Female aspies who were loathed as teenagers?

Page 1 of 5 [ 70 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

ArtlyBookly
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Nov 2010, 1:06 pm

So I'm reading all this stuff online about girls with Asperger's, and they say that girls with the syndrome have an easier time fitting in than boys. Well, I certainly didn't, and it's left lasting scars to this day. I was cute as a little girl, then got fat all of a sudden when I hit puberty, wore loose-fitting shirts and pants all the time because they were comfortable, and didn't like washing my hair, so that all the boys would make fun of me every day about my dandruff and my weight, among other things. I guess being Black didn't help, either. Things are different now, but I still don't wear makeup, have lost weight but still struggle with it (I love to eat) and have very little desire to dress up unless it's for someone I really like. I wish I was lucky like some of you and had a natural interest in those things. Sometimes I don't even enjoy being a woman.

tSunshineLove
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Nov 2010, 1:37 pm

Sounds like me. All that 'fitting in easier' is a load of crap. What they really mean is that we're generally less disruptive and hard to handle, so we don't get noticed by the adults as much.

emlion
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2010, 2:24 pm

I fit in with boys more than girls.
Girls just tend to dislike me.
I like to play video games and play sports and all those things related to boys.
But I also like to wear makeup and dress up. But girls always dislike me.

caerulean
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Nov 2010, 2:49 pm

mwah, i wasnt. i had a couple of (alternative) friends who teased me with some of my odd traits but they were not the popular people either. the popular people left me alone more or less, ive never been much impressed with them and they kind of respected that, or so i heard from a few of those girls.

and to give an impression of how naturally fashionable i was: i used to walk around and goto school in my dads clothes ALL the time. Or i was wearing Looney Tunes stuff.

In general, i still dont really care about what i'm wearing (or how it looks) but i know that alot of people expect me to wear a certain style of clothing, otherwise they'll consider me more odd than i feel i am and dont take me serious, which used to happen all the time. So i dress appropriately but since i have my personal preferences for fabric, design and colour its always just a little bit weird, but bearable for most people :)

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2010, 3:31 pm

Stunk like teen spirit topic

I am glad I never have to go through adolescence again. :roll:

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2010, 3:53 pm

I was shunned by my peers in high school. I wasn't a fashion victim. My hair was as it is, today. I also didn't like Top 40 back than in the Late 80s and Early 90s. I didn't understand the the fads and trends of that time. My peers hated me. I wasn't crazy about them, either. Things went well for me until the Summer of 1984 and that was four years before I started high school.

lionesss
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2010, 11:40 pm

Oh my gosh I never fit in! Especially as a young teen and it has left long lasting scars but I do what I can to move beyond it as best I can through my writing. I also have a hard time with the weight thing since I love to eat. But I need to start being serious about it, it's just so hard for me to change!! I need to, as I will be starting book tours in the spring! I need to be serious now. But yes I hear you. I still don't fit in but now it is a different story. I am not supposed to fit in because I would not be writing about what I do if I did!

Mir

Spinnekop
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Nov 2010, 1:09 am

I was lucky to have a few good friends, we were known as The Nerds. My friends used to mingle with the other kids also, but I had no contact with the others. I did not talk to them, and they never acknowledged me at all. Due to my good looks I had quite a few boys in love with me - they thought me mysterious, LOL! But they were too scared to approach me.

ArtlyBookly
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Nov 2010, 1:36 am

caerulean wrote:
and to give an impression of how naturally fashionable i was: i used to walk around and goto school in my dads clothes ALL the time. Or i was wearing Looney Tunes stuff.

Oh my god, I had a "Sufferin' Succotash - Sylvester" top that I used to wear a little too much. Also, a Flags of the World T-shirt.

Spinnekop
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Nov 2010, 2:51 am

I am extremely thankful that we had to wear school uniforms. Made life so much simpler.

necroluciferia
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Nov 2010, 4:24 am

tSunshineLove wrote:
Sounds like me. All that 'fitting in easier' is a load of crap. What they really mean is that we're generally less disruptive and hard to handle, so we don't get noticed by the adults as much.

I wasn't. I was incredibly disruptive, aggressive towards teachers and other kids and acted up in nearly every lesson because I found the classes so boring. I got "asked to leave" two out of the seven high schools I attended. I was generally hated by students and teachers alike at every one of my schools, and never fit in anywhere.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2010, 5:31 am

I never found it easy to fit in with people, male or female.
Depends more on personality than gender to me.

Erisad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2010, 8:22 am

sartresue wrote:
I am glad I never have to go through adolescence again. :roll:

Amen. I don't think I could survive it a second time. My brother and I were put on antidepressants just to deal with adolescence. Oyyyy. D:

caissa
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Nov 2010, 5:58 pm

Girls (when I was young) and women (now that I am an adult) have never liked me. My worst years were 5,6,7,8,9th grades. After that my parents sent me to an "alternative" high school where there were lots of weirdos. I still was never accepted, never really had friends, but I wasn't bullied anymore. Same thing for college-- no bullying but no real friends either. My only social life was if I happened to have a boyfriend.

tomboy4good
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2010, 11:44 am

My mother despised me, girls hated me, & unfortunately nothing has changed over the years. I was an oddball long before jr. high or high school. Yes, I was shunned. I only had a few friends during my school years...most of them were just acquaintances. Still pretty much keep to myself. Women don't like me.

On a side note, I liked boyish activities much more than girlish ones. I also preferred boys clothes. Looking back on the clothes...I think it's due to the fact that girls clothes are usually about how cute they look, not about how they feel. There's an awful lot of stuff that I still can't wear because it bugs me.

Aspie Score: 173/200, NT score 31/200: very likely an Aspie
5/18/11: New Aspie test: 72/72
DX: Anxiety plus ADHD/Aspergers: inconclusive

pineapple
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2010, 4:53 pm

Yep, I was loathed. It was a relief when in high school, I started to just be ignored instead.