Page 7 of 8 [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

ghouna
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Oct 2008, 2:55 pm

I get the same reaction. "why dont you show off your beauty?"

Why would i do that? It is funny because if we are modest, it is weird...

(¸.·´ (¸.·´ .·´ ¸¸.·¨¯`·.`.~*

Being me is great!

legendoftheselkie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Oct 2008, 12:48 am

I guess when some people say ''freedom'', what they mean is freedom to show off your body, not the freedom to dress it with honor.

The trouble with being an etymologist is that people keep bringing you bugs to look at.

M02
Raven
Raven

13 Oct 2008, 7:58 am

It is strange the reaction that a little piece of cloth on your head can cause.

People will ask me why I wear long skirts are the time. I don't like people looking at my butt, the shape of my thighs and my legs. It does not feel modest to me to wear pants. I am not ashamed of my body. I just don't think that I need to be on public viewing.

On the subject of headcoverings. I think that wearing a good looking headscarf is important. Once I saw a woman wearing what looked like a cloth diaper on her head. Other times I see women wearing some raggy cloth that is not hemmed properly. This is not like "oh, I had to throw a dish towel to put out the trash". These people were out in public on the bus, in shopping malls. Scarfs are not so expensive that a women could not have a few pretty ones to wear with different outfits. Underscarves are not difficult to make even. Some girls use t-shirts and cut off the part above the sleeves.

Another thing about covering up but not being modest such as sheer headcovering without any underscarf. If people are just wearing it over their head loosely and not worrying about any hair showing ok. If it is wrapped and pinned around Arab style, what is the point? Or the girls wearing a headscarf covering all their hair, neck, ears but wearing the tight jeans and tight shirt?

I think long tunic style tops are better to wear with pants. Shalwar kameez is good but there needs to be a lining or panel between the legs. If someone standing with the light behind them, you will be able to see the outline of their legs and body. Men sometimes find that more sexy than a mini skirt. A long skirt with a petticoat or pants underneath might be the best option. I sew my own petticoats from cotton fabric.

legendoftheselkie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Oct 2008, 12:17 pm

Right on about the raggedy looking headscarves! When I was a kid a lot of women went around in public with a head full of big, pink curlers. My mom would always say to me, ''Where can she be going tonight that's so important that she has to go out in public like that?''
You may not be beautiful, and you may not have a lot of money, but it's important to try to dress with some kind of pride. You can shop in thrift stores and find something decent.
In my neighborhood it's considered preferable to wear a wig instead of a scarf or hat. Some women who really can't afford wigs for everyday wear go around looking like an animal died on their heads. I'll stick with my scarf, thank you! And everybody knows you're covered.

The trouble with being an etymologist is that people keep bringing you bugs to look at.

ghouna
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Oct 2008, 3:04 pm

I dont understand the wig thing... Could you explain it to me? Because i know jewish ladies cover their hair, but, wearing a wig is covering their hair, but showing other.. so it is the same no?
I would not feel confortable wearing a wig. your hair underneath would be a mess! loool

About the "state" of our clothes... Too right!!
Even though i am fully covered, (head to toes and face) i take good care of my jilbab and neqab. they need to be very clean, and iron! because i dont want anybody to think that i dont take care of myself!
modesty doesnt mean that we dont take care of our self! that we should look like tramp!! because there is a lot of modest clothes which are really nice now!

Being me is great!

legendoftheselkie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Oct 2008, 3:39 pm

Most Orthodox Jewish women cover their hair in some way. Whether they cover most or all of it, and what type of covering they use, is a matter of which rabbinic ruling they follow, family/community custom, and personal preference. A wig is considered a full covering according to most opinions, since it isn't the woman's own hair. It used to be obvious that a wig was being worn, but since wigs have gotten so lifelike, some prefer not to wear them, or to wear them with a hat or scarf on top. In some communities a scarf is worn with a small hairpiece of hair or silk threads (to look even less like hair) in the front- a higher level of observance being to wear only a scarf. Other opinions say that a wig is better as it is easier to conceal all the hair. Some women cheat, though, and tease some hair out in front for a more natural hairline! I feel that a scarf covering all the hair is honest and promotes a more spiritual feeling.
If you think all that's complicated, just ask about Orthodox men's hat styles!

ghouna
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Oct 2008, 4:07 pm

you are tempting me... Go on tell me!! !
we often go to a park, and it is a great park because there are a lot of muslim and jewish. And yes i noticed they've got different style of hat, and hair (dont know the name in english of the hair on the side... )

Being me is great!

M02
Raven
Raven

14 Oct 2008, 9:29 am

some sects believe that modesty also encompasses not setting themselves apart in appearance too much and not drawing attention to themselves. That is why some women will wear wigs and more modern styles that are still modest- with long sleeves, long skirts, higher necklines, but that follow fashion trends in cuts, colour and fabric.

Someone wearing a full burqa to a nude beach might be drawing attention to herself. Wearing a wig and nude fat suit wouldn't make you fit in either. Best to avoid those places anyway.

I still think that covering should be a matter of choice. I suppose if some women choose sheer scarves, it is still their choice. We just can't be foolish in thinking that if we are trying to be modest and go without the proper undergarments that "no one will notice".

I am thinking about the time that I saw a man walking to the mosque wearing a robe. He didn't have on enough layers and EVERYTHING was apparent under one layer of fabric. Men need to be more modest sometimes too.

ummAR
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Oct 2008, 4:54 am

Quote:
Someone wearing a full burqa to a nude beach might be drawing attention to herself.

...but she would still be covering what should be covered which is the point.

Quote:
Men need to be more modest sometimes too.

Absolutely.

Quote:
He didn't have on enough layers and EVERYTHING was apparent under one layer of fabric.

I can't imagine he meant to do that. I'm sure if the mistake had been pointed out to him, he wouldn't do it again. Thing is, however, immodesty from men does not have quite the same effect as when it is from women. It is more repulsive than appealing.

legendoftheselkie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Oct 2008, 6:59 pm

Ghouna- didn't know anyone would take me up on that! Most groups of Chassidic men wear payot, or sidelocks, in observance of the Biblical injunction not to cut the hair on the sides of the head. Some Sefardim, or Eastern Jews, wear them also. Other Orthodox men refrain from cutting the hair there close, but do not let it grow long.
As for hats- complicated!! ! Basically the type of yarmulke worn, and hat- no hat and which style, depends on the background/group the man belongs to. And there are loads of those.
A nude beach? I don't see an observant Muslim, Jew or very religious Christian going there at all. What to wear would be the least of the problems!

ummAR

16 Oct 2008, 6:26 am

What's the difference between a nude beach and a "normal" beach? Exactly how many square inches of *strategically-placed* fabric? I would avoid them all, unless deserted.

legendoftheselkie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Oct 2008, 11:31 am

Exactly, mixed swimming is prohibited in Judaism. The conversation was just getting so out there with the naked fat suit! That would be way hotter (in the temperature sense) than just wearing clothes!

M02
Raven
Raven

17 Oct 2008, 7:52 am

You can't always be covered and "fit in". Wearing a wig and a nude fat suit, you would be covered but look naked like everyone else.

I heard that some covered women have trouble finding hair salons in Canada. They need a No Male space. They end up having their hair done in a closet or basement. I thought that other women would just do hair in their homes for them or there must be female hair stylist that travel home to home.

Hovis
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2008, 11:46 am

Dilemma wrote:
Quote:
Age 6 used to be the normal age for marriage in India, so it's possible they just married them young back then. I don't think her age then has anything to do with Islam now.

Thank you! :) People like to judge Muslims and Islam by that one fact, but really, it is a non issue now and was a non issue then!

Agreed: Muhammed was simply a man of his time, not some sort of deranged paedophile. In the same era, girls routinely married in Western countries at very little older than that.

legendoftheselkie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Dec 2008, 4:47 pm

I'm not Muslim, or any expert on Islam, but I've read that Muhammad (pbuh) married several of his wives in order to save them from shameful or hazardous situations at home.

Dilemma
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 May 2009, 4:55 pm

*comes back in WAY late*

Legend, yes that's true. Aisha was the only virgin he married, the other women were all divorced or widowed and he married them for several reasons, not least of which to help them and to show muslim men there is NO shame in marrying a divorced woman and you need not married a young virgin to have a fulfilling marital experience. Unfortunately, that is something that has been lost of many of our men in this time.