Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

musicboxforever
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2010, 7:18 am

I have a sneaky suspicion that guys might think I am too nice and won't be interested in them sexually.

I'm gleaning this idea from a couple of things people have said to me. One of my friends said to me one day "you always look very wholesome." I was wearing a green and yellow flowery wrap over bouse from next and a long black linen skirt. I suppose it was wholesome.

Another was this, a guy I went to college with said to me last week, "you'll end up with someone epic". He would never ask me out, but then he's alot younger than me, I was a mature student.

So do guys look at me and think I am unreachable?
Anyone else have similar problems? This is different form unapproachable. Do they think you are too good for them, or too intelligent, or too sweet to be sexual because you aren't a party goer?

Invincible
Raven
Raven

06 Jul 2010, 8:28 am

I hope you don't mind if I interject here. If you do, I apologize.

I don't think it's the way you dress, your intellect, your wholesomeness or any of the other things you pointed out that's a hindrance at all.

It's today's society and culture that's the problem.

Coming from a guy... we're quote on quote morons when it comes to looking for a nice girl.

Sallamandrina
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2010, 8:31 am

My husband recently told me that although he was "smitten" the first time we've met, he was sure he wouldn't stand a chance with "a woman like me" :roll: . He didn't even asked for my number and I was very friendly - at least by my standards :lol:

I don't know what to say as he apparently needed 8 years to tell me this, but it's something I've heard before - about other women too. Since I'm not dating any more it's not an issue for me, but it was shocking to find out there's such a huge gap between other people's perception and my own.

That's probably a different matter, but how's your body language? I've been told that even when I smile or act friendly my body language often sends rejection or boredom signals.

musicboxforever
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2010, 9:08 am

Invincible -
Oh, no I'm not saying that these things are a hinderance. they are certainly not things that I am going to change about myself. But I do have to exist within society and I am aware that I am different. My mother was the same. Her twin sister would go out to parties as a teenager and my mum didn't. Her sister got all the guys and she didn't. Although my mum did find my dad and settled down quite young. But he likes that she is different.

Sallamandrina -
Yes, my body language is rubbish. I don't do the whole come on thing. I'm not touchy feely like my sister is with guys, like she will pat them on the arm, which isn't a big thing really, but I am not tactile. I am in theory. But I don't actually do tactile. I think I would be if someone wanted me to be, but I don't know how to tell if a guy will be freaked if I pat his arm or whether he will be ok with it. But I don't know if that has to do with seeming too nice.

Someone I know said the other day that she knows alot of young women who are all very nice, but guys just aren't interested in them. That's another thing that made me wonder. Do guys find a girl who is too nice a bit scary? Do they think she will never want them, that she would rather go for someone more "epic" whatever that means?

Sallamandrina
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2010, 9:28 am

Hmmm... I've read your OP again - if you know these guys well enough it might be worth it to ask for more details - for example was it something along the lines "this is a really nice/sweet girl and should be treated right" and maybe didn't feel up to if, think it would take too much work/commitment - especially if they are rather young? Or from your last paragraph - this woman is so pretty/intelligent/classy that she's out of my league and probably has very high standards (waits for someone "epic")?

musicboxforever wrote:
Someone I know said the other day that she knows alot of young women who are all very nice, but guys just aren't interested in them.

That sounds like a "nice" way to say a woman is boring or has no sex appeal. The question is - guys are not interested or they think you are not interested?

musicboxforever
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2010, 9:58 am

Sallamandrina wrote:

musicboxforever wrote:
Someone I know said the other day that she knows alot of young women who are all very nice, but guys just aren't interested in them.

That sounds like a "nice" way to say a woman is boring or has no sex appeal.

No, she's a very genuine person. She wouldn't say someone was boring. These are people she really thinks are nice and wonders why on earth they are single. Why hasn't somene snapped them up yet? But then is that what guys think? that these women are boring and have no sex appeal? I feel like I'm going round in circles here and I'm losing track of what I'm saying.

Sallamandrina wrote:
The question is - guys are not interested or they think you are not interested?

I have no idea. None what-so-ever. Henceforth i have given up. It's too complicated for me. I don't enjoy the stress of it all. I have a couple of friends that may or may not be interested in me and I'm sick of trying to work it out, but I don't want to create an awkward situation by actually asking. I imagine the answer is no. But in general, I'm just curious about other people's experiences.

Sallamandrina
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2010, 10:15 am

musicboxforever wrote:

I feel like I'm going round in circles here and I'm losing track of what I'm saying.

I have no idea. None what-so-ever. Henceforth i have given up. It's too complicated for me.

I shouldn't even offer suggestions here - I'm completely clueless myself. Any subtle way of showing interest is lost on me. I'm also somehow marginally aware that something in my appearance/demeanour sends contradictory signals that I can't seem to control 8O

BigK
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Jul 2010, 11:44 am

Nonverbal communication

Are you sending the right signals? Are you understanding the signals people are sending you?

It's probably worth getting a book on it. Fascinating stuff.

"How can it not know what it is?"

Invincible
Raven
Raven

06 Jul 2010, 12:08 pm

My experience with girls is that I'm mainly the turtle... meaning that I mostly hide in my "shell" as most would put it.

Too put it bluntly, I hide in my "shell" mainly because I'm not a people person, lack of social skills, my lack of trust towards most people in general, and around girls or people in general I'm the shy/quiet one most of the time because it's hard for me to open up to people in general unless it's a common interest.

Last edited by Invincible on 06 Jul 2010, 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mightyzebra
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2010, 2:11 pm

musicboxforever wrote:
I have a sneaky suspicion that guys might think I am too nice and won't be interested in them sexually.

I'm gleaning this idea from a couple of things people have said to me. One of my friends said to me one day "you always look very wholesome." I was wearing a green and yellow flowery wrap over bouse from next and a long black linen skirt. I suppose it was wholesome.

Another was this, a guy I went to college with said to me last week, "you'll end up with someone epic". He would never ask me out, but then he's alot younger than me, I was a mature student.

So do guys look at me and think I am unreachable?
Anyone else have similar problems? This is different form unapproachable. Do they think you are too good for them, or too intelligent, or too sweet to be sexual because you aren't a party goer?

Personally, in my opinion saying someone is "wholesome" is kind of flirtatious and womanizing, almost, as if you're an object rather than a person. This is just me though, others might find that "compliment" very rewarding. And saying "You'll end up with somone epic"... What was the age difference? If it was something like fifteen years or something, he probably was saying it to be nice and thought you were out of his league. If he is slightly closer to your age, he's probably just being really horrible and sarcastic, although of course the tone of voice with which he would have said it would have made a difference.

"The natural world is the greatest source of excitement; the greatest source of visual beauty; the greatest source of intellectual interest. It is the greatest source of so much in life that makes life worth living." David Attenborough

Invincible
Raven
Raven

06 Jul 2010, 5:08 pm

musicboxforever wrote:
Someone I know said the other day that she knows alot of young women who are all very nice, but guys just aren't interested in them. That's another thing that made me wonder. Do guys find a girl who is too nice a bit scary? Do they think she will never want them, that she would rather go for someone more "epic" whatever that means?

Most guys pass over the nice girl for the girl who's wearing the latest skimpy fashions or who is more outgoing (the socializing, club hopping, etc.).

Do I find nice girls scary... the short and long answer is no.

For me, it's the opposite.

I find nice girls more appealing than the aggressive trendy party/club-going girl.

musicboxforever
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2010, 8:39 am

The younger guy is only 5 years younger, but we are totally different and dont view each other as potentially having a relationship. He's more into parties than me. He is genuine, we do get on well.

Maybe it's not because girls are too nice, maybe it's just talking to anyone you fancy is just scary. That's how I feel anyway, just scared and awkward.

MONIQUEIJ
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2010, 2:20 pm

most guys find me too quiet and weird. :roll:

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2010, 3:39 pm

I have never, ever been told I am too nice. I have, on the other hand, been called a b***h, a robot, heartless, etc etc.

Quote:
Do they think you are too good for them, or too intelligent, or too sweet to be sexual because you aren't a party goer?

I don't think anyone would admit to thinking I was too good for them. I was once dumped because I was 'too smart.' He said he didn't want someone smarter than him (he didn't say this to my face). I've recently learned that I come off as 'uninterested' in sexual matters, but not because I'm not a party goer. More because I'm not the kind of girl that doesn't rely on guys to be happy, and apparently it's threatening.

All in all, no I'm not seen as too nice. But I do have the same issue as you, that guys don't usually see me as relationship material. I usually catch the interest of either the insecure guys who want just anyone, or a really strange/interesting guy who interests me back 8) So I try to not complain, lol.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2010, 11:02 pm

But I am too nice to be interested in guys, in a sexual manner.

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2010, 9:06 am

I'm only nice for the first month or two :P