i can't stand make-up-- is this an aspie thing?

Page 7 of 8 [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

tomboy4good
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2008, 10:33 am

I don't mind wearing makeup if it's light. Typically, i wear blush, eye shadow, & mascara (only product I use consistently, even if I am riding my bike). I don't use lipsticks or gloss very often, too messy & sticky. I despise heavy foundations that make my face feel like it's melting & sliding off. Not a good sensation!

I do use Bare Minerals, but am also trying less expensive versions. I don't like spending a lot of money on makeup. My skin is very sensitive & I haven't had a lot of luck with any foundation that truly feels comfortable. I wear it only because I have such horrible skin.

Aspie Score: 173/200, NT score 31/200: very likely an Aspie
5/18/11: New Aspie test: 72/72
DX: Anxiety plus ADHD/Aspergers: inconclusive

darkwhispersdale
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Sep 2008, 5:13 pm

I don't like wearing make-up it makes my skin feel like its crawling off my face (apparently I also hold my head strange when wearing it according to friends and family) and perfume makes me feel sick.

I also find that it tends to make me come out with a rash of spots the day after wearing it no matter how long I took to remove it.

Aurore
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2008, 10:37 pm

I hate makeup. I mean, I like making myself look weird, but I generally hate that stuff on my face, or the feeling I have to do it to be beautiful. Though I once did give myself huge raccoon eyes with black eyeshadow for a week or two. I was trying to look like Harley Quinn from Batman.

apprivoiser
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Sep 2008, 12:27 am

I need and love my routine -I use moisturizer, under-eye consealer, lipstick as cheek rouge, lipstick, and eyeliner on my top lid only; all applied once a day in the morning. The makeup I use and my dose of perfume usually wears off during the first 3 hours of my day.
I have always admired women who can pull off wearing lots of makeup; foundation, massacre and shadow does not look good on my face. I have one of those faces where less is more. Yes, and I agree with all ya'll - it feels gross, pieces of massacre and shadow powder ends up in the eyes. I swear, my mind works to amplify feelings like these.

Pook
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Sep 2008, 11:03 am

Anyone find a good remedy for dark undereye circles? I've always had them and have tried quite a few products from the drugstore to the healthfood store places. Right now Im trying a product by Avon that is suppossed to lighten the dark skin.

alien842
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

07 Sep 2008, 7:54 pm

I guess I'm in the minority, but I love makeup! One of my favorite things in the morning is taking the time to put it on, and I also love playing around with new looks. I like how it's the fastest and easiest way to feel like a new person.

pinkbowtiepumps
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2008, 11:04 pm

Pook wrote:
Anyone find a good remedy for dark undereye circles? I've always had them and have tried quite a few products from the drugstore to the healthfood store places. Right now Im trying a product by Avon that is suppossed to lighten the dark skin.

I don't know how severe your undereye circles are, and you probably want a treatment and not a way to hide them, but in the meantime, Physician's Formula has some really good concealers (look for the ones in the tube) that can help cover up imperfections. I just use the skintone one for my acne and undereye circles, but I know they make a yellow one that works really well (the yellow cancels out blue and purple tones under the eyes - I'd put foundation over it, though). What I do is put a small dab of the concealer on each ring finger, then gently apply it in a sliding motion it from the inner corner of the eye out, following the undereye circle. Afterwards I just blend it a little bit and apply some powder over it, and it works pretty well. Hope this helped!

musicforanna
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2008, 4:36 pm

I couldn't wear makeup everyday because it'd drive me crazy.

However, if I were to, I like the powder makeup better. Specifically I put on moisturizer, and then concealer, the powder mineral foundation, mascara, powder eyeshadow, powder blush, and every once in a while my eyeliner (if I do wear it, I don't like to wear it often) which is the kind that it's a self-sharpening cream pencil stick but I think I'll get something drier next time, the only liquidy stuff I wear is my mascara (and I hate it when mascaras are gummy feeling), lip stick, and concealer. For most part I loathe liquid makeup. So unless it's lipgloss, lipstick, concealor, mascara, forget the sticky eyeshadow, blush sticks, liquid foundation, etc.

AngryReptileKeeper
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Oct 2008, 3:07 pm

I can't stand makeup, either. I always found it to feel suffocating, greasy and unnatural. I haven't actively worn makeup since my early teens. I did try it a few years back, though, and hated it. I put it on, and promptly went to scrub my face.

I never got the point of makeup. Everyone says the point is to look natural. Well, if natural is what people want, then why the hell are they putting harsh chemical paint all over themselves? That doesn't look natural! it looks plastic!

BastetsEye
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Dec 2008, 3:28 pm

I've could probably count the times I've had make up on on my hands. One or twice when I was a pre teen due to peer pressure. Once or twice when I was a teenager trying to be like everyone else. And once when my mums friend wanted to put it on my to show how pretty I'd look.

Each time it's been so uncomfortable Its been years between each time. (mainly I hate mascara, I hate blinking that much)

Now adays I've come to the belief that there's something false about make up, your projecting a image that isn't you. It's false advertising.

Besides if you met someone you'd always be scared that once they saw you with out it he'd be horrified.

I don't need it, I'm gorgeous without it! (kidding!!)

Julia_the_Great
Toucan
Toucan

12 Dec 2008, 11:27 pm

I never really enjoyed it. I tried wearing it when I was twelve, but it always just itched and was uncomfortable. These days, if I try to wear it, it gets my eye tics going for some reason.

Hovis
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2008, 11:32 am

I've never worn makeup in my life. I wouldn't even know how to apply it.

My view of makeup is that if people just want to wear it as an optional extra, that's fine - entirely up to them - but it's a bad situation when women should be expected to paint themselves just to look presentable.

squeaker
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Dec 2008, 2:06 am

I am soooooo glad I am not the only one that finds make-up annoying. When I was younger I use to wear it, of course my mom had alot of influence in my choice to wear it. As I got older I started to wear it less. I feel like I am wearing a layer of clay on my face with the foundation, than the powder, than blush etc. I hardly wear make-up at all except for certain occasions or my mom bugs me about it and that I would look better with it. I just want who ever I meet to like me for who I am outside, not covering my natural beauty with clay. I can do a light coat of powder to dull the red on my face that is about it for me.

angelgirl1224
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2008, 6:18 pm

yes i like makeup although i dont wear that much.. just concealer, lipgloss, mascara .. Sometimes powder or blush... And eye shadow if im going out somwhere special..
Like nail polish too but barely use it myself because its to hard to paint the other hand!
Dont wear eyeliner its too hard to apply!
Dont wear foundation, or bronzer its horrible!
Dont wear lip liner its to hard to apply and is horrible anyways..
never use fake eyelashers therre horrible

I hate ppl caked in it though.. it looks so unnatural.. theres nothing wrong with a bit of natural beauty!! !
xxxxxxxxx

irene
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Dec 2008, 7:05 pm

I never thought that not using make up was an Aspie thing. When I worked in an office I used the stuff for a short while. Then one morning I accidently stuck the mascara brush in my eye and that was basically the end of my use of the stuff.

But I never used lipstick. Always found the stuff annoying on my mouth.

Sometimes when I am out and see that most women use makeup I kind of feel as though maybe I should. Usually immediately after that I remember all the work required to remove the s--t from my face.

Now I just make sure that I have a moisturer on my face so that it doesn't start to itch from being too dry.

gypsyrose
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Dec 2008, 3:50 pm

Thank God I'm not the only woman on the planet who doesn't wear makeup. In American culture it's unthinkable for a woman not to put something on her face every day--well, call me a square peg. I just can't do it. It feels like I'm trying to be someone that I'm not. Is that ridiculous?

If it's a special occasion, then I might wear it just to feel less awkward. Or I'll wear it if the spirit moves me. Otherwise I won't bother with it. Not even for church. Funny thing is, I have a nice bag at home with all the basics. It just sits there. To me, makeup is a luxury item, a nonessential that Americans think is essential, like their daily $5 latte or credit card.

Is it normal for Aspie women to avoid makeup for philosophical reasons?