Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

NeenBean
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Aug 2010, 10:29 pm

I sort of hate to ask this, because it's nearly impossible to articulate. But I'll try:

Ever since I was a child, I will, seemingly at random times, be overcome by an intensely disgusting (not disgusted--DISGUSTING) sensation. I believe it's primarily a mentally perceived feeling, but if I had to put a location on it, I would say it's most tangible in the chest and/or upper abdomen. It is absolutely unbearable and induces a strong, desperate urge to scream or run as I fast as I can in order to find relief. Sometimes it happens when I'm touched; sometimes it happens when I'm sitting around doing nothing. I can't identify an obvious trigger for it. It can last for several minutes and reminds me a bit of restless leg syndrome, only it's in your body and your mind.

The only time I ever felt anyone else experienced it was when in high school a friend told me she couldn't go braless beneath her shirt because it "gave her that feeling, like your father is molesting you." Now, I'm pretty sure she'd never been molested by her father (her tone was certainly blithe enough, and she was a wonderfully strange, candid person), and I have never been molested, but I believed at that moment that I knew exactly what she meant, and that she had felt what I felt. It's an unpleasant description, but an accurately evocative one, in my opinion.

So . . . does ANYONE know what I'm talking about? Have any of you experienced this? My whole life I've wanted to know what this is, what causes it. Maybe I shouldn't have confined this to the Women's Discussion forum, but I feel more at ease here . . .

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 10:48 pm

Sometimes... I think I know what you're talking about. Have you ever gotten a "jolt" with it?

NeenBean
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Aug 2010, 11:05 pm

Hmmm . . . I don't think so. It comes on suddenly and unexpectedly, but I don't recall experiencing anything I'd describe as a jolt.

EDIT: Do you mean like a sort of adrenaline jolt in your heart? In that case, maybe. Not always, though.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2010, 1:31 am

You may be speaking of a form of akathisia, which is an inner restlessness, which is usually a side effect of certain medications, but it can also be idiopathic or caused by other things.

If these bouts are short, they may also be temporal lobe seizures, which can envoke strong emotions and abdominal sensations.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2010, 12:51 pm

Chronos wrote:
You may be speaking of a form of akathisia, which is an inner restlessness, which is usually a side effect of certain medications, but it can also be idiopathic or caused by other things.

If these bouts are short, they may also be temporal lobe seizures, which can envoke strong emotions and abdominal sensations.

wow thank you for this! i have gotten like that when i was in the process of weaning off my anti-depressant meds. or if i accidentally combined methocarbamol with diphemhydramine. or if i took an opiate or opioid.

it feels like a sickening restlessness (i call it the shit-or-go-blind sensation).

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2010, 1:15 pm

Yeah, mine were worse while medicated. And what I meant by a "jolt" in my case affects both my heart and stomach.

NeenBean
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Aug 2010, 6:11 pm

Quote:
it feels like a sickening restlessness (i call it the sh**-or-go-blind sensation).

That would certainly seem to describe it. I've never really been medicated, however, and after reading about akathisia, I don't think that's what I'm experiencing. Pretty sure they're not seizures, either, but since it described something like it as an aura preceding a temporal lobe seizure, I now wonder if it could be an aura related to my occasional migraines. I didn't think I had auras, but I experienced such a sensation a few days ago and had a migraine one or two days later. I'll have to start writing down when I experience them and comparing what follows. Thanks for the clue.

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2010, 6:58 pm

I really do know that feeling...almost like being suffocated, shamed, and angered all at the same time. I was molested by my father and at another time by another youth. He was 13, I was 7. I'm 48 now and do not experience it anymore. Time did cure most but not all.
Separation from perpetrators helps a lot.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2010, 11:25 pm

I got that feeling a lot when I was on anti-depressants. Sometimes it would even result in me just randomly bursting into tears, but more often I would go for a run until it was gone.

I still get it, but nowhere near as often. I suppose it's from my bipolar? I know the anti-depressants only ever amplified my swings... especially my manic phases.

alone
Toucan
Toucan

25 Aug 2010, 7:01 am

Weird, I've never been able to describe this to anyone. I think the reason the molestation bit comes up is because the feeling is weirdly skin crawling, creepy and disgusting. It rushes over me like a wave, like a flash of sickness and comes without explanation. It has bothered me all my life. When I was a child it scared me, a very deep angsty frightening twisted rubberband that made me want to run or scream to untwist it, get it out. It is physical and emotional. If I was alone and trapped somewhere I could relieve it by leaning over and banging my hands on my forehead. The forehead, temples seem to connect to it somehow.

I have found some relief in rubbing my head, temples and then move around. I also found some relief in drinking more water. It doesn't come as often when I stick to a routine and pay close attention to doing my daily chores and daily grooming. If I put either of these off it triggers it. But sometimes it just happens when I am happy and content. It is like I am so unsettled, so out of place, nervous with the disgusting, creepy stuff all over it.

:oops:

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2010, 4:23 pm

alone wrote:
Weird, I've never been able to describe this to anyone. I think the reason the molestation bit comes up is because the feeling is weirdly skin crawling, creepy and disgusting. It rushes over me like a wave, like a flash of sickness and comes without explanation. It has bothered me all my life. When I was a child it scared me, a very deep angsty frightening twisted rubberband that made me want to run or scream to untwist it, get it out. It is physical and emotional. If I was alone and trapped somewhere I could relieve it by leaning over and banging my hands on my forehead. The forehead, temples seem to connect to it somehow.

I have found some relief in rubbing my head, temples and then move around. I also found some relief in drinking more water. It doesn't come as often when I stick to a routine and pay close attention to doing my daily chores and daily grooming. If I put either of these off it triggers it. But sometimes it just happens when I am happy and content. It is like I am so unsettled, so out of place, nervous with the disgusting, creepy stuff all over it.

:oops:

Have you seen Chronos's post about temporal lobe seizures? Because you mentioned getting relief from banging your forehead/temples. Can a bad memory cause a seizure??
This is getting VERY interesting.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2010, 4:48 pm

That's a flashback, not a seizure.

NeenBean
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Aug 2010, 4:48 pm

I'm so glad some other people seem to know what I'm talking about (can't say I'm glad any of us experience it, lol). I truly don't think it has anything to do with a seizure in my case, but I'm going to have the try temple stimulation . . . when it happens, I'm probably willing to try anything.

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2010, 6:50 am

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:

I know, but what I mean to say is can a flashback cause a seizure? or can a trigger to a flashback send someone right into a seizure instead? Could just be a seizure on its own without anything else driving it. :(

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2010, 7:51 am

I know the feeling.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2010, 11:11 am

RightGalaxy wrote:
TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:

I know, but what I mean to say is can a flashback cause a seizure? or can a trigger to a flashback send someone right into a seizure instead? Could just be a seizure on its own without anything else driving it. :(

Oh. That I don't know. I don't really have much experience with seizures.