Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Quarky
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Apr 2012, 6:57 pm

I was just wondering, what is it like to be pregnant as an aspie? It might bother me, but... I've never been pregnant. Any thoughts?

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2012, 7:26 pm

Not female, but I would imagine that except for the pain of childbirth and that Aspies are generally more sensitive to pain than out NT counterparts, it's not that much different than what NTs endure.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Quarky
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Apr 2012, 7:46 pm

I just think that something inside of me would throw me off.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2012, 10:09 pm

In Rudy Simone's book Aspergirls she talked about what great variation there is on the spectrum-
some women say they were glowing, and felt incredibly happy and beautiful throughout the entire experience,
and then others were sick constantly and miserable.

From what she wrote, it would seem there's as much variation with it on the spectrum as within the NT population,
though maybe it's the case that with Aspergirls the experience tends to be more toward one end or the other, without much in between,
as so often seems the case for people with Aspergers.

to his Interest."

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2012, 10:27 pm

ValentineWiggin wrote:
In Rudy Simone's book Aspergirls she talked about what great variation there is on the spectrum-
some women say they were glowing, and felt incredibly happy and beautiful throughout the entire experience,

From what she wrote, it would seem there's as much variation with it on the spectrum as within the NT population,
though maybe it's the case that with Aspergirls the experience tends to be more toward one end or the other, without much in between,

I have a question is their book like this for boys? Also dang why wasn't I born a girl :x

mv
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2012, 9:14 am

I've been pregnant, twice. It felt very... clinical for me, the whole thing. I didn't really connect with the fetus in a way like I perceive some NTs do, instead I thought, "here's something I have to be responsible for, that I need to do everything in my power to make sure it grows and develops properly." As a result, I felt like I needed to know and control everything, which unfortunately is difficult to do, especially in today's medical environment (metropolitan US culture, I mean).

I had one good pregnancy (no morning sickness, no pain, no distension) and one bad pregnancy (still no morning sickness, but terrible edema and rib nerve pain and constant discomfort). I had one bad labor (no progress, had to give me drugs to make it happen) and one good labor (natural, start to finish).

Make no mistake, childbirth hurts a lot. Take your worst menstrual cycle and multiply that by 20 (and by 100, at times). I was fortunate to be built for childbirth (I'll leave it at that) but it still hurt during the labor. Recovery was instant, for me.

Having to stay in the hospital for 2 days afterwards was excruciating for someone who likes a lot of control, like me (I wanted to go home right away, I was absolutely fine after the births). Being sleep deprived and reduced to being a milk cow for your child is also very difficult to get past, at least until you "bond" with your baby.

Any other questions, let me know!

MusicMama
Raven
Raven

04 Apr 2012, 12:30 pm

I've only ever actually felt like a woman or like I was really feminine when I was pregnant and nursing. I enjoyed it for the most part... until the very end when things get much more uncomfortable... I had all three of my children at home in a birth tub so there were no strangers around and I had complete control over my environment during labor and birth. I was also in the warm water which always makes everything better for me :)

Birth can be very painful and it's almost always going to be the hardest work you've ever done, but afterwards it's completely over and the feelings of elation after giving birth naturally are incredible!

Also, if you do need pain meds, there are some decent ones available nowadays so you could always go that route if needed/wanted.

To me being pregnant feels something like how I imagine an apartment building must feel like because I have a tenant :P

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2012, 11:36 pm

I think there is no difference in aspies and NTs being pregnant. When I was pregnant, I felt normal during the whole thing despite that my back would feel uncomfortable off and on starting around 27 weeks and my insides would get squished up when I sit and it felt uncomfortable and then around eight months in my pregnancy, my legs would get sore after I be on them for two hours but I dealt with it. Plus the baby kicking inside me never bothered me. I was lucky to not have any pregnancy symptoms or side effects except my boobs felt sore off and on. But I admit it made me more NT because I was more emotional and expressed my feelings better and it drove my husband crazy because he was not used to it, same as when I became affectionate and then wanting it more. I also enjoyed being pregnant and feeling the baby inside me and pressing on him when he press against my belly. I also wasn't that emotional like lot of pregnant women were nor bitchy as them. But I did feel more sensitive than tough like I used to. Things bothered me more. But it took me a while to get excited about having a baby due to a miscarriage I had before. I wouldn't even tell anyone I was pregnant until after I had the ultra sound which was at 20 weeks. I think I was starting to feel excited about it around October when I was seven months pregnant.

The pain of childbirth, wasn't too bad. The contractions felt like very bad period cramps/constipation cramps except they were stronger. I still had an epidural though because the contractions were getting very strong and I thought I wouldn't be able to deal with it so I asked for one before it got too late. I have been through intense pain before when I had a miscarriage and had to have a suction be done and it hurt very much and was the worst pain ever I experienced. They told me labor was worse than that and told me now I know what labor feels like and it hurts more. But it didn't feel worse than that when it happened and I don't know if it would have been worse than that if I didn't get an epidural but I sure never wanted to go to that intense pain again so I got one. I felt nothing when my son came out. Only thing I felt were the contractions. I bet the contractions would have felt a lot worse if I did not have that medicine in me.

HiraikotsuRider
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Apr 2012, 4:27 am

Quarky wrote:
I just think that something inside of me would throw me off.

But it's a BABY! Don't you think that's just incredible? I can't wait to be pregnant.

melisa27
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Apr 2012, 10:13 am

ValentineWiggin wrote:

-Sweet I also have that book! It's the best thing I ever invested in. For understanding myself as a misdiagnosed Aspies and the lack of knowledge that has always been burden with not knowing how much it can effectively throw possible traits of HFA out the window for most families whom have daughters instead of autistic sons.