Are you afraid of having a child be on the spectrum?

Page 1 of 6 [ 83 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Would you prefer an NT child or one on the spectrum
NT 47%  47%  [ 51 ]
On the spectrum 53%  53%  [ 57 ]
Total votes : 108

amusedviews
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Nov 2011, 4:36 am

This is for women and men, even, who WANT children. I do know that there are plenty of AS people who don't want children. So please no comments like "Oh doesn't matter to me I don't want children."
But if you do have more of an opinion than that please post it.

I had a very rough time in school. Most of my teachers liked me but thought I was lazy and just didn't work hard enough. I was made fun of because of thinking differently. I was spoken down to by many a special ed teacher. Not all but man I have seen some special ed teachers who needed to find another line of work due to their persistent negative attitude toward the students. Sorry off topic.

And I don't say that for sympathy as I am sure many of you faced similar problems. But when I think of when I am older and have a child, I am terrified that they will suffer a similar fate. I very badly want an NT child so that they dont go through that. I know that even if they were NT they could still go through the same issues but the likeliness would be much less for an NT.

I am not sorry though to have Aspergers. It makes me who I am and how creative and out of the box I can be. But still the world is much easier for an NT since that is how the world is wired and I would prefer my child have an easier go than me.

But what does everyone here think? Would you prefer an NT or a child on the spectrum?

Solvejg
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2011, 5:11 am

spectrum. and i have 2 on it. one LFA and one aspie. I am HFA.

I honestly would have a lot of trouble with an NT child. I would not be able to cope on any level. :( I am scared to have any more children due to this fact. I am semi fortunate to be barren.

So I'm never in a rush

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2011, 5:15 am

Kid on the spectrum who be mild AS. I prefer mild. But I'd also be happy with an NT child. So far mine is normal and I am happy the way he is. I vowed to myself I won't be disappointed if he turns out to not be on the spectrum. Besides it feels wrong to hope for a special needs child. Why would someone want their kid to have a disability?

Solvejg
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2011, 5:18 am

League_Girl wrote:
Kid on the spectrum who be mild AS. I prefer mild. But I'd also be happy with an NT child. So far mine is normal and I am happy the way he is. I vowed to myself I won't be disappointed if he turns out to not be on the spectrum. Besides it feels wrong to hope for a special needs child. Why would someone want their kid to have a disability?

because some people don't view autism and aspergers as a disability but as a difference in brain functionality.

So I'm never in a rush

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2011, 5:24 am

I don't fear the posability of having children with autism or any other disability. God don't make no junk and we are all God's children. What's the difference if my kids were normal or special needs? I would still bring them into the world. I'm not a perfectionist like a lot of people are.

nikki15
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Nov 2011, 8:06 am

I just want my child to be happy.

deconstruction
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2011, 12:46 pm

I want to have children but I've never thought about it ( = them being AS). Seriously, I'm more concerned about the way I could raise them and protect them and learn them social skills. Even a NT child needs a parent's support and guidance.

VMSmith
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 8:28 am

i dont think i want kids but if i change my mind i wouldn't care whatever they were. i wouldnt be overly surprised if they turned out to be on the spectrum either. if autism turns out to be genetic then you'd expect it.

wendigopsychosis
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Nov 2011, 12:07 pm

As an aspie from two aspie parents, dating an aspie also spawned from two aspie parents, I'm willing to bet that I'll have an aspie child.

And I'm LOOKING FORWARD TO IT!! ! Oh gosh, I can't wait to have a little autistic kid. Stimming and special interests ahoy! Sure life will be more difficult to some extent, but it's not like anyone really has it easy. And as someone on the spectrum with a buttload of self awareness, I feel if anyone's qualified to raise an autistic child it would be me. I'm only 20, but the baby rabies are starting to hit me full force, and I find myself daydreaming quite often about taking my future aspie offspring to science museums and scifi releases and hacker conventions... Sigh.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2011, 3:34 pm

I have a child on the spectrum. Where she lies on it has still to be assessed properly, Aspergers is most likely going to be the eventual diagnosis. She's a lot of work, as she's particualry defiant, with intermittent hyperactivity. She's not an easy child by a long shot, unlike what my parents had with me. Her Daddy and I are permanently exhausted. But, I wouldn't change the essence of her being for anything. The positives far outweigh any negatives and she's definitely an asset to this world.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2011, 4:50 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Besides it feels wrong to hope for a special needs child. Why would someone want their kid to have a disability?

Because disabled does not mean lesser. It's quite common for deaf parents to hope for deaf children.

I can definitely see potential parents finding it easier to relate to potential spectrumite children, as well as them having fewer fears about parenting those children wrong.

Personally, I've not thought about either direction as a fear, but expect to have children on the spectrum.

(Really my fear is that I'll be unable to correctly take care of children)

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2011, 6:44 pm

I'm hoping for happy children. Kids who like themselves and respect themselves enough to say, "I'm me."

godoftruemercy
Toucan
Toucan

28 Nov 2011, 2:38 pm

NT. My life sucks, and I'm not giving this to anyone. I want my future kid to have all the advantages possible, and let's be real...this crap is no advantage. I'm planning on reproducing with a messy con artist in order to cancel out my cruddy genes.

Dingus
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Nov 2011, 10:06 am

My girlfriend says that we'll have a little Aspie, but I dont really think about it.
I dont think it means life will be better or worse. It just means it will be different to the norm. And who wants to be the norm anyway!?
I'm going to be a father for the first time mid next year btw!

deconstruction
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2011, 10:57 am

Congrats!

Dingus
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Nov 2011, 6:35 pm

deconstruction wrote:
Congrats!

THANKS!!
It's the strangest thing that's ever happened to me.