index 13%  13%  [ 42 ]
ring 36%  36%  [ 117 ]
ring 37%  37%  [ 120 ]
Total votes : 321

superfantastic
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2006, 2:13 pm

Supposedly, your ring finger gets longer according to how much testosterone you were exposed to in your mother's womb, so usually men have ring fingers longer than their index and vice versa for women.
(My own ring one is longer.)
And according to one theory, AS and autism are caused by an "extreme male brain" (the systemizing type).

Just wondered if most women here had longer ring fingers. Of course it could be all wrong.

Z
Raven
Raven

31 Aug 2006, 2:22 pm

For those of you, who like me, can't remember the names for the fingers beyond "thumb" and "pinky" here is a helpful diagram (courtesy of Google Image Search):

http://www.guitar-lessons-central.com/i ... s/hand.jpg

superfantastic
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2006, 2:46 pm

Nice diagram.
Index is the pointing one (right next to the thumb) and the ring is next to the pinky.

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2006, 3:36 pm

It's interesting how this theory has gotten around. I've seen it being used to explain everything from autism, lesbianism and criminal behavior. I started noticing all the lesbians I have met have the longer ring finger. However I hear a lot of Aspergers women have longer ring fingers yet only a small percentage of them are lesbian. So I think the theory is flawed. Yet its still interested to check people in town for long ring fingers.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2006, 4:19 pm

I am an Androgene...as I have long suspected...my fingers are exactly the same length.

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

en_una_isla
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2006, 4:26 pm

On my left hand, the 2 fingers are almost the same length. On my right hand, the ring finger is noticable longer.

Chat_Noir
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Aug 2006, 9:24 pm

en_una_isla wrote:
On my left hand, the 2 fingers are almost the same length. On my right hand, the ring finger is noticable longer.

I'm the same as that, except its the index finger thats longer on one hand, while the other one has the same length for both.

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2006, 10:32 pm

How do you measure your finger for this?
Do you measure from the crease lines on the inside of the hands or from the knuckle??? :?

superfantastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2006, 7:20 pm

I think it doesn't matter, as long as you measure both using the same method. Still, I think it was supposed to be from the crease.

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2006, 6:25 pm

My index finger is longer. :)

Musical_Lottie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2006, 6:47 pm

Left hand: ring finger noticeably longer. Right hand: ring finger longer, but not as noticeable.

goomba
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Oct 2006, 12:51 am

My right hand has a noticeably longer ring finger, and my left hand's ring finger is only slightly longer than my index finger.

By the way, my second toes are much longer than my big toes. Sharing is caring.

Sixela
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Oct 2006, 1:11 pm

:lol: Well, I just learned something I already knew about myself but I find it extremely funny. I'm having a rough day. HAHAHAHA. My ring fingers on both hands are like a centimeter longer than my index. I do have an extremely 'male' like mind and a lot of people take me for a dike (I use that word in the nicest way). I've only been attracted to one other women my whole life, and for like 2 seconds. I don't know if I could even handle a lesbian relationship and personally I wouldn't choose one anyway, but, :lol: HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, I find this so halarious, oh, sugar, I think I'm gonna get drunk now. When I think of all the times people in the pot-hole tinty town I grew up in seeing me and screaming out DIKE!! !! HA! Someone sedate me.

Cade
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2006, 1:29 pm

They're extremely close, about 1 mm difference on the left, and 2 mm on the right. But on both hands, my index is longer.

However, I read another article not too long ago that some researchers thought testerone in the womb did the exact opposite, made the index longer. They did this study with "alpha male" type men, and found they tended to have longer index fingers, like some kind of bio-physio indicator of authority (all the better to point it in your face, I guess). They theroized it might be to due to testerone in the womb. Interesting, but it seems ot directly conterdicts the autism t-in-womb theory, don't it?

MishLuvsHer2Boys
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2006, 2:37 pm

My index fingers are only slightly marginally longer in length than my ring fingers.

SamuraiSaxen
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2006, 11:53 pm

My ring fingers are longer than my index fingers, and it's a big difference