I hope that this isn't too controversial...?

Page 1 of 4 [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Stimshieme
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Nov 2007, 7:17 pm

Can I just ask the women Aspies a tiny little question...?

You know how the NT girls are always trying to be popular and sacrifice their own things to fit in? Well do Aspie girls like to keep their figure like NT girls do? I mean social pressure must be hard for you more so than male Aspies, right? (Or so I've read on Wikipedia)

I'm a male by the way...sorry for this if it offends you but it is my first time on the site...

gwenevyn
l'esprit de l'escalier
l'esprit de l'escalier

16 Nov 2007, 7:34 pm

I don't notice any difference in the percentage of overweight aspies and the percentage of overweight women in the general population.

However, I think that aspie women do generally pay a lot less attention to clothing and makeup than NT women, overall.

Personally I happen to care a great deal about my appearance but there are certain things I won't do, such as apply very complex kinds of makeup. By complex I mean fake lashes, using lash curlers, blush, high/lowlights, bronzer, etc. I'll do lipstick or gloss and a small amount of eye makeup, and foundation as needed. More for special occasions and very little on the average day. I don't like to have hairstyles that require much maintenance, either, so I usually just keep it long.

What aspie women will/won't do (in terms of beauty) seems to vary a great deal and can also vary over time. I know an aspie girl who used to refuse to wear any makeup at all because she considered it not to be "genuine" but when she finally had a steady boyfriend she liked, she started to care more about looking pretty. I try to look up-to-date but not super trendy, because I'm not interested in the subject of fashion but I want to enjoy the benefits that come with looking reasonably good.

What's your motivation in asking this question?

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2007, 7:39 pm

Well, it would depend on the individual I suppose. Personally, I'm a bit overweight and I am appalled at the lengths some women will go to in order to be thin.

Stimshieme
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Nov 2007, 7:50 pm

I'm curious about Aspie girls in case I start to date them instead of the NT's. I guess it would be comforting to know that a girl Aspie likes to colour her hair (I LOVE purple/Blue/blonde stripes on black hair...it makes it look SOOOO cool...) since I'm currently in love out-of-love with an NT...

I'm so glad I found this place...things were looking bleak...

By the way thanks for that long answer...

Stimshieme
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Nov 2007, 7:56 pm

...kewl...

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2007, 7:59 pm

i like to work out cause it makes me feel good, physically

any makeup i wear is to cover up the sleepless nights.... im tired of ppl always saying how tired i look (no matter how much sleep i actually did get)

im pretty low maintenance though

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

gwenevyn
l'esprit de l'escalier
l'esprit de l'escalier

16 Nov 2007, 8:11 pm

Stimshieme wrote:
I'm curious about Aspie girls in case I start to date them instead of the NT's. I guess it would be comforting to know that a girl Aspie likes to colour her hair (I LOVE purple/Blue/blonde stripes on black hair...it makes it look SOOOO cool...) since I'm currently in love out-of-love with an NT...

I think you'll just find that everybody is different, aspies and NTs alike. These sorts of decisions are highly personal and not very logical. There are a lot of girls here who like to color their hair all sorts of interesting ways. Hair color happens to be where I draw the line presently (I'd feel like a guy who liked me with my hair colored didn't really like me the way I am--as inconsistent as that thought is with my makeup stance), but I used to do it all the time in the past. But now I feel this way because I had a very controlling, abusive ex who always nagged about wanting to see me blonde. I'd be more likely to tattoo a guy's name on my face than dye my hair at his request because of the negative emotional associations that I have with the subject. :P

I'm a blabbermouth today. :D Basically what I'm saying is that in my experience aspie women often have very strong views on these subjects, but those views vary a lot.

Quote:
I'm so glad I found this place...things were looking bleak...

By the way thanks for that long answer...

Welcome! Glad to have you here. :)

ooohprettycolors
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Nov 2007, 8:57 pm

I have a funny thing about not dyeing my hair. I considerit to be fake and un-genuine, although I realize this is somewhat of a ridiculous notion, seeing as I wear makeupm which is essentially painting my face. I think the difference is that make-up is temporary adornment that can be changed everyday or removed to fit my mood, whereas a different hair color is there from day to day.

Chibi_Neko
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2007, 9:15 pm

Its really hard for me to answer this question on a personal level because I have Hyper-metabolism, I have a tough time putting weight on, so I can't say "I wish I could loose weight" like some NTs.

I do however think that the precetage of people who want to keep their figure is the same with NT and Aspies, and it's quite understandable, aspies don't like change when it comes to certain things which can include their body depending on the person, there could be some people who are obsessive with staying a certain weight and go nuts if they gain or lose a single pound.

gwenevyn
l'esprit de l'escalier
l'esprit de l'escalier

16 Nov 2007, 9:16 pm

ooohprettycolors wrote:
I have a funny thing about not dyeing my hair. I considerit to be fake and un-genuine, although I realize this is somewhat of a ridiculous notion, seeing as I wear makeupm which is essentially painting my face. I think the difference is that make-up is temporary adornment that can be changed everyday or removed to fit my mood, whereas a different hair color is there from day to day.

:D We agree again!

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2007, 9:40 pm

I worry about my weight from time to time...I have been moderately overweight for a good percentage of my life and find it difficult to keep a regimine going...it has been a long time..and i have been under alot of stress etc....

I have been a hair-hopper...and due to a certain level of cluelessness, I have gone through some pretty bad hair phases.and...um....I think i am in one right now. I have stopped coloring my hair...I got sick of it after so many experiments gone wrong....I have no idea about blow drying or what to do with styling products...I figure, the less chemicals getting absorbed into my scalp the better....often times I just keep my hair covered with a hat or bandanna.

Lately I have been worrying more about my makeup because I have been going through some bad self esteem issues and I am (physically) getting older...
I like lipstick and powder alot.

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2007, 10:46 pm

Ask lola! (lightning88), she loves all the girlie stuff :P

Belle77
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2007, 1:09 am

I do care about being in shape...not so much what my weight is, but that I'm toned and healthy. Sadly, this has fallen by the wayside due to depression over the last few years.

As for girlie stuff, I never wear makeup, I wear whatever clothes are comfortable, and I cut my hair with a Flowbee and just let it hang however it dries after a washing.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2007, 2:21 am

I like to keep a healthy figure because I feel better when I do.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

17 Nov 2007, 2:36 am

Who_Am_I wrote:
I like to keep a healthy figure because I feel better when I do.

Ditto.
I like to eat healthy and keep fit.
As far as clothing goes, I wear whatever I don't really care.
I do pay a little more attention to my hair because it is rather frizzy...I hardly ever wear make up and if I do I make sure it is "cruelty free".

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2007, 3:00 am

Unsure how to answer. I DO care! That being said, I may not care in the same way, or for the same motives as a NT women - unknown. For me (just speaking objectively, not making value judgments), I am considered very pretty. This is, I guess, part of my identity. So I am conscientious - I like being pretty. I fully realize many Aspie/HFA women are somewhat asexual &/or homosexual - this is just fine, sexuality is a continuum. For me, I am very feminine, since always. This is by nature though, not convention. I am very heterosexual.

The weird part is that I think like a man (except the sexuality part). I am analytical, mechanically inclinded, and just prefer men. I found many women very confusing. Actually, I find NTs confusing but women especially so! I do not know if this answer your question, but I do wear make-up and I prefer dresses/skirts. This is probably just a form of expression and I don't feel, for me, this is disingenuous since it feels 'right' for me.

I appreciate other women who are feel fine with leaving their appearance to more random factors, but I do care. Maybe I am vain. Throughout the day, when I'm working, busy, etc. I'm not focusing on what I look like and I am sometimes taken aback when someone says, "you look really nice." I do not know how to take comments. I just look like how I look.

Of course, I know there are different ideals for beauty (cultural, etc.). I truly think I look like an Aspie/HFA women. Sort of a Wednesday Addams look, except I'm blonde (dark blonde). I've seen some of the women on this forum that I think are really pretty. I like diversity in looks and I admire those who have the confidence to dress differently or not be so conscientious. I tend to be perfectionist in general terms too.