiber to yarn, but I am here to say the opposite is true. Painting realism is an illusion, and like a magician there are tricks to the trade to create the illusion of a three dimensional object on a two dimensional surface. With spinning, that takes fine motor skills in hands and rhythm in feet...as well as strength and fluidity in the hands.

So here is what I do
yarn wrapped rope coiled basketry (my fave)
learning to spin
just learned basketweaving
painting/watercolor
photography
fiber sculpture
learned to make a broom
various 3D projects
wanting to learn to weave

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2010, 3:18 pm

I used to sew obsessively. And knit. And I got really into Scandinavian knitting techniques and motifs. I can drape and make patterns, but I've barely been able to bring myself to hem a pair of pants lately. I made my own wedding dress.

Right now, no I'm into nothing crafty. I can't stand to look at any of that stuff anymore. Go figure. In fact, I'm going to go get that junk out of my sight this very minute...

pippilngstkngpr
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 May 2010, 3:18 am

My whole life I love arts and crafts.

Digital Photography.
Drawing (pencil, charcoal)
Painting (acrylic, watercolor- will do oil soon)
Doodling
Coloring
Writing poetry
Sewing
Now I want to make my own stuffed creatures.
Card making
Decorating
Designing rooms or whatever it may be on paper

I love arts and crafts and will forever since I have my whole life.

pheonix
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 May 2010, 4:17 pm

:D Yes, I'm completely obssessed with Art to such an extent that I have spent most of my life either doing it or teaching it. I have taught virtually every type of art and craft. I could write an essay on the subject but if I start I won't stop. All I've got to say on the subject is opposites = energy and the elements of art and the theory of creativity are inspiring!